It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:18 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:56 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Using the built in features of my 485 I got tired of the hit and miss. So this is what I currently do and it works well.

I use the following AppleScript to mount the share I want to backup to.

tell application "Finder"
open location "smb://username:password@whs_local_ip/backup_share/"
end tell

To create this script, while in Finder, select the Finder menu option, Services, Script Editor, Make New AppleScript. When done pasting the above, go File, Save As then choose File format as Application and save it to your documents folder.

Then go to system preferences, accounts, and above your login select Login Items. Add the application we just created and check the box next to it. Now every time you start your computer it will try to log into your server for you.

Now that we have our share up and running. I use Get Backup. It has a trial period to test with but it does have a cost but it works very very well.

http://www.belightsoft.com/products/get ... erview.php

I simply have it nightly backup my folders to my share from above. When copying from my computer to the server you can have it mirrow what's on your machine or have it keep every file copied in the backup regardless if you delete it on your local machine.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:08 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Interesting. So you don't use Time Machine at all? You find this program better for your needs? How is the restore functionality with this?

EX475 - 5.5 TB Total - 3.5TB MSS w Rosewill RSV-S5(2TB Backup Pool)- LE-1640 (AMD X2 BE-2350 unstable) - 2GB Ram
2.5 Unofficial Software Update/Time Machine Backup

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:04 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I haven't had to try restoring with it yet. However my main goal was to be sure all my data, excluding apps, etc, was able to be transfered to a repaired or new system. I assume I can always reinstall software as I keep backups of that on the server as well in the form of dmg or iso.

The time machine option thought nice and fancy, has been hit or miss sometimes.

One of the second benefits of using this routine with a second scheduled backups is I can be sure my iTunes folder is copied perfectly on the Music share. That way, if it's copy protection free, I can stream everything in my library to my new iPhone 3GS. Between that app and Pandora I rarely listen to the music on the phone it self when driving and on the go.

On that same subject, the media collector pulls all my wifes PC iTunes library files to the Music share as well so she as well can listen to all non protected media we both have on the go. (Makes the purchase of the server and extra drives go over better)

** Now only if they make a way for me to retrieve my files and view them off the server I'll be set.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:21 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Thanks Mirage. It is always good to have options for different ways to backup your data. I noticed you said you were looking for a way to access your files on your server. I assume you mean from your iPhone? Not sure if you saw this-

http://www.wegotserved.com/2009/06/27/a ... le-v1-0-5/

It would require jailbreakin' your phone but thought I would share.

EX475 - 5.5 TB Total - 3.5TB MSS w Rosewill RSV-S5(2TB Backup Pool)- LE-1640 (AMD X2 BE-2350 unstable) - 2GB Ram
2.5 Unofficial Software Update/Time Machine Backup

Thanks