It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:52 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

myhomeserver.coim is generally a very good source, but in this case the tutorial on www.homeserverhacks.com is way better. More detailed, better illustrated and more pictures from different angles.

Cheers

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:46 pm 

I upgraded my MSS to 2GB.

I saw the spec'd memory in this thread and tried to get some locally, but no one had any...closest was a 1GB stick of PC-5300 (Patriot). So I tried it but the MSS wouldn't POST.

So rather than run back and forth to the store, I took the unit into the local store and pulled it apart on their counter. Then they pulled out a bunch of DIMMs from behind the counter we could try.

Ended up first DIMM we tried worked, it was a Kingston 2GB PC2-6400 CL5 240pin 800mhz (KVR800D2N5/2G). Cost a few bucks more, but that was no big deal to me...

Been running it for 2 days now and no problem, so thought I'd post that up to add to the info here...

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:05 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Thanks Elyl. I was going to ask if 6400 would work since I have access to that memory too. How much of that 800mhz does the MSS actually utilize? Did you feel that the upgrade was worth the hastle of taking the unit apart and voiding the warranty? have you also done the CPU upgrade?

Question: Does the MSS server require server grade memory? if it is based on server 2003 wouldnt it benifit from ECC? I noticed that none of the links to the memory that people have installed has this.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:45 pm 

tbone7467 wrote:
Did you feel that the upgrade was worth the hastle of taking the unit apart and voiding the warranty? have you also done the CPU upgrade?

It wasn't really a hassle...just extra careful and slow the first time so you don't break anything, then once you've done it...piece of cake. I've had it apart and back together about 5 or 6 times...it's no big deal.

I'm not using my unit for anything more than a file server (and for backing up my workstations), no extra tweaking or running additional services...so no need to upgrade the CPU, it's quite fine right where it's at. The memory however is a different story, I've been supporting Windows OSes in data centers for years (15+) and Windows "loves" memory... LOL. Even in just a file server capacity, it'll use any excess over operational requirements for file caching...so that is a good thing. Anything else is overkill...for my needs anyway.

tbone7467 wrote:
Question: Does the MSS server require server grade memory? if it is based on server 2003 wouldnt it benifit from ECC?

It's only a server in name and in the OS running on it...not the h/w. It's not like it's high-end data center server h/w or anything... ECC is only used when the equipment is spec'd for it...this h/w isn't in that class at all...

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:29 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

how much of an over kill is this memory: 2GB PC2-6400 CL5 240pin 800mhz?? Most people I have seen post are using way slower sticks. I figure if u got it use it right.

Elyl thanks for all your help and info

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:34 pm 

tbone7467 wrote:
how much of an over kill is this memory: 2GB PC2-6400 CL5 240pin 800mhz??

If ya got it and it works...sure go for it. Just saying that it doesn't matter how much faster the memory is, it's only going to be used at the speed rating of the board/chipset/bus...which in the case of these HP servers is 667mhz.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:56 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

will the heat spreader make any diffrence at all for the memory or case temp?

I can get this from a friend (for Free):

2GB, Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400 memory module

Or I can but the 667 speed memory

what about buffered/registered/unbuffered?

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:50 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

This article address many of the memory questions apearing in this thread.

http://www.newegg.com/product/CategoryI ... icleId=244

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:04 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Photon thanks for the info this is what I got from it.

Heat spreader is a good thing if I find memory with it then go for it

also,

Workstation/Server and Other Crucial Applications

Reliability tops all for these crucial applications since you cannot afford a system crash here. Workstation and server must usually runs 24 hours a day without a break, so the ECC function is definitely required for these systems.

Professional software is always memory hungry - especially for 3D related work. 2GB is absolutely necessary for workstation users. This desire for memory is even truer for servers. Simply put, the more memory the better - 2GB is just the starting point. Registered memory is always preferred for servers – actually, most server motherboards require this, and it is also recommended for workstations for memory capacities above 2GB.

But some people on the forum said that the MSS isnt a traditional server so ECC memory would be a waste. I am hoping to figure this out so I can get my memory by this weekend.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:43 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

The MSS is basically desktop hardware and comes with unbuffered memory. As far as I know the motherboard doesn't provide support for buffered or registered memory.

Installing the same type of memory that comes in it is a safe bet. I'm not a memory expert but as I understand it with DDR memory if you have higher spec memory it may work just fine but operate at the reduced spec that is supported by the motherboard or not operate at all if it is not downward compatible.

If you know what chip set is on the motherboard you can look it up on the chip set manufactures website and see what memory it supports. I don't think it will mention higher spec memory that may be downward compatible though.

What I have said is my understanding but may be flat out wrong in one or more areas.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:32 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

My Girl apparently finally got tired of me going back and forth on the memory issue and suprised me with:

Brand GeIL
Series Value Series
Model GX22GB6400PXK
Type 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM
Tech Spec
Capacity 2GB
Speed DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Cas Latency 5
Timing 5-5-5-15
Voltage 1.8V
Heat Spreader Yes
Features Brush Aluminum Heat-spreader

this should be good enough

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:27 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Got the memory and installed into the system. the only issue that I had was removing the drive carriage. then I put them in I fount that a few had bent prongs on the bottome of that carriage. I just bent them back not sure why they got bent out of shape in the first place or what the reason for them truely is.

My friend said I should run a memory test to make sure I didnt get bad memory. Is this and issue i figure if it was bad it just wouldnt work at all. The Heat sheild didnt cause any clearance issue at all with the install. I do wonder if the heat from the CPU heat sink will heat up the aluminum heat sink on the memory and cause issue since they are a lot closer then I originally thought.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:27 pm 

I'm upgrading the RAM in my EX470 following the instructions at Home Server Hacks. Upon attempting to remove the drive back plane, I find what look like copper prongs affixing the plane to the metal case. I don't find any mention of these prongs in the instructions or elsewhere on the web...is this possibly a new design modification from HP? My server is new as of May 08.

See attached pic.

Attachments:
File comment: Copper prongs
DrivePlaneProngs_0001.jpg
DrivePlaneProngs_0001.jpg [ 82.32 KiB | Viewed 14729 times ]
Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:33 pm 

Never mind--I got out the drive back plane with quite a loud snap. My assumption that the copper prongs were affixing the plane to the case was incorrect.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:19 pm 

this is my first post but I recently did a RAM upgrade on my own and how have found this instructional after the fact. I documented the upgrade and posted it on youtube in case anyone would like to see a faster progression with all the steps taken. I did do a voiceover but the volume is a little low so you'll have to turn it up to hear it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GON9XPDWBJ8

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next