It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:36 am 

I've searched here and around the net on a few other WHS-centric forums and can't seem to find anyone that has successfully published an iCal calendar to their MSS. The scant information I have come up with has told me to enable webDAV on the server (which I believe I successfully have) and that's where it stops. I've created a "Calendar" subfolder in my "Public" share where I've been trying to publish to. I RDP'd into the server and enabled webDAV under IIS in the Add/Remove Programs - Win Components and also installed the "WebFolders4WHS" add-in. Every time I try to publish a calendar I get this error message: Access to http://me@myservername/public/calendar/Test.ics is not permitted.

I would love to be able to host the family calendar on my MSS. I can't really afford/justify the $100+/yr for a family MobileMe subscription....

For background information, I'm using a stock EX485 with an additional 750GB drive in the pool. My MacBook is running OS10.5.8 and iCal is 3.0.8. I'm kind of new to servers and networking, and have run into a few other issues* but on the whole it all works correctly (i.e. I see my shares in the Finder just fine with full read/write).

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes an interest in this topic.

*I seem to be having the mac address error that others are posting about. At least that's my conclusion after 2 weeks of scouring the net and 4 different WHS forums. I'm hoping the issue is resolved when 3.0 comes to the rest of us...

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:06 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

slacker05 wrote:
I would love to be able to host the family calendar on my MSS. I can't really afford/justify the $100+/yr for a family MobileMe subscription....

To the best of my knowledge... mobile me does not have "family calendars" either. I believe that each account would have an individual calendar.

/Jim

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:35 pm 

Well then that's even more of a reason. I haven't checked out MobileMe that thoroughly but would've been sorely disappointed to find it out. I guess that's what the free trial is for.

I'm still searching for a way to make this work. If I succeed I will post the how-to if anyone else is interested.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:47 pm 
Founder
Founder

How would you expect/want to use this? Would it be a webpage running on the server where your family could access it from inside and outside the home? What sort of client interactions do you expect? Do you expect it to integrate with Google calendar or any other similar calendars?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:50 pm 

I'm looking to host/share a master family calendar/s that I and the rest of my family could subscribe to using iCal from our Macs and eventually iPhones. So I would say that initially the goal would be to access the calendar from the local network only, with the intermediate goal of accessing remotely outside the network. Displaying the calendar on a webpage on the server for extended family would be a long term goal (I've seen this referenced with iPHP).

I know I could accomplish this fairly easily using Google Sync, but what fun would that be when I have this shiny new server? :encore:

For grins and giggles I tried publishing a calendar from Mozilla Sunbird (another webDAV client) from my XP VM and I get pretty much the same error: 403 Forbidden.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:48 pm 

I have a minor update. I successfully published my iCal calendar to my MSS. I can d/l it to my wife's Tiger MacBook but she can't subscribe to it (not recognizing https:// url error) I think most likely do to the version of iCal that comes with Tiger. I'll post an update after I purchase and install Snow Leopard on these two MacBooks and get the subscription working both ways. This will also work for Mozilla Sunbird if anyone is interested in an alternative.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:48 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

slacker05 wrote:
... (not recognizing https:// url error) ...

Not an iCal user but this error sounds familiar. Is she trying this from within the home? And you are maybe outside the home? Some ISPs do not permit "loop back". This means that within the home you should try by LOCAL (192.168.1.xxx) IP address rather than using the domain name. See if that works for her...

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks