It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:11 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Re: iPhoto and my MMS
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:31 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

that would be great. please share if it works.

cubanblood wrote:
I have a script to move files i download using transmition to another folder after completed. I am working on one that will take the pics from iphoto and copy them to the share folder in MSS. I will post the script when done.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:57 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Any word on getting iPhoto & MSS to work together?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:13 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Unless I'm missing something, i feel like everybody is making this a little too complicated. Here is all you need to do. Move your iPhoto library manunally to the photo section of the MMS. took me about 6hrs sense have a 80GB library. Then, from multiple macs, when you launch iPhoto, hold down option. It will ask you where the library is and you can select the photo section of MMS and select the iPhoto library and you'er done.

This way, no matter which Mac you'er on, you are working on the same content. And when you add and modify content, you are working on the same library.

This library can also be picked up by the PS3 no problem and stream.

Blu-ray: 297

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:17 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I have moved my iPhoto library to a shared folder on my Macbook Pro, so both accounts can access it from iPhoto. But the problem with this is I am using a laptop, and if I go out of range of my MMS, I no longer have my photos, correct?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:25 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

well there is two things. If you have your iPhoto library on the shared account on my MBP, the advantage is that no matter which user you are logged in under, you can work off of the same iPhoto library. This though has really nothing to do with the MMS. Unless your telling the MMS to collect though photos but that would be pointless (unless its doing it for a backup).

Now, if your photos do live on the MMS (and your MBP is accessing it off of that) and you are out of range or not at your house type ordeal, then correct, you will have no access to your photo library. It really comes down to one of those things where the MMS is fantastic but if you need access to your iPhoto or iTunes or whatever and you have those files live on the MMS and you are not in range of it, then you will not have access to them.

For me, I have my Mac Pro and iMac at the house and MacBook Air. I only use the air if im lounging or going to a clients house, so when im out of the house, I dont really need my media. For you, if the MBP is your only computer, you might want to think about how important the media or content is to you when you are not at the house.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:28 am 

So, to be clear, if you move your Iphoto library, I understand you can access it alright but can you access it from Windows correctly? I don't believe anyone has posted their attempts to do so here. Success? Failure? I'll try this week and report in.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:54 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Has anyone tried using something like DropBox with their iPhoto library? That would make it accessible anywhere you had internet connection and also provide an off site backup too. Chance are you would need more than the free 2GB account but you could easily have it sync across multiple macs/pcs. I would assume the WHS would have no problem using it either but I would have to try it to be sure. I currently use it for my 1Password files and my Quicken files so I can access the same data from different computers remotely.

EX475 - 5.5 TB Total - 3.5TB MSS w Rosewill RSV-S5(2TB Backup Pool)- LE-1640 (AMD X2 BE-2350 unstable) - 2GB Ram
2.5 Unofficial Software Update/Time Machine Backup

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:55 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

mydrivec wrote:
So, to be clear, if you move your Iphoto library, I understand you can access it alright but can you access it from Windows correctly? I don't believe anyone has posted their attempts to do so here. Success? Failure? I'll try this week and report in.

It does work. The only problem is that iPhoto dosent organize how you would think. Remember that all your photos for example are in there as Originals. But then if you modify a photo, iPhoto creates a second folder with the same picture in it called modified (thats how you can always revert back to the original). So with this, attempting to browse the photos via a PC is possible, but difficult to find where your photos actually are. Once you then start moving a photo from one event to another, and then forget about it.

gecko6375 wrote:
Has anyone tried using something like DropBox with their iPhoto library? That would make it accessible anywhere you had internet connection and also provide an off site backup too. Chance are you would need more than the free 2GB account but you could easily have it sync across multiple macs/pcs. I would assume the WHS would have no problem using it either but I would have to try it to be sure. I currently use it for my 1Password files and my Quicken files so I can access the same data from different computers remotely.

The issue with those is space. For example, on the Mac, with MobileMe, you can even set it to Sync your MobileMe to your desktop so in case you are not web connected, you can still have access to your files. The problem is that the space isnt sufficient if you have a large library like many might have.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:10 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Try right clicking the library in Finder and selecting Show Package Contents from the context menu. Then select the folder you're interested in, either Originals or Modified, right click it and select Make Alias from the context menu. It will add an alias to the package which you can drag out to whatever destination folder you prefer. Then just sweep the files from there.

(caveat: I don't use iPhoto nor do I use Media Collector - but this will cause your photo folders to be exposed outside the package. Also, don't mess with the folder names or structure in the library as you will likely corrupt it)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:17 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Cliff wrote:
Try right clicking the library in Finder and selecting Show Package Contents context menu. Then select the folder you're interested in, either Originals or Modified, right click it and select Make Alias from the context menu. It will add an alias to the package which you can drag out to whatever destination folder you prefer. Then just sweep the files from there.

(caveat: I don't use iPhoto nor do I use Media Collector - but this will cause your photo folders to be exposed outside the package)

What he said is 100% correct about how to access the content. Being a heavy iPhoto user, I can tell you that on the Mac so far, I've found Media Collector useless. Seems like a nice idea for Windows Users but on the Mac, with iPhoto and Aperture and such, there is just better methods to view your content.

Thanks