It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:11 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:41 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Ive got a client Macbook Pro running OSX (obviously) as well as Windows through bootcamp. I also access the same Windows installation/partition while Im in osx through VMware.

the mss whs obviously perform backups of the bootcamp installation when im in that environment. However, when I´m in Windows through the VMware virtual machine, naturally the whs will also perform backup.

My question is, is it okay to let whs backup "through" the virtual session?

I dont know much about how deep or what gets backed up. From a pure documents/pictures/etc. files point of view it should be fine, but I guess some of the "behind the scenes files" like how Windows runs will be different when its actually being virtualised in vmware.

This will probably make my backups quite "different" between pure bootcamp and a vmware session. Will this affect something if I at some point need to use a backup for restore?

Any feelings about this?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:13 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Fusion installs some drivers to the bootcamp partition when you add it to Fusion. The files exist whether you're running inside Fusion or have booted directly into Windows, so there should be no effect on a file based backup/restore.

edit: Obviously the operating state of the Windows environment is different between one running within a VM versus running natively, but a disk backup neither captures nor restores that sort of stateful information.

Thanks