It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: WHS with Apple TV2
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:35 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Has anyone figured out a way for the apple tv to see the itunes server on WHS so you can read directly from that library instead of a real one?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: WHS with Apple TV2
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:38 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

If you're talking about Firefly, the answer is no. It only streams music, and I have not attempted to connect my 1st gen Apple TV to it.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:10 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

WHS doesn't have an iTunes server. It has other streaming services and Apple TV won't talk to them. You'll have to install real iTunes (and that's a bit of a challenge if the threads I've read here are true) on your server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:37 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

The only way I know how to do this (and have done this for almost 3 years) is to have iTunes installed on a PC or Mac and run 24/7. You may store massive amounts of movies and tv shows on your hp media server and have them all directed through iTunes on your PC or Mac. It works very well as long as iTunes is always open.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:39 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

The only way I know how to do this (and have done this for almost 3 years) is to have iTunes installed on a PC or Mac and run 24/7. You may store massive amounts of movies and tv shows on your hp media server and have them all directed through iTunes on your PC or Mac. It works very well as long as iTunes is always open.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:48 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

rrward wrote:
You'll have to install real iTunes (and that's a bit of a challenge if the threads I've read here are true) on your server.

It's only a challenge if you try to run iTunes as a service. Since my WHS doesn't have a video port, I have no problem having it configured to auto-login and launch iTunes automatically. Doubly so since my Home Automation software also runs better as an application running under a logged in user instead of as a service. Not really that hard - just a couple of registry keys, and fairly low risk too.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:57 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

EricE wrote:
rrward wrote:
You'll have to install real iTunes (and that's a bit of a challenge if the threads I've read here are true) on your server.

It's only a challenge if you try to run iTunes as a service. Since my WHS doesn't have a video port, I have no problem having it configured to auto-login and launch iTunes automatically. Doubly so since my Home Automation software also runs better as an application running under a logged in user instead of as a service. Not really that hard - just a couple of registry keys, and fairly low risk too.

What do you mean by "running iTunes as a service"? Know of any successful walk throughs or guides for installing iTunes directly on the WHS?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:16 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

the-oz-man wrote:
What do you mean by "running iTunes as a service"? Know of any successful walk throughs or guides for installing iTunes directly on the WHS?

I just RDP'd into my WHS and installed it as if it was a windows desktop. Nothing special.

Someone had a guide about installing iTunes as a service for situations like WHS - but I forget where I saw it...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:40 pm 

Go here and get "Jtunes"

http://www.johncleary.net/2009/11/download-jtunes-here/

its easy,it works great and its free

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:04 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

"iHomeServer starts iTunes automatically when the computer starts, keeps it running and allows you to manage iTunes without having to physically access the computer, for example via the Windows Home Server Management Console."

http://www.bizmodeller.com/iHomeServer_for_iTunes.aspx

I've been using this product for over a year now on my WHS V1 EX495 with my Apple TV2 and have never had any problems. I just works. Not free, I know but was willing to pay for something that works. I tried the free trial version first to prove it to myself.

The User Guide has everything you need to know about installing iTunes on your server and then running iHomeServer. Definitely worth a read.

http://www.bizmodeller.com/iHomeServer/UserGuide/

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:06 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I run Plex Media Server on my WHS and after jail breaking my Apple TV2 I installed the Plex client. That is how I watch movies on my big screen TV. Works like a champ most of the time. I do listen to music from iTunes on the WHS. I use iHomeServer as suggested by tojofi to ensure it starts up without user intervention.

Thanks