It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:30 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

OK so last night I successfully restored/revived my wife's Macbook using a Time Machine backup on the MSS. Sadly, because the HDD is bigger, it doesn't like me to use the existing backup file and I have to create a new one. So I started to do that and ran into new problems.

I can't seem to make a new Backup disk. Whenever I start, I get the error 'Operation failed due to network error. Please check that your HP MediaSmartServer is turned on and connected to the network, then try again.' I can see my MSS folders from the finder so my Mac can see the folders online, but I can't create a Backup location.

So then I went to another Mac that was successfully backing up and noticed that it stopped a few days ago. Surprise, it has the same problem. It can't see the backup disk. So when I go to the Pref Pane and select the Backup section, I get the same error as above. What happened? Does anyone know a way around this? I've already rebooted the EX490 and no change.

Another problem arose as well. On 2 different Macs, whenever I run Launch Home Server Console, it goes to the Windows login window and asks for Username and Password. I enter Administrator and the WHS password and get in fine. But when I quit and go back, it asks for it again. What happened here?

I'm getting frustrated because it used to work and now it is not. Any ideas?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:09 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Well you described the problems but did not wrote anything about what you did before on the MSS and on the Mac clients? Nothing rises suddenly, everything has some reason. Recall what did you change since last successful backup: updates, firewall, user accounts - anything what you played with could cause the current problems.

Also, investigate logs on the server and clients - in most cases there is something related there.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:51 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

oldskoolboarder wrote:
OK so last night I successfully restored/revived my wife's Macbook using a Time Machine backup on the MSS. Sadly, because the HDD is bigger, it doesn't like me to use the existing backup file and I have to create a new one. So I started to do that and ran into new problems.

I can't seem to make a new Backup disk. Whenever I start, I get the error 'Operation failed due to network error. Please check that your HP MediaSmartServer is turned on and connected to the network, then try again.' I can see my MSS folders from the finder so my Mac can see the folders online, but I can't create a Backup location.

So then I went to another Mac that was successfully backing up and noticed that it stopped a few days ago. Surprise, it has the same problem. It can't see the backup disk. So when I go to the Pref Pane and select the Backup section, I get the same error as above. What happened? Does anyone know a way around this? I've already rebooted the EX490 and no change.

Another problem arose as well. On 2 different Macs, whenever I run Launch Home Server Console, it goes to the Windows login window and asks for Username and Password. I enter Administrator and the WHS password and get in fine. But when I quit and go back, it asks for it again. What happened here?

I'm getting frustrated because it used to work and now it is not. Any ideas?

Could you check the version of your WHS from the console and also check the version of the HP Mac client? I suspect that you were updated to the 3.0.1 update on the MSS but did not update your clients.

from your Mac go into the Software/Mac share on the MSS and run the HP DMG. Choose the uninstall option and eliminate all traces of the HP software from the Mac.

Run the installer again and re-install the version of the HP software that is on the MSS. Re-enter your MSS authentication information at the end of the HP setup. When you go into the backup section you should actually see a dialogue box indicating that it is checking the state of the system. Then, if you have existing time machine backups for that host, you should automatically be able to select them and begin backing up again.

Hope this helps.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank jmpage2 for this post
lensrecords
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:06 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I will try the reinstall on my Mac Mini.

On 1 Macbook, it's only 3.0 and it works fine, even w/ backup. On my Mac Mini, it's 3.0.1 and it doesn't. Odd.

UPDATE: Reinstall on the Mac Mini works. Thanks.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:07 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

oldskoolboarder wrote:
I will try the reinstall on my Mac Mini.

On 1 Macbook, it's only 3.0 and it works fine, even w/ backup. On my Mac Mini, it's 3.0.1 and it doesn't. Odd.

UPDATE: Reinstall on the Mac Mini works. Thanks.

Glad it's fixed!

HP should push a notification to the MSS client on the Mac when the versions are out of synch. Would reduce headaches for everyone.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:15 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Quote:
HP should push a notification to the MSS client on the Mac when the versions are out of synch. Would reduce headaches for everyone.

Actually they do. I did not have time to update my Mac after updating MSS at the same day, but next day when I boot I've got an alert about new version. I clicked Update and got installer window. The strange thing is that it request reboot at the end, that was not happened previously. :-k After reboot everything works as before.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:53 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Still not done...

