It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:03 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

For those tracking my posts this is the last of 3 issues I'm trying to resolve (1st was the MAC address issue with new MSS and the Apple MacOS client that needed version 2.5.1, 2nd was a bad hard drive causing all kinds of connectivity issues).

In a nutshell my issue is that sometimes the ARP table (arp -a) entries on my MSS will show my MacbookPro's as invalid:

192.168.1.116 00-00-00-00-00-00 invalid

Where as other times it will be correct:

192.168.1.116 00-14-51-ee-40-ae dynamic

At first I thought it might be related to running Parallels and having a guest OS running with Shared Networking but shutting down and closing out of Parallels did not make a difference. In addition I have a 2nd MacbookPro that I've installed Parallels on but never even fired it up (no Guest OS even installed on it) and it exhibits the same symptoms.

As a work around I have setup these machines to now have a static IP address on my network and have a script that runs on my MSS to statically assign the arp table entry for these laptops so they won't lose connectivity.

Has anyone else seen this behavior? Is there a better way to fix it so I don't have to set static arp entries?

I ran this by HP support but they couldn't find anything in their KB or past cases on this issue.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:20 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

You should not have to mess with ARP-Tables at all. I do now know Macs (at all), but messing with a NICs MAC should nothing any software should do (except for hacker-tools and NIC-Drivers).

However, you could try setting up a capture filter in Network Monitor (Free Download at Microsoft) to see what exactly goes on there.

Thanks