It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:25 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I have seen a problem now that I can reproduce at will, I suspect it's an SMB bug in Snow Leopard 10.6.2 but it would be helpful if someone else could test this out.

My iMac is authenticated onto my MSS with an account that has read/write permissions on all folders.

When I am working with the Photos folder I have been able to twice now produce the following problem;

1 Delete a sub-folder from the Photos folder.

2 The files will delete but the folder itself will not.

3 Subsequent attempts to delete the folder from the Mac will result in an error message stating that the operation cannot be completed, the folder is in use.

4 Attempting to manually delete the folder from the RD of the MSS will also fail, indicating that the folder is in use and locked.

The only way I've seen to delete the offending folder is to reboot the MSS.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:03 am 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Not a Mac guy so I cannot help with the details, but I just know the first question others will ask include (a) what model of MSS, (b) what levels of the MSS/WHS software and (c) what version of the client software?

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:25 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

It's an EX495 running the latest MSS updates from HP. The Mac client is the latest version, when I click check for software update it reports it's the current one.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:15 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I know it might be an annoyance for some Mac users, but have you tried it via Terminal? I actually do it a lot on my DNS 321 as it's more responsive than Finder operations.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:56 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I'm running an iMac (v.10.6.2) with an EX475 MSS and just tested your steps.
I deleted a sub folder in the Photos share which had 23 photos in it.
OSX prompted me during the "are you sure you want to delete?" process that it is on a network share and will be permanently deleted.
I chose "Yes" and away it went.
No problems here, guy. Sorry.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:59 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

friendo wrote:
I'm running an iMac (v.10.6.2) with an EX475 MSS and just tested your steps.
I deleted a sub folder in the Photos share which had 23 photos in it.
OSX prompted me during the "are you sure you want to delete?" process that it is on a network share and will be permanently deleted.
I chose "Yes" and away it went.
No problems here, guy. Sorry.

Hm. Okay, thanks for the input. I will test this a bit more and also test from the command line to see if I have the same behavior there.

Interestingly, the troublesome folder did delete eventually, it's no longer on the server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:33 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I am also running 10.6.2 and I have not had any problem deleting a folder or subfolder from my WHS. Not sure if this has been mentioned or may be assumed too obvious but have you tried to see if it is indeed locked? Control Click or right click and select get info and look for the lock box and see if it is checked. The other issue I can think of is the login that you used to access the WHS. Is it in any way restrictive for that particular folder share? Good luck.

EX475 - 5.5 TB Total - 3.5TB MSS w Rosewill RSV-S5(2TB Backup Pool)- LE-1640 (AMD X2 BE-2350 unstable) - 2GB Ram
2.5 Unofficial Software Update/Time Machine Backup

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:20 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Okay, I've been playing around and it is possible that the problem is more easily reproduced with a large number of files in the subfolder.

I'm also suspicious that something happens with media sharing where this folder is indexed and that's why it won't let me delete the folder itself.

So I have a folder PHOTOS\Raw Exposures (Negatives)\138CANON\ that I try to delete in the Finder. My user has full read/write permissions on all shares.

When I delete in the finder (right click the folder and choose "move to trash"), there are no error messages. All of the pictures within 138CANON are deleted but the folder itself is not deleted.

When I then try to move the folder to the trash I get the error seen in screen-capture below.

When I try to delete in the terminal I get the following;

Jason-Pages-iMac:Raw Exposures (Negatives) Jason$ rm -r 138CANON
rm: 138CANON: Permission denied
Jason-Pages-iMac:Raw Exposures (Negatives) Jason$
Jason-Pages-iMac:Raw Exposures (Negatives) Jason$ sudo rm -r 138CANON
Password:

Attachments:
screen-capture.png
screen-capture.png [ 22.04 KiB | Viewed 10252 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:10 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Quote:
Password:

I can't help but think it is a permissions issue judging by what those errors are saying. Have you checked the folder itself to see if is somehow got locked? Cntrl+click>Get Info> and look for the lock box and see if it is checked. I know you said your user account has full permissions but another thing to check is that you are indeed connected under that username and that is is not connected under a saved username or a guest account. When you click on the share try clicking on the disconnect button in the upper right and then "connect as". It is just something else to check as I have had mine connect under Guest and what not. The last thing I can think of trying is making sure your username/password on your WHS user account match your Mac username/password. I know it should not matter but I have read about some weird issues with WHS and Mac usernames/passwords. In fact, I believe it is recommended to keep a very straight forward username and password and not use symbols or spaces. Good luck.

EX475 - 5.5 TB Total - 3.5TB MSS w Rosewill RSV-S5(2TB Backup Pool)- LE-1640 (AMD X2 BE-2350 unstable) - 2GB Ram
2.5 Unofficial Software Update/Time Machine Backup

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:31 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

gecko6375 wrote:
Quote:
Password:

I can't help but think it is a permissions issue judging by what those errors are saying. Have you checked the folder itself to see if is somehow got locked? Cntrl+click>Get Info> and look for the lock box and see if it is checked. I know you said your user account has full permissions but another thing to check is that you are indeed connected under that username and that is is not connected under a saved username or a guest account. When you click on the share try clicking on the disconnect button in the upper right and then "connect as". It is just something else to check as I have had mine connect under Guest and what not. The last thing I can think of trying is making sure your username/password on your WHS user account match your Mac username/password. I know it should not matter but I have read about some weird issues with WHS and Mac usernames/passwords. In fact, I believe it is recommended to keep a very straight forward username and password and not use symbols or spaces. Good luck.

All of these folders and sub folders were copied over from other media many moons ago so this is in the realm of possibility. However, a check of the user login does confirm that it is the correct one and the folder permissions do appear to be correct. The lock box is not checked on the folder when checking from the Mac and permissions are correct in WHS for the root folder and all sub folders.

Is there a way to do a master repair of all permissions in a share from WHS that is safe to do?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:34 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Just in case... is MediaCollector enabled on the server? If yes, probably it is its responsibility for the observed issue - it might hold folders for some reason (update, verification, etc.)

BTW, I did not observe such issue, while tried to reproduce it several times - everything deleted.

One more... on PC I used to have http://www.dr-hoiby.com/WhoLockMe/ Explorer extension installed, which shows the process locked file - you can try to install it on MSS and see who is responsible for locking your folders.

Thanks