I reinstalled/updated the client on my Macbook but it still doesn't work. I get 'Operation failed due to network error.
Please check that your HP Mediasmart server is turned on and connected to the network, then try again.'

Things that work:
1) Logged in as distinct user to WHS.
2) User has full privielges.
3) In the Finder, I can see/access the WHS and all the shared folders.
4) In the Pref Pane, the server is properly Authenticated.

The only think I can think of is that the original Backup folder was created via wired. I'm logging in via wireless now. I'll try wired when I get home. I do know that a wired Time Machine backup is VERY different from a wireless TIme Machine backup. Perhaps WHS has trouble w/ that too.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:01 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

oldskoolboarder wrote:
Still not done...

I reinstalled/updated the client on my Macbook but it still doesn't work. I get 'Operation failed due to network error.
Please check that your HP Mediasmart server is turned on and connected to the network, then try again.'

Things that work:
1) Logged in as distinct user to WHS.
2) User has full privielges.
3) In the Finder, I can see/access the WHS and all the shared folders.
4) In the Pref Pane, the server is properly Authenticated.

The only think I can think of is that the original Backup folder was created via wired. I'm logging in via wireless now. I'll try wired when I get home. I do know that a wired Time Machine backup is VERY different from a wireless TIme Machine backup. Perhaps WHS has trouble w/ that too.

Maybe you have the firewall turned on for one interface and not for the other one?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:13 am 

I too am having the same problem with the latest patch. The old client software works fine but the updated Client DMG file does not work. I was on the phone with HP Support and the guy couldn't help me at all. I'm glad I'm not the only one having this problem.

Also the only problem I am having is getting the control panel to authenticate.

Other than that... I can login to the Home Server Console just fine.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:41 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Solved. Here's how I had to fix it, and yes, it does appear to be related to the patch. Seems you have to have the right patch and it has to have a clean install.

1) Use the HP DVD and uninstall the client app.
2) Reboot. You'll notice on reboot that it tells you it's clearing the boot caches. This is key because when I did it w/o rebooting, it never worked.
3) Reinstall the client app from the DVD.
4) Go to the Pref Pane and update the client app. After updating, it should work fine.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:27 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Correction. There is a problem w/ the newest Mac Client App. After installing it, it won't work after a period of time.

However, if I install the client app from the DVD, Version 3.0.0b80 and use it w/ WHS Version 3.0.14.33083, it works fine.

I'm going to stick w/ this until there's a good reason to upgrade.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:28 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

oldskoolboarder wrote:
Correction. There is a problem w/ the newest Mac Client App. After installing it, it won't work after a period of time.

However, if I install the client app from the DVD, Version 3.0.0b80 and use it w/ WHS Version 3.0.14.33083, it works fine.

I'm going to stick w/ this until there's a good reason to upgrade.

Strange.

I've installed 3.01b93 on two Macs on Wednesday of last week and both have been working fine.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:38 am 

It's a firewall problem... I almost ended up formatting my macbook just to get it to work. what i tried:
wired/wireless
uninstalled/reinstalled the hp app like 5 times
rebooting the server
restoring the server software
restoring the server to factory defaults (erasing everything)
still got the same error. I was thinking about actually reinstalling snow leopard, then i read on this forum something about firewall, disabled it, AND WORKS LIKE A CHARM.
such a stupid problem...

Firas A.

ps. it's a LX195

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:37 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

firas66 wrote:
It's a firewall problem... I almost ended up formatting my macbook just to get it to work. what i tried:
wired/wireless
uninstalled/reinstalled the hp app like 5 times
rebooting the server
restoring the server software
restoring the server to factory defaults (erasing everything)
still got the same error. I was thinking about actually reinstalling snow leopard, then i read on this forum something about firewall, disabled it, AND WORKS LIKE A CHARM.
such a stupid problem...

Firas A.

ps. it's a LX195

Firewall is not enabled on Leopard/Snow-Leopard by default which is why it should be one of the first things checked. Also, HP should detect firewall state and if Firewall is turned on then they should offer to set up the rules to allow them to punch through the firewall upon installation of their software.

Glad you got it fixed.

Thanks