It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1534 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:54 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

MitchSchaft wrote:
Ordered a couple of these fans from directron's ebay store along with a splitter so I wouldn't have to mess with cutting/splicing wires. I didn't need to attach the fans with anything since they fit so tight. I've never seen fans this small, it's pretty cool. Anyway, the noise is definately increased and I see no differences in temps. After I upgraded to 3.0 I ran it for the last week and no reboots during backups or anything.

I put the fans in earlier today and have ran prime95 for 5 hours straight with no problem so far. Temps jump up to 43, idles at 28. That's the same temp range without the fans so maybe I didn't even need them. Maybe the rebooting was an .ini file issue that was resolved with the wipe/upgrade to 3.0. Fun to do anyway. Check it out.
I bought a couple of those fans a year or so ago but when I went to install them, I found out the fan header on the MB is missing. Yep, that's right; it's just not there. I've never taken the time to find a local shop that can solder one on so the fans are sitting in my desk drawer. Maybe someday...

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:00 pm 

I have had an EX470 for years. I upgraded the ram to 2 gigs but never bothered to upgrade the CPU. Recently I found and purchased an AMD Athlon X2 (AD03800IAA5CU). Not thinking about the BIOS I installed it only to have it not boot up (duh). So I took it out and reinstalled the original CPU. I need to know where I might find the BIOS mod that will recognize the dual core. Long ago I purchased the HP 3.0 upgrade but never installed it. Likewise I purchased Windows Home Server 2011 but never installed it. My goal would be to upgrade the processor and then install Windows Home Server 2011. I just want to be sure that the processor will work. Any help on where to find the BIOS mod would be greatly appreciated-Thanks

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:33 pm 

Hi equill welcome to the forums!

Can you verify the processor you have because the one you want is an ADD3800IAA5CU.

The BIOS Mod you need to perform can be found at the following link: viewtopic.php?p=10229#p10229

There are very few processors which are known to work well with the EX47x and all the processors that have been tried by others are all basically listed in this message thread. Its all good reading and if you do take the time to read through this thread you read all the different processors ever tried and see first hand how they actually with the EX47x. Some processors like the one you mentioned have multiple versions and so getting the right version is important otherwise you could damage the motherboard.

I have installed the ADD3800 in 3 EX470's and I also install with them the MSS Fan Control ADD-IN to help keep the processor cool but I recommend this ADD-IN regardless of the processor being used in the EX47x.

I have also used the BE2300 and have several of them and have a new one still in the AMD Factory Sealed Box that if your interested in you can contact me and we can talk about a price either for a new or used BE2300 or if you want to purchase a fully working modified EX470 with an ADD3800 or BE2300 with 2GB of RAM installed I would be willing to sell one and if you want a DEBUG Board preinstalled I can do that too.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
equill
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:26 am 

This is the second used processor I have purchased to try and upgrade the CPU in my EX475. I was trying to purchase the ADD3800IAA5cu what I got was the ADO3800IAA5cu is anyone familiar with this at all? Will it work and be stable in my Ex475? (providing I hack the BIOS) You may save the life of a workhorse of an EX 475!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:21 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

equill wrote:
This is the second used processor I have purchased to try and upgrade the CPU in my EX475. I was trying to purchase the ADD3800IAA5cu what I got was the ADO3800IAA5cu is anyone familiar with this at all? Will it work and be stable in my Ex475? (providing I hack the BIOS) You may save the life of a workhorse of an EX 475!

