It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:02 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Saw a post the other day that someone had the same problem, added a drive to the server and THEN created the backup drive. To his surprise, it worked!

WARNING: I am not a Mac user and have not tried this! But it beats the dickens out of a Factory reset!

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:22 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

That is true. It absolutely will work as long as right after you add the drive you setup Time Machine. That was how I first did it. I just found I had better/cleaner results when I did it right after my Factory Restore. Going forward I probably would not go the extreme of another Factory Restore though. The better/cleaner was not better/cleaner enough to totally justify the restore.

EX475 - 5.5 TB Total - 3.5TB MSS w Rosewill RSV-S5(2TB Backup Pool)- LE-1640 (AMD X2 BE-2350 unstable) - 2GB Ram
2.5 Unofficial Software Update/Time Machine Backup

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:06 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

gecko6375 wrote:
That is true. It absolutely will work as long as right after you add the drive you setup Time Machine. That was how I first did it. I just found I had better/cleaner results when I did it right after my Factory Restore. Going forward I probably would not go the extreme of another Factory Restore though. The better/cleaner was not better/cleaner enough to totally justify the restore.

For the edification of future readers, is that a Factory RESET or a Server RESTORE you are referring to there?

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:31 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I did a Factory Reset, completely wiped everything and started from scratch.

EX475 - 5.5 TB Total - 3.5TB MSS w Rosewill RSV-S5(2TB Backup Pool)- LE-1640 (AMD X2 BE-2350 unstable) - 2GB Ram

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:12 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I have a new Macbook Pro with a 500 GB drive and am trying to hook Time Machine up to the WHS for back-up on it - but I am having the same problems as what everyone is describing here.

I love my WHS for all the windows PC's in the house (there are 4 of them) but I have to say that the Mac option for WHS is a total POS. I've got 1.5 terabytes of free space on the WHS and for the life of me I can't get it to create a 500 GB Mac back-up partition (or anything smaller for that matter) on the WHS.

Yeah, I could go to Costco and buy a 1 TB seagate drive for a hundred bucks and add it in and then set-up the back-up partition on the WHS for the Mac as folks have described in this thread above, but then (from what it sounds like in the thread above) I'd have to have that drive dedicated to the Mac only. If that's the case, then for that same $100 bucks I can also just buy a 2 TB firewire drive at Costco and just be done with it. No WHS hassle, and actually faster read/write speeds.

At this point, what's the advantage of using the WHS? I don't get it...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:38 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I phoned HP Support about this and got some good info:

They are working on a fix for this (a new release for the Mac should be coming out this quarter if not early next quarter)

They report that most people are not experiencing a problem with contiguous disk space (however this is indeed one of the issues for many people) and explained that the primary issue is that the SMB connection is timing out during the process of creating the Back-up space for the Mac.

As such, many people are getting this to finally work by simply trying to create the back-up space over and over again until it finally works. Some people get it to work in only a few tries, but others are getting to work after scores of tries. Do not try this over WiFi (duh)

Lastly, to check and see if you are having the contiguous disk space issue or the SMB timeout issue you can open up the WHS Server Console via the WHS Client on a windows machine nearby or via RDP from your Mac to a windows client that has the HP Server Console client installed on it. Do this at the same time you are running the tool on your Mac to create the Mac back-up space at the same time. On the WHS server client (the one running on your windows machine) select the storage icon and watch the pie chart. If a slice of the pie chart increases in size by the amount of the Mac back-up space you are attempting to create, then you are likely not having the contiguous space issue, but your are most likely experiencing the SMB timeout issue. If so, just keep trying to create that mac back-up space.

I've tried about 10 times now, and I've noticed that when the pie chart on the storage page refreshes/updates it shows that it has grown to the correct size that I want (for me it is the yellow pie slice that has grown by 500GB - the size of the mac back-up space I am trying to create), but the creation of the mac back-up space from the tool on my Mac keeps failing -- each 3rd or 4th time I try to create the Mac back-up space it gets a little bit further along before it fails (1 or 2% further).

lastly, for those that suspect that they are experiencing the contiguous space issue, the HP support person explained to me that there is an unsupported fix that works (unsupported by HP) where users are having success by purchasing the Windows Home Server version of Diskeeper $69.00 (http://www.diskeeper.com) and running the overnight defrag option (not the fast defrag). This will behave nicely with the windows home server's duplication system and won't break anything and will reclaim contiguous diskspace.

so there - that's what I learned about this on a lazy sunday morning.

