It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1534 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 99, 100, 101, 102, 103  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:51 pm 

Hello. Upgraded my ex470 with the ADD3800IAA5CU chip and am now noticing the following events in the event log.

3:29:37 PM: 12V status is warning for exceeding the low threshold, value = 3648 mV.
3:29:37 PM: 12V status becomes too low, value = 3648 mV.
3:29:40 PM: 12V status becomes normal, value = 11712 mV.

5:21:49 PM: 5V status is warning for exceeding the low threshold, value = 1532 mV.
5:21:49 PM: 5V status becomes too low, value = 1532 mV.
5:21:52 PM 5V status becomes normal, value = 4919 mV.

Anything I should be concerned about?

Thanks,

--B

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:40 am 

Are you seeing any other issues with services not loading or the health monitors displaying improperly. Is the health light by any chance purple in color. I would initially be concerned with the PSU but I have seen the EX470 do some weird things that are more motherboard related then PSU related.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:25 pm 

Not noticing any issues with services not loading and the lights are all blue. I believe the eventlog entries below occurred when I was stressing the machine with OCCT.

One other bit of weirdness is that twice during stress, the machine locked up and booted my other computers off the internet. Shutting down the server returned connectivity to the other computers.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:59 pm 

Are you attempting to over clock your server? I can tell you my experience with the ADD3800 is that you will need the fan speed control to keep the server running and keep that sucker cool even though it is a low powered CPU it can still heat up and shut the server down.

While the ADD3800 will increase the performance of the EX470 I would not be going around placing any unnecessary loads on that unit. I have owned many EX470's and have purchased some with known issues often PSU Related and others having to do with Failed NICs which prompted me to develop a way to run the EX470 with a USB-LAN Adapter and develop a recovery using the same adapter. Other issues I have seen is with the motherboard component failure where the software which reads the sensors is not able to load often resulting in a purple health light and uncontrolled fan speed control but with Alex's Fan Speed Control ADD-IN for the EX470 I was still able to control the fan speeds but opted to run them at high speed to keep one particular unit running at acceptable temperature ranges.

I would discontinue running that OCCT software to see if it had an impact on the PSU or to determine if there is some other cause for the issue but one day if you find the server will not power up then you will definitely know the PSU was the issue and quite possibly your just aggravating it.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:28 pm 

No overclocking. I'll stop testing the chip through OCCT and see how it behaves normally. Thanks for the info.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:16 pm 

Has the issue gone away or is it still there?

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:31 am 

It is nice to see the post live for 6 years!

Just upgraded my 470 with 2GB memory stick and a dual core processor BE-2300 (ADD3800... is impossible to get anymore, have an ebay saved search for weeks now without results).
Works as a bliss!

After installing new CPU the server is slightly louder and hotter. With the old one it had never gone above 35-36 Celsius, now the starting point is at 41 and during intense operation (e g PLEX encoder at work) usually reaches 47. Also the fans are spinning faster = louder (fan control plugin installed).

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:28 am 

I have and used both the BE2300 and ADD3800 and to be honest I liked the BE2300 better then the ADD3800. I have spares of each processor still have a new BE2300 still in the factory sealed box. I and others have posted in the past the running temperatures of both these processors. While I do have EX470's here I no longer really run them and have sold off or have given away units with stock processors with upgraded RAM. I have only 1 fully functional EX470 left which is part of my MSS Server Collection but its been left with the stock configuration and I have 2 units which are functional but with issues that I will not sell to others but may use for spare parts to assist others with keeping their EX470's alive.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:00 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Comp1962 wrote:
Hi Rickie,

I have only used the procedure written by YMBOC: viewtopic.php?p=10271#p10271

This procedure if followed closely does work so do not rush through it.

If there are other BIOS mods out there I am uncertain how they would work out for you I just know the procedure that YMBOC wrote works.

Comp1962 wrote:
For a short period of time I did run WHS2011 on an EX470. While there are ways to get it installed on an MSS without a Debug Board I would recommend using one to make the process easier and to allow you to better troubleshoot the server especially in the event you run into connectivity issues.

I personally use StableBit Drive Pool and it works very well and the best part of it is if you wanted to move your pool to another system running StableBit Drive Pool you can easily do so making migrations easier. I went from WHS2011 to WS2012E and moved the Storage Pool without difficulty. I am uncertain if you can do the same with Drive Bender so it might be something worth looking into.

If your running external enclosures you may want to run the StableBit Scanner on trial first to make certain it does not cause drive drop out issues within the external enclosure. The same is true for Perfect Disk. I have run both these programs in the past I will say they work well for some and not so for others and it may just be hardware related but test them before you buy them to make sure they are suitable for your needs.

One of my favorite programs HomeServerSMART a program I highly recommend for some reason the HSS2013 version would not properly see the drives installed on the EX470, however since that time a newer version has been released that may work on the EX470 running WHS2011. Since this a FREE ADD-ON I would give an installation a try to see if it will work for you and if not then you can remove it. The StableBit Scanner is suppose to read the SMART Data so you may find that useful and while Perfect Disk can read SMART Data its hit or miss and its something that I found to be annoying.