That is a 65 watt processor which means it'll run too hot for the EX475. The processor you wanted is 35 watt which runs cool enough that it'll work. Unless you come up with a major mod to enhance the cooling capability, you're out of luck. :(

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank TxDot for this post
equill
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:46 am 

OK I have located a possible replacement on E bay. It is an AMD Athlon 64 X2 ADD3800IAA5CU
NDBEF 0647EAA 9146072L60010 on right hand side it says 2005 AMD and at the bottom it says Made in China. Would this puppy work in my HP EX 470? Everything I look at says it operates at the 35w. If I get any more chips I am going to get out the fish and malt vinegar!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:24 pm 

I looked at that link and that processor was sold on June 4th but I did see the following:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Athlon-64-X ... 109wt_1161

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-ADD3800IAA5 ... 468wt_1161

Just confirm the wattage is 35w and again the that the CPU is an ADD3800IAA5CU to be on the safe side. I would pick them up myself but I have enough of these and the BE2300's that I do not want, need, nor desire any more.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:29 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Comp1962 wrote:
I have also used the BE2300 and have several of them and have a new one still in the AMD Factory Sealed Box that if your interested in you can contact me and we can talk about a price either for a new or used BE2300 ...

Hi Comp1962,
I noticed your comment and I'm in the process of removing 3 1TB to replace with WD 2TB W20EARX and upgrade the newly soon to be dead WHS2011 in 2016. I have one opened and one unopened AMD LE1640. I still have to figure which one I actually have but as indicated, I have one that has been opened and installed but after a few weeks of not being recognized by the system I ended up swapping it back with the original. Temperature wasn't a issue but I hate when hardware is not recognized. I'm sill in the process of reading and figuring which chip I have with LE-1640.
I currently still am using HP EX-470 and have spare rebuilt I bought from HP 4-5 years ago that has 2GB RAM (thus the reason I have the extra Processor on hand). And I'm at or coming in the near future needing to acquire more storage capability. My current system is 2nd out of 4 ways that I am backing up critical data I.e. Pictures, videos and other items that are meaningful to me and my extended family.
So, sorry for the lengthy post here. But you wouldn't happen to have a extra BE2300 laying around or has that shipped sailed already.
I'm at the point of just going ahead a to a rebuild of the entire system but I don't want to pay the price on 2012 SBS. To costly for me at the moment.
But here I digress again. Do you happen to have any Processor on hand. I noticed some one from china on eBay has supposedly 10 new ones and a few used ones but he appears to have some negative responses that it would a last ditch area.
Any thoughts you might have would be helpful. As I have a tons of reading to do anyways.
Thanx,
Rickie

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:04 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I hate to jump in, but, I have used the AMD LE1640 and there is a bios update that will make the server see it correctly, I have one running from 2008.
Just FYI.
Goodluck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:58 pm 

HI Rickie,

I actually have a few BE2300's and a new one still in the factory sealed box. I also have the correct ADD3800+ These processors will require you to modify the BIOS to work properly with the EX470. The modification process is fairly easy but if you make a mistake you run the risk of bricking your EX470.

Here is a list of processors posted by helrazr for the EX470 that should help you to determine if you have the comparable LE1460 processor as there are 2 versions one will work the other is a hit or miss processor. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12176.

The LE1640 can run in an EX470 without a BIOS Modification but what I am not sure of is if the BIOS will recognize it properly and list it but certainly if you install the correct version it will work even though it may not be properly identified.

I have run both the BE2300 and ADD3800+ Processors and I highly recommend you install the MSS FAN CONTROL ADD-IN to help keep the processor cool otherwise your server could start shutting down when the processor starts to heat up and this is not a fun thing to deal with.

I am willing to see these processors but will not do so unless you modify the BIOS first and confirm the modification went well but again if you make a mistake with the modification you could BRICK your EX470 and I would much rather only sell these knowing the BIOS is ready to accept them.

One of the problems with processor upgrades is the handling of the processors. If you do not take great care when you handle a processor you can actually ruin it with the static in your body so if your not use to handling static sensitive devices.

If your interested in these processors send me a PM.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
Rickie
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:10 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Gardian, thank you for thought, really!!!
Comp1962,
First off my original LE-1640 falls in the stable category. However the never been opened one falls under not stable.
I thank you for pointing out why spend the money if u happen to brick ur system. I'm in the process of going ahead and buying versus build my on VGA cable. With that said do u think if I decide to change the BIOS, YMBOC procedures seem the most current or at least issues as some others I've read?
My apologies for responding so late on this as any tidbits are great. My problem is all the information out there on "how-to" can become quit overwhelming. Ontop of I'm covering to many topics on my iphone which can have twenty-odd windows open at a time.
But serious, you provided a few footpaths that should be considered, thanks.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:30 pm 

Hi Rickie,

I have only used the procedure written by YMBOC: viewtopic.php?p=10271#p10271

This procedure if followed closely does work so do not rush through it.

