It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:45 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Currently, I have TM running on an external hard drive, primarily because both the backup and the restore are fast. In the past, I used a Time Capsule, but the slow backup was only exceeded by the slower restore (took me 10 hours to complete a restore from the TC once). The WHS is an intriguing solution, but I pretty much refuse to place my TM backups on NAS anymore because of that experience of extreme slowness with the TC. Now that the griping is out of the way...

1. If I use a WHS (EX490) for Time Machine backups, can I restore in the future over gigabit at (about) the same speed as USB 2.0? I seem to recall that even backing up over gigabit, a USB drive was easily 2x as fast, but that was the TC, not a WHS.

2. If the gigabit isn't going to be even close to USB 2.0 speeds, can I take the drive that has the TM backup out of the WHS, place it in an external enclosure, and then back up via USB (or Firewire, etc)? i.e. will the Mac recognize a TM backup on an NTFS volume for the purposes of a restore?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:04 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

From what I can tell based on Google "research", the underlying consensus seems to be that #1 will require a few hoops to jump through and that #2 is right out.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:18 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

The answer to your second question is no.

Do you often need to do full restores from your TM backup? I've only needed to grab one older file once in the past year or so. Browsing the TM backup history on my MSS server to find and restore the file I needed was fast enough. If a full restore is a frequent occurrence for you, then you ought to reexamine what you are doing that is causing that requirement.

FWIW, I keep bootable clones of my machines on external FW800 drives. They can take quite some time to create and restore. The only time I have needed to do a full restore was when I decided I needed to revert an OS X version upgrade due to unforeseen problems. That has happened only once for me when Leopard was released (10.5 broke Lightroom and some other programs), and the restore took quite a while. Starting with 10.6 I upgrade the bootable clone and use it to smoke test the upgrade before upgrading my actual primary drive.

Thanks