I'll post back if my 100's of attempts to create the mac back-up space actually works.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank PierceIt for this post
JohnBick, trekkie
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:42 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

On behalf of the many Mac users out there I gave you a "Thanks"! First time I have seen any of that posted!

I'm not a Mac user but I know all will be watching to see if this works for you!

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:08 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Update to my post in the thread above:

I clicked APPLY on the Mac Client tool about 23 times to see if I could avoid the SMB timeout issue, sure enough, the indicator made progress as I let it try and fail over and over again -- doing this moved the indicator from 23% all the way up to 30% after the first couple of tries, but it just stuck there at 30% thereafter. I believe that once I reached the 30% mark, I was at that point running into the contiguous drive space issue.

So....

I bought a copy of Diskeeper for Windows Home Server for $69.00 (http://www.diskeeper.com) downloaded and installed it (quick and easy to install) and then I just let it do it's thing. I didn't change any settings at all. I let it run it's automatic defrag over night, came home from work today and tried to create the Mac partition again but as I suspected, still no luck.

Finally, I went into the WHS Client tool on my Windows machine, selected the Diskeeper button, and told it to do a defrag at boot-up for each disk in the WHS and then I restarted the server.

I let it run for about 3 hours until I saw the WHS Client icon change from gray to green on the Windows desktray (indicating that the defrag was done and the WHS was back online)

I immediately went to my Mac, told it to create a 500 GB partition and it worked the first time!

I suspect that if I would have just ran Diskeeper's defrag at boot-up procedure from the beginning that this would have been the fastest route to success.

In the end, buying a copy of Diskeeper was the cheapest route to getting my Mac backed-up and I suppose it will be a healthier WHS now that all the drives are defraged (according to the Diskeeper analysis they were critically fragmented prior to me running the tool) so this was a good purchase anyways.

My Mac is currently backing-up via TIme Machine to WHS

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank PierceIt for this post
gecko6375
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:02 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Very good info. Thanks for all of the research. It has been a painful journey to get the WHS to play nicely with Macs and use Time Machine but, I was really happy once I got it working. Thanks again.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:50 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Well to me now it seems that I've got another piece of rushed hardware/software that won't play with my mac. Following HP's instructions for their setup, I'm still receiving the not enough server space message, and I have 2.4tb of space to work with.

Seems to me that HP needs to re-work their "compatible with mac" software? I also bought and installed a disk defrag tool for the WHS and that did not allow it to work either.

So in my eyes, HP rushed the software to get it out the door and it simply doesn't work. UGH, I don't want to buy a time capsule now just for the mac....

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:24 am 

I just want to provide my experience for others.

I've been using the 485EX with +2 1TB HDDs in my primarily mac network since about the end of May.

So far, I must say I'm disappointed with MacWorld's 'best of show' award because while yes it works with Macs, it's not a superb product.

My network design is this:

802.11n Wireless network set up by an Apple Time Capsule with a 1TB Disk in it. All of the computers in the house connect wirelessly (Mac Pro, Macbook, iMac, Thinkpad T61) and the HP 485EX is plugged into the ethernet port on the router, and the DSL into the internet port

I can get about a 965GB for my biggest computer which has 2TB of space, but only about 780GB fully used. I'm kinda hosed once I fill my machine from a backup perspective. I also have the two other Mac's with about a 160GB and 70GB disk images for Time Capsule. The iMac Boot Camp's to XP and it backs up via the WHS backup, as well as the Thinkpad. This was why the Time Capsule sits there empty as I couldn't see how to upgrade that in a way that could support my storage requirements.