I will mention to you about running another OS on your EX470 is the LEDS will not function properly and this might be a rather annoying thing not to have them working properly. You may see the health light blinking and may want to put a piece of black tape over it. The Hard Drive Light Bars will not function. I am not sure if anyone has worked out a solution for the EX470 like they did with the EX48x, EX49x and X510 but it maybe something you might want to look into.

Last thing and most important is when you install WHS2011 on your EX470 is that the Hidden USB Drive on your motherboard may become exposed. Do not modify it in any way. If anything I recommend you make a copy the files it contains. This is the all important SMI Area and is used by your EX470 to boot your server into its recovery mode. If for some reason if becomes corrupted it may even prevent your server from booting at all so you will want to protect this little area which is about 256mb in size. The EX48x has the same thing and maybe because of the sensitivity of this area HP opted a different recovery method starting with the LX19x server and all those after that like the EX49x, X310 and X510.

So now you have all the info you need to protect your EX470 so that if you do opt to install WHS2011 you will have a much better experience because you will know what to expect. You may also want to consider a build vs installing WHS2011 on an EX470 but this is something you will have to give some thought to.

Comp 1962,
I hope u may remember me and I'm sure that of all the other posts you have made may not ring a bell. At first I was going to upgrade a spare EX470 with the LE1640 chip and may still do that in the future. I have been training my daughter's Rat Terrier and emphasize trading her dog. So a lot of my time has been spent on this endeavor.
After considering my options I have decided to build a new system using Win 2011 Home Server 64 bit (and upgrade to 2012) , I have 3 WD Green 2 TB 3.5 SATA III. I would like to build a system that I could incorporate the existing software and drives. Also I was thinking of a Solid State Drive for the OS.
I don't know if you have kicked this around or not. And I'm on the fence of Whs versus HTPC system. For me keeping the system downstairs kinda negates some function of the HTPC. But as I have indicated I'm on the fence and have trust your opinion. Though I'm sure you wished I had never come accrossed it.
I'm sure this question should be in another forum header but couldn't resist if you were happy with your existing system and with the current changes out there had other thoughts.
As I indicated at some point I will address the bios on the extra EX470 but it's on the back burner for now as I am trying to strive and maintain my current EX470, another SATA Machine that houses my backups with a external drive that is also used for backups. It's just time to upgrade to maintain status quo with my data.
Cheers Comp 1962

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:38 pm 

WHS2011 is a good Server OS and very reasonably priced too. You may want to start a new topic on this since this is actually a thread for the EX470. As for the LE1640 there are 2 or 3 versions of this processor and somewhere buried in this thread lists the one which is known to work well with the EX470 and there is no need to mess with the BIOS to install it. Install the wrong version and you may regret doing it.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:53 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Comp1962 wrote:
WHS2011 is a good Server OS and very reasonably priced too. You may want to start a new topic on this since this is actually a thread for the EX470. As for the LE1640 there are 2 or 3 versions of this processor and somewhere buried in this thread lists the one which is known to work well with the EX470 and there is no need to mess with the BIOS to install it. Install the wrong version and you may regret doing it.

Comp1962,
You're right I should have put this question in a different forum. But I think I wanted your opinion on any particular thread that took in consideration of a modest build using 2011 but also keeping in mind the ability to upgrade to a newer version of Windows when 2011 reaches it EOL in 2016.
You have been and still are a person of high integrity and your opinion is greatly appreciated.
As of the LE1640 I have a version that is a working version but I have a never been opened version that is on the naughty list. I also have a refurbished EX470 that has never been used with the 2TB memory sticks in it. Keep it on hand in case of the need arises. Actually if I find the time I'm still wanting to modify the BIOS. Since I have on hand the KVM patch cable to access the video, keyboard & mouse.
But either way, you have been a wealth of information. And for that thank you.
Cheers, Rickie

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:06 pm 

Should you or anyone want to bring a forum post to my attention just send me a PM with the Link to the Post and I will be more then happy to take a look. Actually quite a few people have done already.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:13 am 

I might have just made a huge error. I went out to purchase the AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ EE via ebay. Found one I thought for 7 bucks. Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/331802163278 Thought I was doing good checking numbers and making sure things check out ok. Even the number ADO3800IAA5CU matches exactly with what I bought and the thread YMBOC started long time ago. So I thought I was doing good. I may have not been. Come to find out you can get the processor with that part number via 2 form factors. One EE and one non EE. I think I may have bought the non EE one by mistake.

Only differences I can gather from looking up both on techpower website is the voltage. EE is 1.25V and the nonEE is 1.35V.

http://www.techpowerup.com/cpudb/360/at ... 00-ee.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/cpudb/353/at ... -3800.html

Question I have is will I be ok with the nonEE cpu or should I keep checking around for the EE one. I still have my old LE-1640 but I fear some of the pins might be bent and was afraid to test it out. That is why I was looking at the x2 proc in the first place. Can anyone offer some advice so I know if I am in trouble or not?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:42 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Holy necro, batman.

btw, my ex470 is still running. I guess it's been 10 years.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:14 am 

Hello friends,
i bought an used HP EX470 and planned to ubgrade the CPU and RAM..

but now it seems that this bos have the thermal issue which is decribed in any posts..

and i'm looking for the actual BIOS with the patch for this Issue..

is anyone able to provide this

would be very helpful..

also other solutions are welcome (e.g. to patch th bios)

rgds
Big11

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1534 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 99, 100, 101, 102, 103  Next