Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:42 pm 

hello

my setup:
imac 20" snow leopard
macbook white leopard
apple airport extreme
hp ex 475 home server

when i try to connect to my server, from my snow leopard machine, it says that it don´t exsits.
when i use bootcamp at start in wista, there is no problems.
I can also logon from my macbook with leopard.

I use Plex on my imac with snow leopard, an it has no problems with playing files from the server.
Itunes can also see the server and play files from it.

just after installing snow leopard, there was no problems, but one day it didn´t work.
I have installet some software from hp ( something a could read in another post in here )
after i did that it work about a week, but no i have the same problem again.

it says:
Connection failed
the server "hpserver" may not exist or it is unavailable at this time. check the server name or ip address, check your network connection, and then try again.

i have call apple, and after waiting 1 hour, the only thing they colud say, was to call hp.
I think the problem must be with snow leopard, because it is working fine on my mac with leopard.

sorry for my poor english, its not my native language

hope someone can help me

best regards
morten

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:49 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

How exactly are you doing the connection between the Mac and the HP? I wasn't aware of the eX470 series having support for Time Machine backups. Did the 2.5 update come out for the EX470 and include this functionality?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:24 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

As I read initially 2.5 was not published for ex47* series officially, therefore either 1.3 should be used or update MSS to 2.5 as was described in WiKi somewhere in this site, afterwards install 2.5.1 update in your Mac. Without these steps nothing is guaranteed for you, AFAIK.

Last edited by bruder on Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:32 pm 

i am not using time machine backup, i am using the server as a large external hdd.
all i want to do is to beable via finder to access the server folder on the left menu in the finder window.

the only thing i have installed is hp mediasmart control center.

do i need to download extra software?

morten

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:26 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

mortenodense wrote:
i am not using time machine backup, i am using the server as a large external hdd.
all i want to do is to beable via finder to access the server folder on the left menu in the finder window.

the only thing i have installed is hp mediasmart control center.

do i need to download extra software?

morten

Okay, that makes more sense.

Did you make sure the firewall is off on the Snow Leopard machine? You will see several threads below this one in which a user had the same problem as you and it was due to the firewall being turned on.

Snow Leopard does a great job of detecting SMB shares and Windows shares in general. Mine is detecting my company laptop and even the USB card reader that is built into my printer/scanner. So I am under the suspicion that the reason this is not working for you is that the network ports needed are being blocked.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:05 am 

my firewall is off, and has allways been off.

the funny thing is that it was working fine a couple of days after installing snow and a couple of days after installing hp controlcenter.

what do you think i can do?

do i need to reinstall leopard and wait a couple of mounths with installing snow

morten

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:15 pm 

hey

i have just tried to take out my ethernet cable and connecting to my airport extreme wireless.
when i do that, i can easyly connect to my server, both as a guest and af the admin.

the speed is just not fast enough when i have to copy lage files over to the server.

is there anyone who can tell my why i can´t connect with a cable??
when i use cable a can´t change the user on the server?

hope you can help me

best regards
morten

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:32 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

mortenodense wrote:
hey

i have just tried to take out my ethernet cable and connecting to my airport extreme wireless.
when i do that, i can easyly connect to my server, both as a guest and af the admin.

the speed is just not fast enough when i have to copy lage files over to the server.

hope you can help me

best regards
morten

The best explanation is that your wired ethernet and wireless ethernet adapters have different configuration settings. Another possibility is that your ethernet wired connection is on a different IP subnet than the EX475.

What is the IP address of the EX475?

What is the IP address of the wired LAN interface on the Snow Leopard box?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:31 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

jmpage2 wrote:
mortenodense wrote:
hey

hope you can help me

best regards
morten

The best explanation is that your wired ethernet and wireless ethernet adapters have different configuration settings. Another possibility is that your ethernet wired connection is on a different IP subnet than the EX475.

What is the IP address of the EX475?

What is the IP address of the wired LAN interface on the Snow Leopard box?

If it works over wireless, and doesn't work when you are connected with ethernet, it is probably your settings.

Try going to System Preferences->Network->AirPort->Advanced->WINS and check the workgroup. Then try going to System Preferences->Network->Ethernet->Advanced->WINS and check the workgroup. If they are different, try changing your Ethernet workgroup to be the same as your AirPort workgroup.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:50 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

dave843 wrote:
[

If it works over wireless, and doesn't work when you are connected with ethernet, it is probably your settings.

Try going to System Preferences->Network->AirPort->Advanced->WINS and check the workgroup. Then try going to System Preferences->Network->Ethernet->Advanced->WINS and check the workgroup. If they are different, try changing your Ethernet workgroup to be the same as your AirPort workgroup.

The reason that I recommended that he check his IP addresses is that most routers will not pass netbios/smb broadcast messages between IP subnets. So if his wired lan interface is in a subnet different than his WHS and wi-fi then the Mac is not going to automatically pick up the machine name of the windows box in the finder unless he sets his router up to forward those messages or installs a DNS.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:28 am 

I also have a similar problem. My setup:

DSL modem (transparent bridging)
|
Airport Extreme (draft-N simultaneous dual-band)
|
HP MSS EX485
Mac Mini (nVidia 9400M graphics, Snow Leopard 10.6.1)
MacBook (2006 1st gen, Snow Leopard 10.6.1)

I just updated my MacBook from Leopard to Snow Leopard and when I boot up on a wired ethernet connection the Time Machine volume located on my MSS does not automatically mount. However when I boot up with ethernet disconnected and AirPort (WiFi) turned on, the Time Machine volume mounts. Funny thing, too - when I switch from AirPort back to ethernet the Time Machine volume is still detected and works fine. So I think I've isolated the problem to just an issue with automatically mounting the Time Machine volume when first booting up with an ethernet connection.

I've tried checking the System Preference settings for ethernet vs. Airport already - same Workgroup. My Mac Mini seems to work fine.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:26 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

It is odd. My iMac which uses wired ethernet has the wi-fi turned completely off and it has always worked fine with network based TM, even under Snow Leopard.

Thanks