It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:06 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Hey everyone, I just wanted to start a little thread about something that I noticed the other day that is rather strange. For those of us Mac users that are either using the 2.5 update, like me, on a EX47X or the folks using the newer EX48X models we all know that there is a folder that is either auto-created or manually created in the shared folders called "Mac". This folder houses another folder called "Backup" and this folder houses any/all of the Time Machine back-ups. The reason I say it is either auto-created or manually created is because I have heard of both ways. In my case I had to create the share manually before I could set up Time Machine. No problem there just go into Shared Folders click new, call it "Mac", and set permissions. All of that was very easy and presented no issues.

Here is where it gets interesting, I now notice that the folder called "Mac" is not visible in the WHS console. If I RDC into the WHS it is there, as expected, in the D drive with all of the other shares. I can access it, open it, and view the properties but, it is hidden from the console. I checked the properties of this folder and compared it to the "Software" folder that is auto-created and I can not see any differences. I went through both of them tab by tab thinking it must be something I have done in a setting. It is not really a big deal since I don't need to access this for anything on any regular basis and Time Machine sees it no problem at all. I just thought it was really weird. Anyone with a 485 able to see this folder from the console? I am just trying to determine if it is something I did or if it normal because I could have sworn that I originally could see it from the console but I have no idea what would make it disappear from there.

EX475 - 5.5 TB Total - 3.5TB MSS w Rosewill RSV-S5(2TB Backup Pool)- LE-1640 (AMD X2 BE-2350 unstable) - 2GB Ram
2.5 Unofficial Software Update/Time Machine Backup

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:32 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Just create Mac share using WHS Console instead of Explorer. As I recall this is the first warn you receive when connected to the server using RDC.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:57 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I hear what you are saying but, the problem is that the share is already created. It is there. You just can't see it certain ways. For example if I RDC into the actual WHS I see it fine listed in D under shares. If I open the console and click on shared folders it is not there. It will not let me create it because it sees it already exists and errors out. Does that make sense? I know. It is wierd. Luckily everything is working great. One of these days I am going to re-wipe everything and try again. This time documenting everything and see if I missed something or if it some wierd glitch with the 2.5 update.

EX475 - 5.5 TB Total - 3.5TB MSS w Rosewill RSV-S5(2TB Backup Pool)- LE-1640 (AMD X2 BE-2350 unstable) - 2GB Ram

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:03 pm 
Founder
Founder

Mark, check the registry on the server to see if WHS knows about the share. It's under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager\Shares (you'll have to determine which GUID matches the friendly name of the share).

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:48 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Hmm... probably I was not clear enough. Try to do the following:
* it would be better to do this from PC and having turned off all Mac clients
1. Connect to the MSS via RDC
2. Rename existed Mac folder to, say, Mac.old
3. Reboot MSS
4. Connect to MSS using WHS Console
5. Create Mac share from Shares
6. Connect to MSS using RDC and copy everything from Mac.old to Mac.
7. Delete Mac.old
That's it.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:05 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Ok, Bruder, thanks. I will give it a whirl when I get home this weekend and let you know.

Thanks