It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:07 pm 

Hi. I just purchased an HP EX495 Mediasmart Server. backups from windows machines and macs working fine. However, the media collector is only collecting files from the windows machines. I have tried to change permissions and filesharing settings on the macs but this hasn't helped. The macs all show up as connected and enabled for media collection in the console but the collector doesn't find any files. Nothing listed in any of the columns for the macs. The macs are running 10.6.1 snow leopard with ilife 09. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:00 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

shadowreader wrote:
Hi. I just purchased an HP EX495 Mediasmart Server. backups from windows machines and macs working fine. However, the media collector is only collecting files from the windows machines. I have tried to change permissions and filesharing settings on the macs but this hasn't helped. The macs all show up as connected and enabled for media collection in the console but the collector doesn't find any files. Nothing listed in any of the columns for the macs. The macs are running 10.6.1 snow leopard with ilife 09. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Are the files locally on the Macs or are they just pointers back to shares on the MSS?

It is very possible that there is a problem since SL might not have been tested with the new software. Have you looked at the logs on the SL boxes? There should be log entries from when the MSS scavenger tries to collect the media files for copy back to the MSS.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:51 pm 

jmpage2 wrote:
shadowreader wrote:

Are the files locally on the Macs or are they just pointers back to shares on the MSS?

It is very possible that there is a problem since SL might not have been tested with the new software. Have you looked at the logs on the SL boxes? There should be log entries from when the MSS scavenger tries to collect the media files for copy back to the MSS.

The files are all local on the macs. I will look for the logs.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:26 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Just try to reboot Mac after applying corresponding Media Collector configuration on the MSS - there might be some delay or something :?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:05 am 

bruder wrote:
Just try to reboot Mac after applying corresponding Media Collector configuration on the MSS - there might be some delay or something :?

Already tried that, no help. Have you actually seen the collector work on macs or was this just a suggestion?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:58 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Actually it was a suggestion, from the general point of view, you know. I have ex487 and wait when the mac software from ex495 (that DMG file) become available on the net to try it on my hardware.
Well as for the topic, the only one way left is to investigate logs on the client and server to find out the reason (at least that is what I do usually in such situations).

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:59 pm 

I'm having the same problem. It collects media from my wife's PC fine but not on my Macs. I'm running Snow Leopard too. I'll keep you posted if I find out anything.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:39 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I have a MSS 485 which does not support media collector from Macs. Is this a new function just for 495's... or can the 485 be upgraded to support media collection from Macs?

/Jim

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank JimP for this post
jmpage2
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:42 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

JimP wrote:
I have a MSS 485 which does not support media collector from Macs. Is this a new function just for 495's... or can the 485 be upgraded to support media collection from Macs?

/Jim

This is part of 3.0 software for MSS which is not yet available for 48x series MSS but according to HP will be available at a later time.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank jmpage2 for this post
JimP
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:38 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

jmpage2 wrote:
JimP wrote:

/Jim

This is part of 3.0 software for MSS which is not yet available for 48x series MSS but according to HP will be available at a later time.

When I purchased my 485 I was not a Mac user. Since then, I replaced my work PC with a MacBook Pro 15, and I also replaced my netbook with a MacBook Air. The ability to do media collection from my Macs will be of high value to me. I am now looking forward to 3.0. ;)

/Jim

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:57 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Is there any update as when 3.0 will be available? I am considering replacing my home desktop PC (the one that contains the original copies of my pics and music) with an iMac. I would sure like the media collection working when (or soon after) I make the switch.

/Jim

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:13 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

JimP wrote:
Is there any update as when 3.0 will be available? I am considering replacing my home desktop PC (the one that contains the original copies of my pics and music) with an iMac. I would sure like the media collection working when (or soon after) I make the switch.

/Jim

HP have said that they will make 3.0 available sometime in December. Based on their prior track record I would not be surprised if it slips a bit from that. I believe they have said that the cost will be $25 for the upgrade DVD to current MSS owners.

Alternatively you could buy a new EX490 or EX495, move all of your data to it and then sell the EX485, which is what I did.

New EX495 - $485 (yes I got a heck of a deal)
old EX485 - sold for $365.

Upgrade cost, $120. So basically cost me $95 more than just the upgrade to 3.0 would have cost on the EX485 and I got a faster machine with more storage to boot.

P.S., you will LOVE the iMac.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:40 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

jmpage2 wrote:
HP have said that they will make 3.0 available sometime in December. Based on their prior track record I would not be surprised if it slips a bit from that. I believe they have said that the cost will be $25 for the upgrade DVD to current MSS owners.

Alternatively you could buy a new EX490 or EX495, move all of your data to it and then sell the EX485, which is what I did.

Upgrade cost, $120. So basically cost me $95 more than just the upgrade to 3.0 would have cost on the EX485 and I got a faster machine with more storage to boot.

This sounds like a reasonable approach. I have a few questions:

1) Where did you sell your EX485? Ebay?
2) Where did you find your deal on the EX495?
3) I have nothing on the bottom drive except the OS. Can I simply take my two upper drives (2TB each) and move them to the EX495?

/Jim

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:06 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

JimP wrote:
jmpage2 wrote:

This sounds like a reasonable approach. I have a few questions:

1) Where did you sell your EX485? Ebay?
2) Where did you find your deal on the EX495?
3) I have nothing on the bottom drive except the OS. Can I simply take my two upper drives (2TB each) and move them to the EX495?

/Jim

1. yes, eBay.
2. eBay.
3. Unfortunately you cannot simply take the pool drives and move them from one machine to the other.

The best option for moving your data would be to do a drive removal on one of the existing 2TB drives (assuming you are using folder duplication) and then install it in the new machine, then copy all of the data over, then move the other drive. To do this you would turn off folder duplication on all folders and stop all services on the MSS related to media (Twonky, etc).

There are procedures for doing a "recovery" with the pool drives in place of a machine, which would require you to reimage the OS drive on the new Mediasmart, you could go that route if you had to (such as not having enough space to temporarily remove a drive).

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:35 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

jmpage2 wrote:
1. yes, eBay.
2. eBay.
3. Unfortunately you cannot simply take the pool drives and move them from one machine to the other.

The best option for moving your data would be to do a drive removal on one of the existing 2TB drives (assuming you are using folder duplication) and then install it in the new machine, then copy all of the data over, then move the other drive. To do this you would turn off folder duplication on all folders and stop all services on the MSS related to media (Twonky, etc).

There are procedures for doing a "recovery" with the pool drives in place of a machine, which would require you to reimage the OS drive on the new Mediasmart, you could go that route if you had to (such as not having enough space to temporarily remove a drive).

Looking through eBay, there seems to be a glut of EX485's... to the extent I am not sure that I could get a good selling price. Still... I have done well in the past so I am not scared off by any means. I think that I would probably wait until early next year when the 495's start to be discounted.

My 485 has dual 2TB drives, fully duplicated... and they are far from being full. I also have an unopened 2TB drive that is planned for copies of the backup sets.

/Jim

Thanks