It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Validation Error
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:28 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Sometimes I wonder if this HMS is worth the effort ...

I recently had my system drive fail. So I replaced it and did a server recovery. The good part was my data files did not get trashed and were recovered.

On the downside, the recovery wanted a few software updates performed. RDC was restored to v2.0 and it no longer worked. I finally found v2.1 on the Microsoft web site and it works fine.

I was forced to update the server software from 3.0.2b80 (or something like that) to 3.0.2b120. Now I get a validation error on both my macs (all was fine with the b80 version). I've tried everything I can think of and looked through the various threads with this error listed without luck.

I'm not an idiot and I have not entered the password incorrectly. I can connect fine via SMB. With the updated RDC I can connect and run the console again. I just can't access the Time Capsule via the System Preferences.

The dialog box where it should find the server does not find any servers and if I type in the name and enter the PW, I get the validation error.

Any ideas?

Attachments:
Screen shot 2011-02-20 at 2.25.53 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-02-20 at 2.25.53 PM.png [ 114.98 KiB | Viewed 9815 times ]

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: Validation Error
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:32 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Oh, FWIW, I have an EX495 with an upgraded cpu (Q9550s quad core), more RAM and I replaced the system HDD with an SSD when it failed. A large waste of money as the system is much faster than initially, but still slower than a slug.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:40 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Is there a reason you are refusing to fully update your server? And what do you mean you where forced to update? You just might want to contact HP and get the current software for your server....

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:17 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I don't understand your point. My server is fully up to date, the latest automatic update broke it.

I'm looking for anyone that's had this error and would like to know how they solved it.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:40 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

TurtleDriver wrote:
I don't understand your point. My server is fully up to date, the latest automatic update broke it.

I'm looking for anyone that's had this error and would like to know how they solved it.

I suggest you read this page; http://www.mediasmartserver.net/wiki/in ... oftware%3F

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:26 pm 
Founder
Founder

I'm pretty sure that's the Mac client software version, which we don't have captured in the Wiki.

TurtleDriver, I'm sorry, I've not encountered that error and not a Mac user, we back up the wife's Macbook but I rarely touch it. :( Hopefully someone else will have some more ideas for you soon.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:00 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I'm hopeful. I seldom have time to call support during the day, but I may try HP support next week while on vacation if no one has the answer.

Daveed, I assume you are trying to help. You should be aware that the Mac client and the server software are independent and have different version numbers. As I said, I am fully up to date. I just should have refused the recent client update, but as it popped up as I was doing the server recovery, I diid not note that it was a change. I had done a server recovery once in the past as practice to make sure it worked for me when there was a need and I knew I would be doing a couple rounds of software updates and then reboots to get all going smoothly.

I'm pretty sure it was the new client software that 'broke' my set-up as all was working fine before it was updated. I saw the issue on my MacBook Pro first and ignored it as I thought it would get fixed with a re-boot. I should have paid more attention because it did the same thing to my MacPro.

In the past, I've seen other users post of the problem and simply ignored the posts as I had nothing to add as I never had the problem. I was smug that they had done something untoward and caused their problem. The bad karma has come back to haunt me.

Attachments:
Screen shot 2011-02-21 at 9.47.20 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-02-21 at 9.47.20 PM.png [ 175.05 KiB | Viewed 9772 times ]

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:04 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

So have you tried using RDC to access your desktop of the server and uninstall the last two updates? KB981089 and KB979453 I show the last updates being uninstallable by add remove programs in the control panel. If you are correct that might fix the issue.

Sorry not a Mac user, was not aware the server reported itself differently based on clients.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:08 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I've not yet tried to uninstall, I thought I'd look for a fix first (it always seems to be some stupid configuration setting somewhere). I may call HP support to see what they say if I can get time.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:54 pm 
Founder
Founder

Definitely give HP support a try, they are generally regarded as quite good at supporting the MSS. And do let us know how it goes.

Thanks