It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:06 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

So I've downloaded and installed the new HP software allowing my EX470 to backup my Macbook using Time Machine. The total capacity of my server is over 1 TB. The installation of the MediaSmart Server Control Center software went fine until the end under the Backup Preferences panel. I specify the Backup Disk Size (in my case: 160 GB), then click "Apply". The program checks whether the backup disk is available, but then this pop-up message appears: "Backup disk creation failed. Make more space available on the server then start the backup disk creation again."

From my Windows PC I see that the total storage capacity is over 1 TB, network healthy, etc. etc. Why am I getting this message? Thanks for any insight.

Alex

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:21 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

The problem is that the space has to be contiguous. It does not seem to matter if you have 12TB of free space. You can try and use a program like Perfect Disk to fragment the drives, reinstall and start over, or you can try to either remove a drive and then re-add it. As soon as you re-add it set-up Time Machine. It will basically see this as new fresh space. This is how I did it the first time. I removed one of my 1TB drives. Went through the whole removal process. Re-added it. Then immediately went to set-up Time Machine. There are several other posts here about this same topic. Check out-

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4102 or

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3699

Seems to me it is a strange way o do it but, it is he way we have to work with.

EX475 - 5.5 TB Total - 3.5TB MSS w Rosewill RSV-S5(2TB Backup Pool)- LE-1640 (AMD X2 BE-2350 unstable) - 2GB Ram
2.5 Unofficial Software Update/Time Machine Backup

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank gecko6375 for this post
yakuza
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:26 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Thanks for the idea; I'll try removing the new 1 TB drive and re-adding it tonight. What is frustrating is that I can't even create a Time Machine backup disk as small as 1 GB without getting the same error. Hard to believe my files could be so fragmented that there is not even a single gigabyte of blank space.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:35 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

That is strange. Well give it a try and let us know how it goes. Also, you are doing this all through a wired connection, right? I know it should not matter but you can have some weird issues especially at first through wireless.

EX475 - 5.5 TB Total - 3.5TB MSS w Rosewill RSV-S5(2TB Backup Pool)- LE-1640 (AMD X2 BE-2350 unstable) - 2GB Ram

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:46 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Well, no, I've been going through wireless, but I was going to make a wired connection for the first backup. I'll try tonight and we'll see what happens.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:01 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Still no luck with this... I removed my new 1 TB drive and re-added it, then immediately specified a backup disk size of 800 GB. Didn't work. So I tried to create a really small disk size of 50 GB and that was successful. I changed it to 100 GB and that was successful. 150 GB, okay. 200 GB, no luck - again the message to create more server space. What else can I try?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:29 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

It is pretty drastic but you can set-up everything over from scratch. This is what I did.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4102

Scroll down towards the bottom. It was a pain but, I had some time to kill and had never re-imaged my server. It worked because I basically forced it to use the one drive that was there and I had nothing on it yet.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:41 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Sigh... it really shouldn't be this hard. By the time I have the time to do all of this I will have saved enough $$$ to buy a Time Capsule. But thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:51 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Update... removed and re-added the 1 TB drive a second time. This time I was able to create a 500 GB partition, but no larger. Hopefully that will be big enough for now. Time Machine is backing up now and will probably take until tomorrow to finish all 127 GB.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:19 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

It seems to me that something (might be for folder duplication or for PC backups, etc.) on the server itself reserves other space and does not allow to use it for Mac backup purpose.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:40 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Not sure... even when formatted WHS reports 130 MB or so of used space on the new 1 TB drive, so the question is whether that 130 MB itself is fragmented. In any case I've successfully made a 500 GB partition for Time Machine and my first backup was successful, so I can breathe easier for the moment. The problem is that I'm planning to add another Macbook backup to the server in the next month or so, so if the 500 GB isn't big enough then I'll probably need to buy another fresh drive.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:52 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Actually I never met - fortunately - that "fragmentation" issue. When I added 750 GB second drive, I easily created 700 GB backup image on it (there were about 400 GB free space on 1st drive). I have set up only standard services on MSS, no 3d-party add-ins. That is why I think that the origin of the problem is in the server configuration.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:59 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

In my experience it has been that it needs the space to all be on one drive. No matter how much room you have available on other drives. Like Bruder in your case where you added the 750 GB drive and then created a 700 GB partition for Time Machine that makes perfect sense to me as that is almost exactly what I did my first time out. I added a brand new 1TB drive and it let me create a spot almost up to that drive size. The trick is it can not be larger than that one physical drive. It can not spread across multiple drives. I am not sure if I would call it a server setup issue as much as a Time Machine issue. The way Time Machine creates the backups it needs to be one giant block of space. That is where, I am told, that some have had success with Defragging their servers. I am still a big advcocate of buying the biggest drive you can and setting up all of the Time Machine info first.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:30 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

gecko6375 wrote:
In my experience it has been that it needs the space to all be on one drive. No matter how much room you have available on other drives. Like Bruder in your case where you added the 750 GB drive and then created a 700 GB partition for Time Machine that makes perfect sense to me as that is almost exactly what I did my first time out. I added a brand new 1TB drive and it let me create a spot almost up to that drive size. The trick is it can not be larger than that one physical drive. It can not spread across multiple drives. I am not sure if I would call it a server setup issue as much as a Time Machine issue. The way Time Machine creates the backups it needs to be one giant block of space. That is where, I am told, that some have had success with Defragging their servers. I am still a big advcocate of buying the biggest drive you can and setting up all of the Time Machine info first.

I vote for every word in this post - especially the last sentence. With only one additions - my experiments shown that the server's MS drive extender can't work with files which sizes are more than biggest empty space on one drive independently of where that file is originated from (I tried to create such file on the server itself, copy it from Windows client, or Mac client - all the same).

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:46 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Glad I came across this. I have a macbook air that I'm trying to backup nightly and my ex470 with 2.27tb total/1.42tb free says I do not have enough space for backup.

The backup disk size setting on my mac is trying for 79gb, I've gone down as far as 40gb, nothing.

Simply put, it should not be this difficult to simply find the server, and backup to the folder specified. If the console reports more than adequate space for backup why does it not go forward?

Does anyone have any input on this, other than having to wipe all drives and start over which defeats the purpose of the server I think. :crazy:

Thanks