It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:50 am 

Hello,

I bought the HP 485 and it seems really cool. I am using it for media storage hooked up to my mac mini to run my home theatre with Plex, but I am having trouble having the SMB shares disconnecting when the mac mini goes to sleep. I have manually restart the shares on startup. Is there a way to get them stay up when it comes back from sleep.

Also I cant seem to get the Time machine to work. When I follow the instructions to set it up, I dont see the HP 485ex in the time machine setup to select it.

Any ideas fellow mac users?

THanks!

Kevin

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:38 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

For the shares, have you gone in to the user settings and made each of the shares start up items for the user on the Mac Mini? I don't have an EX485 but I do run WHS with a Mac Mini. I simply authenticated with one of the WHS shares, saved the password in my keyring and then dragged each share folder into my start up items. I never have a problem with the shares unmapping and I don't have an issue with them showing up or challenging me for a password at any time.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:59 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

netherscurial wrote:
.....but I am having trouble having the SMB shares disconnecting when the mac mini goes to sleep.....

....Also I cant seem to get the Time machine to work. When I follow the instructions to set it up, I dont see the HP 485ex in the time machine setup to select it.

You can research the issue of persistency of SMB shared folders with Macs and you will find corroboration of what you have learned i.e. there are issues with it that are related to OS X.

I have tried all the solutions I could find to make Time Machine to work on my EX470 and while I can get it to work on occassion, I cannot get it to work consistently. Given that HP sold the EX48X as having the capability to use it with Time Machine, you have greater reason to expect it to work and I would have loved to see EX48X users reporting success with this. Unfortunately it seems that there are problems even with HPs efforts to make this work consistently.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:41 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Maybe you didn't see my response. I have zero issues with SMB shares disconnecting on my Mac, running to a vanilla home brew WHS.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:24 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

jmpage2 wrote:
....I have zero issues with SMB shares disconnecting on my Mac...

That is great, however I fail to see how you are helping the original poster, or myself, who are having issues and I can say that I have spent plenty of time researching the issue. I also implemented the basic, and obvious, steps you mentioned in your first post when I initially established my SMB shares.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:57 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Kiwi wrote:
jmpage2 wrote:
....I have zero issues with SMB shares disconnecting on my Mac...

That is great, however I fail to see how you are helping the original poster, or myself, who are having issues and I can say that I have spent plenty of time researching the issue. I also implemented the basic, and obvious, steps you mentioned in your first post when I initially established my SMB shares.

I responded as I did because it was being posited that these SMB disconnects affect everyone, and that is not my experience.

I will check further and see if there is something in the log files when disconnects occur. The only way I have been able to get my shares that are in my start up items to disappear is to cause a network disruption.

Is either your Mac or your home server wirelessly connected? If so, have you ever connected them on a wired LAN to see if the disconnections still occur?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:38 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

jmpage2 wrote:
I responded as I did because it was being posited that these SMB disconnects affect everyone, and that is not my experience.....

.....Is either your Mac or your home server wirelessly connected? If so, have you ever connected them on a wired LAN to see if the disconnections still occur?

I have a gigabit wired network that the majority of my devices are connected to. The few devices that are connected wirelessly have low bandwidth requirements. You are working at a basic level and I have taken the time and made the effort to try and solve this issue myself. The only reason I posted a response to the original poster was to let him know that the issue he is seeing is not unique.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:41 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Kiwi wrote:
jmpage2 wrote:
I responded as I did because it was being posited that these SMB disconnects affect everyone, and that is not my experience.....

.....Is either your Mac or your home server wirelessly connected? If so, have you ever connected them on a wired LAN to see if the disconnections still occur?

I have a gigabit wired network that the majority of my devices are connected to. The few devices that are connected wirelessly have low bandwidth requirements. You are working at a basic level and I have taken the time and made the effort to try and solve this issue myself. The only reason I posted a response to the original poster was to let him know that the issue he is seeing is not unique.

Well, I'm not sure what is causing the problem, seeing as I don't have this issue. I'm not an Apple expert though since I have only had a Mac for a short while.

One thought that comes to mind is to run a Wireshark trace on the Apple computer and stop it after disconnection occurs. There should be clues in the final messages between the SMB host and the computer which might indicate why the Apple computer is becoming disconnected. It is possible that there is a time out or authentication issue taking place that is causing the shares to disconnect. One way to test this theory would be to create a new user account on the WHS and connect the Mac with that new user info, making sure to save it in the key chain and add the shares as start up items for the OS X user's login items.

The only time I see my shares disconnec t is if I reboot my WHS, at that point I will get the share disconnect warning pop up in Leopard asking me if I want to disconnect all of the shares.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:44 pm 

Hi, I am a new HP EX490 owner and also have a few Macs in the house. I also am loosing connection when using SMB and AFP. I've tried using jmpage2 solution and that didn't work. I am just trying to keep the connection alive so I can use the HP as a file server. I am using a wireless connection to get to it and have OSX 10.5.8 on the MBP. Any more help would be greatly appreciated. My last resort will be to call HP and talk to their tech support. I figured someone here might have found a solution. Thanks in advance!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:01 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I'm wondering if the disconnect issues are due to trying to use wireless. I have an EX495 and use it with a Mac Pro (10.5.8) and MacBook Pro (10.6.3) connected using gigabit ethernet and don't have any disconnect issues and TimeMachine runs fine. Maybe if you provide more info with how your network is configured and how the shares are setup we can compare and diagnose the problem.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:18 pm 

I would go to SSH shares and setup your computers to access the shares in this manner. It is much more secure and would allow you to even connect from the terminal. There are programs that will help mount these shares as drives. I know that Transmit (mac FTP software) will do this. It would be worth a shot.

Thanks