It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:21 am 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Check for a space before OR AFTER the name and password entries.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank JohnBick for this post
markbeek

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:31 am 

JohnBick wrote:

I already checked but there isn't any. I personally think it had to do with any old credentials left of the previous installation of whs. There is already a time machine share which is unreachable at the moment. The time machine share is only accessable with smb. Thanks for the information!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:19 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

markbeek wrote:
JohnBick wrote:

I already checked but there isn't any. I personally think it had to do with any old credentials left of the previous installation of whs. There is already a time machine share which is unreachable at the moment. The time machine share is only accessable with smb. Thanks for the information!

You might want to go into the MSS and explicitly give all users access to the Mac share.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank jmpage2 for this post
markbeek
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:58 am 

jmpage2 wrote:
markbeek wrote:

You might want to go into the MSS and explicitly give all users access to the Mac share.

I also tried that and even enabled the guess account but no-go.

As stated in a previous post I tried my other macbook with a clean OSX snow leopard installation but that didn't solved the problem.

On my "regular" macbook pro I removed every entry in the keychain of WHS but that was a no-go either.

The only thing left for me is too completely restore the WHS after removing the data discs.... I'm not to happy about doing that because I don't know for sure if the WHS accepts the data discs without removing every data on it. It's more that 3TB of discs and by completely reinstalling the WHS you will get a new storage pool.

Other solution is buying the new Storageworks X510... dual core with 1tb system disc under €500....

I will keep you guys updated!

Thanks a lot for helping and thinking along!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:12 pm 

Well I finally solved the problem. I completely reinstalled the server to factory defaults, ofcourse without my data drives attached to it. And I also renamed the server to homeserver instead of HPhomeserver. After that, both my Apple macbooks authenticated the server and were able to backup and manage the server. So finally the problem is solved!!! :)

Only one thing left.... the server doesn't add the data discs to the storage pool without formatting them. I have to manually copy every file to another disc so that I have a empty hard drive. I don't want to lose any of my data. It's a shame that WHS doesn't support rebuilding the storage pool based on existing drives.... The repair function is greyed out.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:31 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

markbeek wrote:
Only one thing left.... the server doesn't add the data discs to the storage pool without formatting them. I have to manually copy every file to another disc so that I have a empty hard drive. I don't want to lose any of my data. It's a shame that WHS doesn't support rebuilding the storage pool based on existing drives.... The repair function is greyed out.

This is normal, and the major difference between doing the Factory Reset that you performed or the Server Recovery (Restore) that does not reformat the attached disks.

Great that you got it working though!

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:41 pm 

Well it is just a minor issue to get the data back at the original location. I'm just glad that Microsoft didn't used any hard method to store the data. In this way it is always possible to take one of the data discs of the WHS and use any other system to copy the data. No hard-raid-formatted-exotic-file-table thingie, just NTFS tables and data! :)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:03 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I am very glad you got it working!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:05 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

When you get the error, does the server show up in the list in Finder? (It's a question of if the error comes from the server not being connected at all or if the error is truly due to a name/password error - you can't connect if it's not there to connect to.)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:26 pm 

TurtleDriver wrote:
When you get the error, does the server show up in the list in Finder? (It's a question of if the error comes from the server not being connected at all or if the error is truly due to a name/password error - you can't connect if it's not there to connect to.)

It was possible to make a samba share and the server was visible in finder. It was a credential error on the server side.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:37 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Glad to see I'm not the only person experiencing this issue.

Unfortunately I am still unable to correct the error. I installed the 3.0 update on a pc, then put the software on my mac. I receive the validation error.

I have enabled file sharing, my firewall on my mac was already turned off. Anything I'm missing here? I can't think of anything else. Never had an issue like this in the past.

** nevermind ** since the default name wasn't hpserver as I had set it to in the past... it's all set now, except for timemachine, it won't connect or make the necessary changes on the server to allow it to work.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:05 am 

I did update my ex475 to 3.0 and after trying everything, I still get the "validation error" on my my mac; everything else works great.

Additionally, I don't have the Software/Mac folder on the server after the Upgrade. Why? could someone send me the DMG file?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:10 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Is there any consensus on the cause of this validation error problem?

I am having it, and none of the suggested solutions I have found worked, e.g. connect via wired LAN instead of wireless, firewall settings (it's disabled), permissions on Mac share, IP address instead of server name (it detects the server name itself)... I'm not going to try the reinstall the server route.

Anyway, what I have found, which is strange, is that v3.0 of the Mac client software will not work (my server is an EX475 with v3 update), but when I installed an older v1.3 client, validation worked fine (and I could set up Time Machine, etc). I then updated the client to v3.0 again and the validation fails.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:12 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I don't have an answer, but thought I would add an update to my last post:
I uninstalled the Mac client again and installed v2.5.1. It validated fine.
So now, I have the following situation:
  • v1.3.0 - validates
  • v2.5.1 - validates
  • v3.0 - validation error

Needless to say, this is all with the same server, running v3.0 patch 3 (I think that's what v3.3 means...). Everything else, SMB access, remote desktop, etc. works fine. So it would appear that something changes in the v3.0 client that prevents it from working. However, it obviously works for some people so I am at a loss to explain.

As others have noted, the system logs in event viewer on the server report successful logon attempts for Administrator when trying to validate with the v3.0 client.

Thanks