It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:36 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Hey all, I just wanted to post something rather unusual that I have happening on my WHS. I have recently done several complete server wipes/factory restores because I have been playing around with a couple of different processors. Anyway in my processes I have always been setting up the unofficial 2.5 update and using my WHS to do Time Machine backups. I have been setting up my backup large enough for both of my Macs. I have one at 800GB and one at 500 GB. The interesting thing is the 800GB is showing a folder duplication error.
Attachment:
Remote Desktop ConnectionScreenSnapz002.jpg
Remote Desktop ConnectionScreenSnapz002.jpg [ 14.45 KiB | Viewed 8465 times ]

Attachment:
Remote Desktop ConnectionScreenSnapz003.jpg
Remote Desktop ConnectionScreenSnapz003.jpg [ 36.4 KiB | Viewed 8465 times ]

The strange part is that I do not have folder duplication turned on for that folder.
Attachment:
Remote Desktop ConnectionScreenSnapz001.jpg
Remote Desktop ConnectionScreenSnapz001.jpg [ 164.96 KiB | Viewed 8465 times ]

I have even tried to turn it on and let it sit for a couple of days and then turn it off for a couple of days to see if that eventually corrects the problem but it does not. I have tried wiping the server and starting over and after a few days of Time Machine on the error will return. I am thinking it is because of the siz of this backup because it does not happen to my 500GB backup. It does not create any problems and Time Machine is working flawlessly so it is not a big deal for me to have that warning. I just thought it was very strange and worth noting.

EX475 - 5.5 TB Total - 3.5TB MSS w Rosewill RSV-S5(2TB Backup Pool)- LE-1640 (AMD X2 BE-2350 unstable) - 2GB Ram
2.5 Unofficial Software Update/Time Machine Backup

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:32 am 
Founder
Founder

That is indeed interesting, I wonder if that is the user error that is presented for another issue, perhaps DE is not able to migrate it due to the size and thus presents that error.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:20 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Good point but that begs the question...

Should it be trying to do that?

I have tried it with folder duplication "On" and of course that creates an error and shows up that it can not be duplicated and I totally get that because of the way Time Machine is it can not spread out over multiple drives so why would the mirror of that file. As far as my WHS is concerned it is one 800GB file without enough room on another drive to copy it to.

When folder duplication is "Off" that is the confusing part. Why is it trying to create a backup or duplication file. When I uncheck that box, for folder duplication, the light goes back to healthy for like 30 seconds and then right back to unhealthy. That is what is confusing me because I am not trying to create a duplicate of.

EX475 - 5.5 TB Total - 3.5TB MSS w Rosewill RSV-S5(2TB Backup Pool)- LE-1640 (AMD X2 BE-2350 unstable) - 2GB Ram

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:51 pm 
Founder
Founder

Marc, I'd probably recommend you look at the log files on the server at the same time as the notification occurs in the Server Console, see if you get any clues about what it is trying to do. Let me know what you find and I'll see if I can get another set of eyes or two to look at this and see if we can figure out what's going on.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:31 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Hmm... it looks like a server defect. Probably it is the reason of that reported impossibility to create backup image, while having much of empty space :-k .

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:08 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Update. It is definitely a backup partition size. I noticed that it was only creating the error on the backup that was 800GB and not on my MBP backup that was 500GB. I went in and resized my iMac backup partition down to 500GB and no more problems. I am not sure what the size cutoff is, that starts creating problems, but 800 seemed to be well over it. The funny thing is that I never needed that one at 800GB anyhow. I just did it to use up the primary drive for it.

As far as I am concerned I am happy now. I may go in and play with it a bit and see if I can find the max size I can use. I'll keep you posted if I figure out anything more definitively.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:56 am 
Founder
Founder

Marc, I'd recommend you log a Connect Bug with Microsoft on this, at least to make sure it's brought to the WHS team's attention. Your large file size is probably uncommon, but would be good for them to be made aware of.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:27 pm 

Hi:

I had this same error with my Mac's 600GB Time Machine backup file. Even though duplication was turned off on the Mac storage share it looks like the WHS wanted to make sure there was room to duplicate the file. At the time I was getting the error my WHS only had 450GB of free space. So about a month ago I "tossed in" a WD 2TB "Green Drive". The free space on my server is now 2.3TB and the error message has been has been gone ever since.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:25 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I was worried about the topic when requested my 1.5 TB new driver. However yesterday I received and installed it, and.... created 1.2 TB backup disk image without any trouble. Of course I created backup disk right after HDD installation. Somehow, but it works... :)

Thanks