It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:35 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I've read some threads and noticed that it's in my best interest to do the Time Machine config before other configs. Some questions:

1) I have another 1 TB drive to install. Should I do that first?
2) After I set up the Time Machine share for a specific size, can I change that later on? I have about 4 Macs that will do Time Machine Backups and I've had one 120GB Macbook create a 500GB TM backup before, because I needed the detailed history on it. I know that my TM share will end up pretty large, hence my purchase of this.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:17 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

on 2) yes, you will be able to resize (since v.2.5) the backup disk image without data loss (verified!!!) - ignore official manual that misinforms about data loss during resize. You just need to stop (unmount) backup disk, enter new size, select Resize from the Gear menu.

Pay attention, that the new size should not be more than available free space on that HDD where the original backup is located (one file can't cross the HDD) and should not be less than your data on it. Actually, you will be notified if some of this cases happen (at least I was).

Also, it would be better to de-fragment your HDD right before resizing, otherwise you might get "contiguous space" problem.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:09 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Thanks. Hmm, sounds like I'm better off adding the new HDD before attempting the TM.

Thanks