It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:27 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:02 am 

My home server is available on my mac, the server's shared drives are viewable and my time machine will backup onto the server. Everything seems to work fine with the exception of the HP media collector. It appears that it randomly connects to my mac but for the most part the connection status is disconnected. Is there some WHS logic or is the media collector ingration with the mac just flakey? By the way the media collector always seems to work fine with my PC computer.

Instead of relying on the media collector on my mac should I just copy my media files onto the respective shared folders on the server? Is there a drawback or reason why one shouldn't manually copy media files onto the shared folders?

Finally, how does the media collector database work? Does it just keep track of what was copied over? Is there some sort of version control?

Thanks and sorry for this long post.

-Scott

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:41 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Media collection from the Mac under Snow Leopard 10.6 is known to be not working right. I don't know how well it is working under Leopard 10.5.

The primary advantage of the media collector is to harvest media for central distribution in a house hold with users who would normally simply save all of their media files to the local computer.

If the users are disciplined and save all of the media on the central WHS share then the media collection becomes redundant, unnecessary and actually annoying since it can collect file duplicates, undesired files, etc.

Personally I've always just kept all of my media on the WHS and never save anything to the local drive on my PC or Mac.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:34 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

suav22m wrote:
My home server is available on my mac, the server's shared drives are viewable and my time machine will backup onto the server. Everything seems to work fine with the exception of the HP media collector. It appears that it randomly connects to my mac but for the most part the connection status is disconnected. Is there some WHS logic or is the media collector ingration with the mac just flakey?

My one integrates fine. Did you update to 3.0.1?
Quote:
Instead of relying on the media collector on my mac should I just copy my media files onto the respective shared folders on the server? Is there a drawback or reason why one shouldn't manually copy media files onto the shared folders?

You can do this, but once done you need always to do this manually. Instead media collector does this automatically and does full synchronization .

Quote:
Finally, how does the media collector database work? Does it just keep track of what was copied over? Is there some sort of version control?

I think only HP knows HOW it should work, but at least when new movies appeared on my Mac or new songs in iTunes library, they appear on the MSS after some time also - magic :D .

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank bruder for this post
suav22m
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:39 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Quote:
Media collection from the Mac under Snow Leopard 10.6 is known to be not working right. I don't know how well it is working under Leopard 10.5.

Actually, as was reported somewhere on this forum, Mac software 3.0 media collector does not work on 10.6.1, but works fine on 10.6.0. I don't know about 10.5, but nobody reported any problem for it. As I posted above update 3.0.1 works fine on my 10.6.1.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:57 pm 

Hi Bruder,
You say, "You can do this, but once done you need always to do this manually. Instead media collector does this automatically and does full synchronization ." Does that mean I can't use media collector anymore if I did manually copy a media file over? I doubt I did but if I did would I need to reset the db?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:00 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Quote:
Does that mean I can't use media collector anymore if I did manually copy a media file over? I doubt I did but if I did would I need to reset the db?

Of course you will be able to activate media collector at any time, but it won't care about files copied manually, so as a result the same files might be located in different directories on the server. Moreover there is some risk of conflicts (permissions, dates, etc.) between manually copied files and copied by media collector.

I would recommend to try to figure out why media collector does not work now. Try to investigate logs on Mac client and on the server, probably you'll find something there clarifying the situation. On Mac you can use Console.app to look through system.log and MSSMacClient.log files, on the server you can use Event Viewer.

If you find anything "hp"-related in those logs, post those records here and we will try to find out what's going on.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:26 am 

I had some similar problems with my macbook pro and spend many hours trying to troubleshoot this and this is what I found fixed the problem last night:

1) Delete all the firewall settings HPxxx.app
2) Turn off "stealth mode" and leave firewall in "set access for specific services and applications"
3) Reboot Mac
4) Click allow when the "HPMSSConsole.app" pops up on the reboot
5) Manually add "HPMSSAgent.app"
6) Reboot Mac
7) Click allow when the "HPMSSAgent.app" pops up on reboot
8) Launch the MediaSmart Server preferences from the tool bar at top
* 9) Click allow when the "hpVDProxy.app" pops up...(it might have come up on an earlier step but it was like 2am when I did this, so I forgot)...
10) You can turn on "stealth mode" in the firewall again and things should still work fine
11) Click on the "backup" tab and hit start (you should see the time machine hdd pop up on the desktop)

I don't recall which step actually added the "hpVDProxy.app", but I know that it popped up and I had to click allow. So I did remove all three of the hpxxx.app settings in the firewall and then two of them (Console & VDProxy) got added back but I had to manually add the "Agent" app.

I hope this helps...
---Mike
(I am running the EX495 also, but I have had a lot of trouble with the mac stuff...the shipping software seems to be very buggy as I had to rebuild the server three times to get it to function correctly. The HP support is awesome though and they have confirmed that the errors I ran into seem to be software related with the shipping disc set...just my $0.02)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:20 pm 

I too have been having this problem with my Mac book Pro.
This is how I fixed it.

- Uninstall the connector on the mac
- reinstall the mac connector from the MSS drive /software / mac .....
- My mac connector is now version 3.0.1b93
- BEFORE i did the install from the MSS I tried performing a software update from the connector menu - I saw a progress bar - but the s/ware remained at version 3.0.0.xx?

That was all I did - it seems fixed now.

Keep in touch as I'm interested in other mac related snag / fixes etc

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:28 pm 

AndrewTR - I tried exactly what you did and that didn't work for me, so I am glad it worked for you though :).

It looks like this software is still pretty new and they haven't fixed all the bugs as they are mainly related to the mac right now...

Thanks