It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:06 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:19 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

You are a big optimist. Well ... it is your choice.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:40 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Well, since the 2.5 update supposedly disables the server lights, I think I'd rather wait. In any case, backup with 1.3 does work some of the time, just not reliably.

Thanks to all for the ideas.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:06 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

The lights is the reason you don't want to upgrade??? Obviously the choice is yours. If all you want is the pretty blue lights to come on there is a hack for that. Now if you want true light activity, like the purple and red, then you will have to wait. In my personal opinion I would say not having the lights but having a relatively cheap way to use Time Machine and backup your Mac reliably far outweighs the lights. I travel a lot and I love the fact that when I get home I just back up my MBP wirelessly through Time Machine to my server. I know I could have gotten the same thing through a Time Capsule but the WHS gives me that and so much more. Like I said before though it is obviously your call and you have to decide. I also completely agree with bruder that you are an optimist to wait for HP. What HP says and what they do are two very different things or at least in a timely fashion. Hell, I spoke directly with HP at CES last January and they said I would have the Time Machine add-in by no later than March 1. As you can see they did release it just later than planned and not as good as promised. Don't get me wrong I am not ripping on HP at all in fact I am thrilled that they are even trying to support the Mac. They are just sometimes very slow to do it and I hate waiting when a perfectly good solution is out there. Take care.

EX475 - 5.5 TB Total - 3.5TB MSS w Rosewill RSV-S5(2TB Backup Pool)- LE-1640 (AMD X2 BE-2350 unstable) - 2GB Ram
2.5 Unofficial Software Update/Time Machine Backup

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:29 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

It's not just the lights, per se. What I'm really worried about is the possibility of being unable to receive future updates if the server has been hacked. Given that 1.3 works about 60% of the time, I can probably afford to wait a bit and see if HP gets around to it.

Thanks