It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:31 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I recall reading about this but don't remember the thread.

I tried moving some of my large folders to my MSS. In the process it started to complain about filenames. I suspect it has to do w/ long file names, some w/ characters that Windows probably doesn't like. I'm used to a complete HFS+ environment. Is there a way around this? This could be a deal killer...

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:58 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

oldskoolboarder wrote:

I tried moving some of my large folders to my MSS. In the process it started to complain about filenames. I suspect it has to do w/ long file names, some w/ characters that Windows probably doesn't like. I'm used to a complete HFS+ environment. Is there a way around this? This could be a deal killer...

From http://support.grouplogic.com/?p=1607
Code:
The following characters are invalid as file or folder names on Windows using NTFS: / ? < > \ : * | ” and any character you can type with the Ctrl key.

Under Windows using the NTFS file system file and folder names may be up to 256 characters long

Under Window the length of a full path is 260 characters

In addition to these characters, the following conventions are also illegal:
Placing a space at the end of the name
Placing a period at the end of the name

The following file names are also reserved under Windows:
com1, com2, com3, com4, com5, com6, com7, com8, com9, lpt1, lpt2, lpt3, lpt4, lpt5, lpt6, lpt7, lpt8, lpt9, con, nul, and prn

Also, NTFS is not case sensitive, so MyFile.DMG is the same as myfile.dmg and any other combination of letter cases.

Unless you want to create large DMG files to store your other files in you are pretty much stuck with the limits NTFS imposes on you.

You know, Apple could make a killing in the Home Server market. Slap a SATA backplane on a Mini and Bob's your uncle.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:37 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I don't suppose I could attach my HFS+ USB HDD to the USB port of the MSS, could I? I guess that would be too convenient.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:46 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

oldskoolboarder wrote:
I don't suppose I could attach my HFS+ USB HDD to the USB port of the MSS, could I? I guess that would be too convenient.

Well, you could, but the server wouldn't be able to talk to it. It would be like putting a DVD in a CD-ROM drive. Sure, it fits, but the drive doesn't have the right laser to read it. Windows would see the USB device, but it doesn't have the ability to read the file system.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:10 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Crap. It also occurred to me that my large iTunes library contains audiobooks and videos w/ long filenames. I suppose I'll have to think this purchase through now...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:08 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

oldskoolboarder wrote:

Do you want to share those folders with somebody or just keep them at the server? If the second one is the case, you can consider the HP's Backup disk for Mac - it is actually usual HFS+ volume, so can be used not only for TM backup, but for any other purpose file system is used.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:21 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

bruder wrote:
oldskoolboarder wrote:

Do you want to share those folders with somebody or just keep them at the server? If the second one is the case, you can consider the HP's Backup disk for Mac - it is actually usual HFS+ volume, so can be used not only for TM backup, but for any other purpose file system is used.

Yes, the second case, I just want to keep my files on the server and use the folder duplication for redundancy.

What is HP's Backup Disk for Mac? Are you talking about the large Backup Disk file that is created for use with Time Machine? Is that special Backup folder formatted as HFS+? That would be a good thing for me.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:37 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Quote:
What is HP's Backup Disk for Mac? Are you talking about the large Backup Disk file that is created for use with Time Machine? Is that special Backup folder formatted as HFS+? That would be a good thing for me.

yes, and almost yes (it is not folder, rather file image), but folder duplication won't be available for it

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:02 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

bruder wrote:
Quote:

yes, and almost yes (it is not folder, rather file image), but folder duplication won't be available for it

Thanks.

OK, here's the weird thing. I copied some problem files to that Mac Backup folder and no problems. Then I copied the same files to the MSS default VIDEO folder and it worked. One file is called Fetch!_With_Ruff_Ruffman_Blossom_Bawls_While_Ruff_Has_a_Ball_With_Balls_KTEHDT4_1254375000.TiVo. (My kids like the show, I think it's funny.) This file copied fine. But IIUC, the VIDEO folder is NTFS so this would be an invalid filename.

What gives?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:22 pm 
Founder
Founder

That file name is 95 characters and has no illegal characters. With the path of D:\folders\videos\ it's 115 characters, still way under the 260 character limit. Now if you nest them under multiple folders the length starts adding up....

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:11 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

ah...probably the nested folders.

Thanks