It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:37 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Installed last night. Took 10 minutes, tops.

Only tips I would give would be to be *very* careful with those small screws; if you're not paying attention you could strip them quite easily! :oops:

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Bad Memory Upgrade
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:56 am 

Attempted to update my memory to 2GB using a Kingston Value Ram stick (KVR667D2N5/2G). This is a 240pin, PC5300 CAS5 2GB DIMM stick, and my MSS wouldn't boot. Not sure if this is just a bad stick of RAM that I got, or this particular brand just isn't compatible with the MSS. When I turned it on, all I ever got was 4 rock-steady red drivebay LED's. At first I thought I hadn't seated the drive pack plane properly, but no, that wasn't the problem. Eventually, I just re-installed the OEM 512MB stick and it booted back up fine.

Has anyone else tried this brand of RAM and had any success?

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:34 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I've also used Kingston KVR667D2N5/2G and it works fine.

Thanks  
 Post subject: Re: What a difference
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:55 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

GPKing wrote:
What a difference 2G makes.
Remote Access is much quicker. The console is more responsive. File transfers are a little faster.

Thanks to www.homeserverhacks.com for the tutorial. I would certainly recommend that over the www.myhomeserver.com one. Much more illustrated and detailed. Also, the Philips #00 screwdriver is the way to go.

Thanks guys for a job well done researching the memory and brand options. P.S. If you want to upgrade, do so now until 1/31/08. Purchase the Patriot memory from Newegg. It'll cost you only $30 after rebate. That's a total bargain !!!

wow thanks for info....

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:19 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Greg H wrote:
PC2-4800 RAM? I never seen that . . .
I've seen PC2-4200 and then PC2-5300.

Where did 4800 pop in it?

at circuit right now is PC2-5400 DD2

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:22 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Ok. I got my server set up on Wednesday and just got done doing the 2 gig memory upgrade. I changed both the initial and maximum paging file size to 2015 per the recommendation of the WHS pop up box. Do these settings sound correct?

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:43 am 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

The normal recommendation of 1.5 times the amount of RAM is a good place to start.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:55 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Thanks. 3022 it is then. For some odd reason, it was only recommending 2015. I haven't bothered to mess with that setting on my clients since the desktops have 4 gigs physical and the limitation is 3 gigs that 32 bit OS will recognize.

I can not believe how much more snappy the connector loads and the remote desktop load is. Well worth $25.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:26 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Making your page file 2048 or 3072 Megabytes isn't going to make a big difference unless you're actually using that much swap file. If you are, I think you have bigger problems than your swap file size.

My MSS running with Windows Server Update Services (SQL Server), Firefly, 5-6 Additional Tabbed Addons, four hard disks, and some other tasty tidbits have capped the system out at a maximum RAM usage of 1.005 GB.. and that's with the SQL Server allowed to use up to 384 on its own. The 2GB DIMM is selected mostly because of a very good price/performance ratio, it's the most the board will support, but most people will never use all of it on this system at a time.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:58 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

If you are just casually careful you can do/undo this upgrade without leaving any physical traces.

Is there another way they can tell you have changed the memory and hence void your warranty?

I was really dreading removing the "tiny screws". These turned out to be one of the easiest steps. (the right tool helps, thanks to you "Pioneers")

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:12 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

The MediaSmart boots first from a hidden HP flash disk, each and every time it is power on. As part of this boot it does a system scan, and it records various values, it would be reasonable to assume that the total ram would be recorded as part of this system scan. Indeed as the MediaSmart has a network connection, it would not be unreasonable to assume that it phones home from time to time to check for an update and to report it's status.

I believe it's reasonable to assume that HP can tell if their box has been tinkered with. Would HP chose to hide behind this if something else goes wrong with their box? I have no idea, but just the suggestion that they might seems to reflect on peoples opinion of HP....

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:23 pm 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

Quote:
The MediaSmart boots first from a hidden HP flash disk, each and every time it is power on.

I'll quote Alex from another post.

Quote:
The server boots only once, and the only time it boots off the "solid state hidden drive" aka Recovery Boot Flash is if the user presses the State button with a paperclip, or the server can find no other boot source.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:49 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Cougar wrote:
Quote:
The MediaSmart boots first from a hidden HP flash disk, each and every time it is power on.

I'll quote Alex from another post.

Quote:
The server boots only once, and the only time it boots off the "solid state hidden drive" aka Recovery Boot Flash is if the user presses the State button with a paperclip, or the server can find no other boot source.

So Alex an I disagree on this it isn't the first time. Alex is limited in what he can and can not say. I've added an audio device to my MediaSmart Server, SIIG CE-S00022-S1 Virtual 7.1 Channels USB Interface surround sound USB audio adapter The sounds it makes as the MediaSmart boots are very distinctive when powering a set of Sony SRS-T88 speakers. When SIIG is connected to an externally power USB hub.

Shrug it's just my opinion....

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:07 pm 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

:D , I guess this one will be resolved when that header is decoded.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:07 am 
Founder
Founder

Darkone wrote:
So Alex an I disagree on this it isn't the first time. Alex is limited in what he can and can not say. I've added an audio device to my MediaSmart Server, SIIG CE-S00022-S1 Virtual 7.1 Channels USB Interface surround sound USB audio adapter The sounds it makes as the MediaSmart boots are very distinctive when powering a set of Sony SRS-T88 speakers. When SIIG is connected to an externally power USB hub.

Shrug it's just my opinion....

I am indeed limited to what I can and cannot say, however I unequivocably state that I won't lie about any functionality of the server. If I shouldn't talk about it, I won't.

While I haven't connected a USB audio adapter to the server, I can imagine it could make some pops or noises while booting as the USB bus is powered on and off during startup. That's just conjecture on my part.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next