It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:13 pm 

](*,) Hello Everyone.

I've been following these forums for many weeks, watching to see how many people were having connectivity issues with the MediaSmart control panel and their mac computers.

I recently purchased my first MediaSmart Server, and received my EX495 yesterday. After getting everything configured on my PC, I proceeded to try to configure and set up the Time Machine Backup for the one mac computer we have in the house.

I was able to connect to the server with the control panel using the server name and password (MSS control panel 3.0) and began to configure the Time Machine backup with a 250GB segment. But each time was unable to get the Server Status to move from Stopped to Start, I tried different partition sizes, rebooting both server and laptop, but still no luck.

I began to diagnose this as a network problem, and began to trace the problem back to the way that my router was passing DNS entry information to the laptop. I tried all previous suggestions, moving it off its switch, directly to the router, check the information via the terminal, etc..... turned out i could ping the machine via its IP address, but not via the server name even though nmblookup returned the right information.

Getting completely frustrated, I went out and purchased a new Linksys WRT610N router, and wired up just the router, server, cable modem, and SUCCESS!

In all this troubleshooting, i've determined that the source of my issues was my D-Link router.....

Now, I'm not bashing the company, i've been quite happy with their products over a long period of time, but I wanted to start this thread for people to report their Routers, and their success and failure with using their servers with their mac computers.

Working router: Linksys WRT610N

Failed router: D-Link DGL-4500

I emplore you to please use this thread as an open forum to post Router issues.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:53 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Funny have the opposite problem the Macs can find the server just fine, but the PC's can not find the server with out editing the hosts file in Windows. D-Link DIR-855

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:16 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I'm not getting as far as you are. When I use the control panel on my mac, I get the green light for authentication, but the buttons for apply and backup don't do anything.

I have a Linksys WRV54G.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:29 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

dave843 wrote:
I'm not getting as far as you are. When I use the control panel on my mac, I get the green light for authentication, but the buttons for apply and backup don't do anything.

Same problem I'm having.

I've now tried with 2 different routers, a WRT54G running Tomato, and a WRTU54G-TM (T-Mobile @Home Linksys router). I've tried with the MediaSmart connected directly to the routers and also with it connected to a 10/100 switch connected to the routers.

I've tried to connect with 3 different Macs, an iBook G4, a Macbook Pro 1st Gen, and a brand new Macbook Pro 17" unibody. All exhibit the same problem.

On the windows side things work fine for for a while (less than 24 hours) then after that I can no longer connect to the MediaSmart with the console software, RDP, or simply mounting the shares. However, I can ping the box, and all TCP ports I'd expect open for these services are open.

Something is seriously wrong here.

Oh, and I've tried a factory reset and re-install of everything with no changes.

Thanks