It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:25 pm 

Is it possible to resize Time Machine backup without losing all previous backups? I just installed a 2TB drive into the server and now have plenty of space. If possible, I'd like to move the existing backup into a safe location on an existing drive for at least a month, and then delete it once my backup cycle passes it by.

How might this be achieved?

rutilate

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:14 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

You can resize the TM file by opening the MSS preference pane, stopping the disk, typing the desired size into the edit box, and selecting resize from the dropdown action menu. Then restart the disk once its done.

You should be able to to just copy the existing backup file to another drive. I would install the Server 2003 resource kit first as that will install robocopy (robust file copy). Robocopy has the ability to restart a failed copy, which might be needed considering the size of the TM file. I would stop the disk as noted above while you're copying the file.

edit: I just tried to copy the smaller (150GB) of my two TM files and it errored out with an insufficient resources message. Now I remember why I don't try to back these files up along with the rest of the data on the server...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:59 pm 

cliff, thanks for the reply. The whole problem is that I cannot resize larger than the 526GB I'm using now.

My thought was that if I were to move the file I could install the new disk, create a 1TB TimeMachine backup file, and then in a month once my backups are solid, I can simply delete the old 526GB file. Does that make sense?

Rutilate

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:02 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I would guess that it is trying to resize the file in its current location, but that size is limited by the available space on the disk the file resides on. I would be inclined to try removing the old drive from the drive pool, which should move the TM file over to the new drive. Then try resizing it there.

Thanks