If there are other BIOS mods out there I am uncertain how they would work out for you I just know the procedure that YMBOC wrote works.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:16 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Comp1962 wrote:
I have only used the procedure written by YMBOC: viewtopic.php?p=10271#p10271

Com1962,
Thank you for response. Sorry, I have had some medical issues and have been trying to gather all to maintain the EX-470. I still wonder if my timing maybe off but I've been showing my 10 year old how the system works and honing troubleshooting as she seems to have the knack. I had decided to upgrade to WHS2011. Push come to shove I'll end up building my own. It is kinda of a shame to see Drive Extender shucked out. I'll be looking at Drive Pool and StableBit Scanner and DriveBender as an alternative to Drive Extending when moving on to WHS2011.[/quote]

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:01 pm 

For a short period of time I did run WHS2011 on an EX470. While there are ways to get it installed on an MSS without a Debug Board I would recommend using one to make the process easier and to allow you to better troubleshoot the server especially in the event you run into connectivity issues.

I personally use StableBit Drive Pool and it works very well and the best part of it is if you wanted to move your pool to another system running StableBit Drive Pool you can easily do so making migrations easier. I went from WHS2011 to WS2012E and moved the Storage Pool without difficulty. I am uncertain if you can do the same with Drive Bender so it might be something worth looking into.

If your running external enclosures you may want to run the StableBit Scanner on trial first to make certain it does not cause drive drop out issues within the external enclosure. The same is true for Perfect Disk. I have run both these programs in the past I will say they work well for some and not so for others and it may just be hardware related but test them before you buy them to make sure they are suitable for your needs.

One of my favorite programs HomeServerSMART a program I highly recommend for some reason the HSS2013 version would not properly see the drives installed on the EX470, however since that time a newer version has been released that may work on the EX470 running WHS2011. Since this a FREE ADD-ON I would give an installation a try to see if it will work for you and if not then you can remove it. The StableBit Scanner is suppose to read the SMART Data so you may find that useful and while Perfect Disk can read SMART Data its hit or miss and its something that I found to be annoying.

I will mention to you about running another OS on your EX470 is the LEDS will not function properly and this might be a rather annoying thing not to have them working properly. You may see the health light blinking and may want to put a piece of black tape over it. The Hard Drive Light Bars will not function. I am not sure if anyone has worked out a solution for the EX470 like they did with the EX48x, EX49x and X510 but it maybe something you might want to look into.

Last thing and most important is when you install WHS2011 on your EX470 is that the Hidden USB Drive on your motherboard may become exposed. Do not modify it in any way. If anything I recommend you make a copy the files it contains. This is the all important SMI Area and is used by your EX470 to boot your server into its recovery mode. If for some reason if becomes corrupted it may even prevent your server from booting at all so you will want to protect this little area which is about 256mb in size. The EX48x has the same thing and maybe because of the sensitivity of this area HP opted a different recovery method starting with the LX19x server and all those after that like the EX49x, X310 and X510.

So now you have all the info you need to protect your EX470 so that if you do opt to install WHS2011 you will have a much better experience because you will know what to expect. You may also want to consider a build vs installing WHS2011 on an EX470 but this is something you will have to give some thought to.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:01 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

MitchSchaft wrote:
I put the fans in earlier today and have ran prime95 for 5 hours straight with no problem so far. Temps jump up to 43, idles at 28. That's the same temp range without the fans so maybe I didn't even need them. Maybe the rebooting was an .ini file issue that was resolved with the wipe/upgrade to 3.0. Fun to do anyway. Check it out.

I was cruising around the forum an ran into your pics about the fans. Now that it's been a little while has it helped with temps? I'm interested in getting my ex495 a little cooler. How did you get them to stay put in the mss?

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1534 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103  Next