Pros:

After figuring out the ridiculous 'can't create a thing bigger than a single HDD' backup thing (which I must say, annoys the hell out of me, I mean you could have changed that error message, given some indication, sheesh) it actually works quite well. Other than the slowness of wireless I've had little issues once it got working.

It survived the summer in my garage here in North Carolina with no complaints about temperature.

Cons:

The '965 GB' taunts me as far as the size of the time capsule backup because I'm getting close with my iTunes TV collection and my digital photography hobby. My Mac Pro is almost 3 years old so those four 500GB HDDs in it are taunting me with that they should fail any time now.

The file shares are pretty unreliable. Sometimes I can copy 2 - 3 GB of stuff no problem, but if something goes wrong I have to reset the mac to get it to see the share again. Not sure what causes this as error messages on both sides are pretty worthless.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:05 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

PierceIt wrote:
Update to my post in the thread above:

I clicked APPLY on the Mac Client tool about 23 times to see if I could avoid the SMB timeout issue, sure enough, the indicator made progress as I let it try and fail over and over again -- doing this moved the indicator from 23% all the way up to 30% after the first couple of tries, but it just stuck there at 30% thereafter. I believe that once I reached the 30% mark, I was at that point running into the contiguous drive space issue.

So....

I bought a copy of Diskeeper for Windows Home Server for $69.00 (http://www.diskeeper.com) downloaded and installed it (quick and easy to install) and then I just let it do it's thing. I didn't change any settings at all. I let it run it's automatic defrag over night, came home from work today and tried to create the Mac partition again but as I suspected, still no luck.

Finally, I went into the WHS Client tool on my Windows machine, selected the Diskeeper button, and told it to do a defrag at boot-up for each disk in the WHS and then I restarted the server.

I let it run for about 3 hours until I saw the WHS Client icon change from gray to green on the Windows desktray (indicating that the defrag was done and the WHS was back online)

I immediately went to my Mac, told it to create a 500 GB partition and it worked the first time!

I suspect that if I would have just ran Diskeeper's defrag at boot-up procedure from the beginning that this would have been the fastest route to success.

In the end, buying a copy of Diskeeper was the cheapest route to getting my Mac backed-up and I suppose it will be a healthier WHS now that all the drives are defraged (according to the Diskeeper analysis they were critically fragmented prior to me running the tool) so this was a good purchase anyways.

My Mac is currently backing-up via TIme Machine to WHS

Hey PierceIt,

Out of curiosity how many drives do you have and what are their sizes?

Also, what was the status of your health light (if you recall) during the boot-time defrag?

I have experienced the same problems installing time machine and am currently running the boot defrag with Diskeeper. My health light is blinking blue and I’m not sure if I should wait it out or force a re-start.

Knowing how much storage your system had (that took three hours) will help me decide and knowing that your health light was blinking blue will help me feel a little better.

Thanks

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:31 pm 

any word on if this new software on the new line of servers fixes the 'backup can only be as big as teh biggest hard drive'?

I've hit my 915GB limit and would prefer not to buy another 1.5TB hard drive since i already have one 1TB drive empty.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:02 am 

Trekkie,

HP has not fixed the Time Machine problem. I have the new EX495 and could not create the Time Machine drive. When I tried to create the drive space I also got the error message that the Mac folder, which holds the backup had been erased, when in fact it was not on my brand new EX495 from the factory.

I don't understand how HP can call this problem fixed when we are still having it on the new equipment. I wonder how business Mac users will make out with the new StoreageWorks X510.

Ed R

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:25 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

@Ed R
Hmm... actually I don't understand how absence of the Mac share on MSS relates to Time Machine? The share cannot be created from client - it should be created on the server. Recall that originally it is a MS WHS which don't have default Mac share, so just go RDP to MSS and create that Mac share using WHS Console (not manually) and all will be great.

The next... "contiguous space" and limitation to "one disk" are originated from the MS WHS again, so until MS won't fix it nothing changes - it is not a HP proprietary and they can't do anything with it even if they wanted.

But if you've bought server (even if it's MSS) hoping to work with it as with toaster - just ignore this post. :encore:

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next