It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: bootcamp compatibility
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:08 pm 

I am looking into getting a MSS, but I have seen several mentions of HP not supporting the set up via Bootcamp (my house is an apple house, but I do have XP via bookcamp) Is it still true that I need a PC to get the set up to work?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:51 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

You "technically" need a pc to set it up....and HP does not support installing the software via bootcamp :S

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:47 am 

I guess that my question is better phrased "Will the MSS set up when using a microsoft OS booted into BootCamp or is there some way HP prevents BootCamp PCs from doing the set up?"

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:53 am 
Founder
Founder

I do not believe there is any way HP or MS prohibit doing the setup from any valid Windows OS, people have set up their MSS using VM's before with no issues.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
dcdrew10
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:39 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Uh...just a minute there.

I just set up my new MSS 485. I do not own a "PC" anymore. I set up the MSS out of the box properly by
bootcamping my Mac into Windows VISTA. I do not run VISTA via VM or any other emulator.

I had no problems setting up my MSS via VISTA on a Mac.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:48 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I have no problem setting up or accessing my WHS from my bootcamp partition. What will happen is when you set up the connector software it will tell you that the Mac partition is not supported for back up because it is not NTFS formatted. Other than that though it works just fine from a bootcamp partition using either XP or Vista. Hope that helps.

EX475 - 5.5 TB Total - 3.5TB MSS w Rosewill RSV-S5(2TB Backup Pool)- LE-1640 (AMD X2 BE-2350 unstable) - 2GB Ram
2.5 Unofficial Software Update/Time Machine Backup

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:19 pm 

gecko6375 wrote:
I have no problem setting up or accessing my WHS from my bootcamp partition. What will happen is when you set up the connector software it will tell you that the Mac partition is not supported for back up because it is not NTFS formatted. Other than that though it works just fine from a bootcamp partition using either XP or Vista. Hope that helps.

But when you go in an install the software on the Mac side it recognizes the partition, correct?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:23 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Yes, it should install no problem. As I don't have one of the new EX48x I do not have any HP software installed on my Mac side but, it should be absolutely no problem. I would just also install the HP software on your Windows side, bootcamp partition, so you have the ability to use that for both backups and to configure the server easier. So basically you can install it on both the Mac and Windows side and then use the WHS to back up the Windows side and then when you install the software on the Mac side you can set up Time Machine to back up that partition. Does that help?

EX475 - 5.5 TB Total - 3.5TB MSS w Rosewill RSV-S5(2TB Backup Pool)- LE-1640 (AMD X2 BE-2350 unstable) - 2GB Ram
2.5 Unofficial Software Update/Time Machine Backup

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank gecko6375 for this post
dcdrew10
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:23 am 

gecko6375 wrote:
Yes, it should install no problem. As I don't have one of the new EX48x I do not have any HP software installed on my Mac side but, it should be absolutely no problem. I would just also install the HP software on your Windows side, bootcamp partition, so you have the ability to use that for both backups and to configure the server easier. So basically you can install it on both the Mac and Windows side and then use the WHS to back up the Windows side and then when you install the software on the Mac side you can set up Time Machine to back up that partition. Does that help?

Yes that was my plan if I did get the MSS, use the Windows side for the system management and the Mac side for everything else. Thanks, I would not buy the MSS if it would have required more hardware purchase, so I am glad to know that is not neccessary.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:39 pm 

It works just fine under Fusion or Parallels as well. When I don't feel like rebooting into Windows, I use the console under Fusion as well. I also tested setting it up this way, it all works. :) No PCs in this house.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:41 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Or you can just download & use MS remote desktop connection to access the server. Works like a champ!

Thanks