It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:00 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Quote:
Can somebody who has it working do me a favor and post the contents of the following file up on to this thread:

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.hp.mss.MediaAggregation.plist

There is no such file in the package, so don't care about this. Probably developers forgot to clean the postinstall script.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:51 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I agree with the above statement. I do not have that file anywhere in my system. I have the one in Preferences labeled com.hp.mss.ControlCenter.plist. Not sure if it will help any but, here are the contents of it in text-

bplist00Ò_DynamicUIDefaults_%NSWindow Frame MainWindowAutosaveNameÐ_759 262 412 325 0 0 1440 878  !IJj

EX475 - 5.5 TB Total - 3.5TB MSS w Rosewill RSV-S5(2TB Backup Pool)- LE-1640 (AMD X2 BE-2350 unstable) - 2GB Ram
2.5 Unofficial Software Update/Time Machine Backup

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:55 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

com.hp.mss.ControlCenter.plist here is just a user preferences file. In this case it was rather created by the system libraries automatically and contains, as seen, nothing interesting but the last position of the Control Center window.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:49 pm 

thanks all,

It was just an idea - I'm pretty sure that there is nothing wrong with the install and the s/w is trying to get something from the server - but I don't know what!

My mac resolves the home-server mac address no problem so it can't be that.

I just thought maybe that file was a structured XML file with a MAC key. Allow me to dream it was gonna be that simple to fix!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:00 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Well... for the truth I can't catch the problem you have... and how it relates to that plist. If you will be more descriptive, might be we would be more helpful :cheers:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:01 pm 

My problem is exactly the same as described in this thread - I get the console error with Server MAC key as nil - when I press the apply button nothing happens. The only other thing I can think it may be is that the media collector service refuses to operate on my system - I get no errors on the server (that I can find - nothing in event viewer but also no log files) My machines never come up in the media collector settings for adding and on the client I never get a status. I have no xml file on the web site even though in other threads it is implied that the mediaaggregation xml file is created once you configure it - this led me to believe that this may be the fault - in other words the mac client is asking the server for the settings but not getting any. I know for sure it's not network or a corrupt install (I've tried on 5 different macs now) nor network (tried isolating them, unplugging dsl etc etc) so that leaves me with a server config issue. Every thing else is working on my server!

Thanks

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:42 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Ok... a bit more info please
1. Version of Mac connector (you can see it in About box)?
2. Series of MSS (47x or 48x)?
3. Version of of server software (2.1.xxx or 2.5.xxx, etc.)?
4. network configuration (wired? wireless? any routers? who to whom and how is connected?)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:46 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

bruder wrote:
vladgur wrote:
Oh Wow, i just discovered a Console utility in OSX that displays system logs.
This entry was logged every time i clicked apply:
5/11/09 1:03:17 PM HP MediaSmart Server Control Center[710] *** -[NSCFDictionary setObject:forKey:]: attempt to insert nil value (key: Server MAC)
does this mean it cant identify the server's MAC address? What could be preventing osx from doing so?

That looks very strange. Are you being able to determine MAC address of your HPMSS from you Mac, using Terminal, say
$ arp ip_address_of_server
If the record in arp cache is empty, you can try to add it manually (using again "arp" command, see $man arp for details). However, to say the truth, it is hard to imaging for me, why this is possible. What network environment do you have?

Sorry for late reply, just came back from vacation
arp XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
? (XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX) at 0:a:e4:86:6c:9f on en1 [ethernet]
no hostname there, but then trying to add it:
arp -s mediaserver 0:a:e4:86:6c:9f
arp: mediaserver: Unknown host
Even though mediaserver shows up in leopard list of shared server and its folders are accessible

My network environment is pretty simple

Cable Modem -- Zyxel X550 WirelessRouter -- Wired to (WHS, Macbook)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:50 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

[quote="bruder"]Ok... a bit more info please
4. network configuration (wired? wireless? any routers? who to whom and how is connected?)[/quote

1) 2.5.0b43
2)47X
3)2.5
4)see above post

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:32 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Not sure if this will help but, I noticed that the Official HP release for Macs is a different version of the software. Have any of you tried to download that to test if it works? I just thought this could be a troubleshooting step because if that works we can safely say it is a software issue. Here is the link to that discussion with a link to the actual download.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4509

EX475 - 5.5 TB Total - 3.5TB MSS w Rosewill RSV-S5(2TB Backup Pool)- LE-1640 (AMD X2 BE-2350 unstable) - 2GB Ram

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:21 pm 

Hi. I ran into the same problem with my new MacBook and EX485. I would get the green Authenticated, but nothing would happen. When checking the console, I would see a message about a property being set to nil. After uninstalling/reinstalling multiple times, I was able to get everything working by following the steps in the "Solutions" section of this thread http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1277379&tstart=0. For me, it ended up being the OS X firewall settings and that the workgroup specified in the WINS configuration page didn't match what I had set on the WHS via remote desktop.

Hope this helps.
Bill

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:06 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Good info, thanks Bill.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:02 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

vladgur wrote:
bruder wrote:
Ok... a bit more info please
4. network configuration (wired? wireless? any routers? who to whom and how is connected?)[/quote

1) 2.5.0b43
2)47X
3)2.5
4)see above post

In your case "mediaserver" seems a NetBIOS name, so to check if your system see that host, you need to use
# nmblookup mediaserver

if in the output you don't see IP address of your host, you'll need to check/fix firewall/proxy/network settings.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:25 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I do not know if anyone is still monitoring this thread, but I have solved my mac backup issues with the HP MediaSmart Server. I was getting the "nil" error message in my console logs as some others were. I started with using nbmlookup on my server name it was returning two ip addresses. One was the main ip of the server the other was its hamachi ip address.

I then used arp on each of the ip addresses to see what mac address was being returned for each ip. It turns out that the hamachi ip did not have any mac address. I figured this might be related to the "nil" error so I disabled the hamachi network interface and rebooted my server. After reboot nbmlookup only returned the main ip address of the server. I then was able to click apply in the WHS mac tool and select the Backup tab and configure my backup.

I still need to go back and re-enable hamachi, but I think I might be in good shape from now on.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank AcidReflux for this post
bruder, vladgur
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:14 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Great, glad to see you got it working.

Thanks for the info and the update.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next