It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:46 pm 

I have 3 Macs in the house that I would like to Time Machine backup to a new EX485 and I'm just curious if I need to do any special setup? I've followed the directions to do a backup on one of the clients and it is chugging away (takes a long time for the first TM backup), so that is working. What I'm curious about is the other machines? Do they backup into the same folder? Are they all separated somehow? I would assume so, but I'm not sure where everything goes? Do I need to anything specific on either the clients, or the server?

Thanks.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:03 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I believe or at least I should say I am pretty sure that all of your Macs will back up to one folder. I do not have the newer WHS, I have an older EX475, so I do not have Mac capability yet but, in January, when I was at CES, I was talking at length to a rep at HP and he said that was the big trick is that when you first set up the folder you have to make it big enough for all of your backups because once it is created it can't be changed without deleting and setting it up all over again. Again, I am not positive as I am anxiously waiting the HP software so I can use it more efficiently with my two Macs too. Hope it helps.

EX475 - 5.5 TB Total - 3.5TB MSS w Rosewill RSV-S5(2TB Backup Pool)- LE-1640 (AMD X2 BE-2350 unstable) - 2GB Ram
2.5 Unofficial Software Update/Time Machine Backup

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:25 am 

Just in case anyone else comes along looking for the same information...

Yes they all backup into the same folder. Each Time Machine backed up computer creates a backup file in the Mac folder. I haven't tried to restore anything yet, but the backups are working fine - or appear to be.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:09 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

arkman wrote:
Just in case anyone else comes along looking for the same information...

Yes they all backup into the same folder. Each Time Machine backed up computer creates a backup file in the Mac folder. I haven't tried to restore anything yet, but the backups are working fine - or appear to be.

This answer is correct. I have two Macs (a mini and a MBP) and the WHS Connector software for the Mac has a wizard with which you create and size (wizard automatically fills in sane defaults) a separate backup area for each Mac, with the data going under the same share on your ex486/7 server...

It works well and is user-friendly.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:32 pm 

I actually have a problem with this procedure and haven't been able to resolve it.

I was able to backup one my mac (a mini), but the other one is having issues... this is whats happening:

I installed the connector (I am running 2.5 upgrade on both the server and the connector upgraded)
Then when I go into the backup tab an try to create the backup disk it has done either of these 2 things (both failures):
1) it tries to create the backup disk and at some high percentage like say 70% it just stops, crashes and goes back to the previous window, like to try again creating the disk (Says the disk is not available).
2) If it manages to complete the creation of the disk (I actually see the file in the server and all) when it tries to "start" the disk.. it just hangs in there FOREVER.. i left it aprox 12 hours... and it never fished "starting" the server... when I checked the system logs, this is what i have found (in the mac):

ay 3 16:53:14 Hell-MacBook hpVDProxy[40]: I: virtual disk manager seting up data provider
May 3 16:53:17 Hell-MacBook hpVDProxy[40]: I: Cannot open VD image from path: smb://hellserver/Mac/Backup/W89066P94R1.macbackup
May 3 16:53:47 Hell-MacBook hpVDProxy[40]: I: virtual disk manager seting up data provider
May 3 16:53:50 Hell-MacBook hpVDProxy[40]: I: Cannot open VD image from path: smb://hellserver/Mac/Backup/W89066P94R1.macbackup
May 3 16:54:20 Hell-MacBook hpVDProxy[40]: I: virtual disk manager seting up data provider
May 3 16:54:23 Hell-MacBook hpVDProxy[40]: I: Cannot open VD image from path: smb://hellserver/Mac/Backup/W89066P94R1.macbackup

that just keeps happening over and over again...
for some reason, it canno mount the macbackup image that the software created :(

has any body seen this kind of issue? i am actually able to browse the server from the mac and all... so I don't think its an auth issue.. the account I am using is the same in the ms server as well.. even the same password :S

any help would be greatly appreciated!

PS. I used to have ext2 support and mac fusion installed and when I removed those 2 I was able to complete the disk creation... but the error above happens regardless...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:32 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I am just a little confused with your post and want to clarify. Are you trying to set up an initial Time Machine back up and having problems or are you trying to mount the back up it creates? I just noticed the wording of what you are trying to mount and want o be sure I am understanding your problem. If it is Time Machine initial back up and you got one computer to work I would start there and work backwards. In other words check the setting on the Mini and pay attention to network settings. Like the way sharing is set up on it compared to your Macbook and also look at you security firewall tab on both machines. You may have to RDC into the server and delete the actual backup file and try again. I had to do that on more than one occassion when I was playing around and it would not work. Just log into the server and browse to shares>Mac>Backup>and delete the file and start over. Be careful not to delete the wrong one. It does it by serial number, if I remember right so it may be beneficial to have that handy or go into your Apple menu>about this Mac to find it. Let me know if that gets you anywhere.

EX475 - 5.5 TB Total - 3.5TB MSS w Rosewill RSV-S5(2TB Backup Pool)- LE-1640 (AMD X2 BE-2350 unstable) - 2GB Ram

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:28 am 

Just purchased the HP EX485. I have two macs I'm trying to set up (Macmini/Macbook).
I'm confused about how to configure storage space. If the mediasmart shares both backups to one folder how do I set up capacity for each?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:08 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Great question and sorry if it was a little confusing but it works like this. Mac 1, Mac 2, and any other Macs that you want to back up share the Mac folder but they all will have their own file within that folder. That file will be named according to the serial number of the Mac it is backing up. The total folder size is determined by adding up all of the individual files with in that folder. So if I set one to 100GB and one to 200Gb the total folder will be 300GB. What can be confusing is that they all need to share the same Hard Drive on the server. The space must be contiguous whether you set up 1, 2, or 10 to backup into the Mac folder. That is why I set it up first on my WHS with only one drive in the server. That makes it pretty easy to know that it can only go to the one drive and I know exactly how much room I have to work with. Hope that helps.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:30 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

hadolphs wrote:
I actually have a problem with this procedure and haven't been able to resolve it.

I was able to backup one my mac (a mini), but the other one is having issues... this is whats happening:

I installed the connector (I am running 2.5 upgrade on both the server and the connector upgraded)
Then when I go into the backup tab an try to create the backup disk it has done either of these 2 things (both failures):
1) it tries to create the backup disk and at some high percentage like say 70% it just stops, crashes and goes back to the previous window, like to try again creating the disk (Says the disk is not available).

has any body seen this kind of issue? i am actually able to browse the server from the mac and all... so I don't think its an auth issue.. the account I am using is the same in the ms server as well.. even the same password :S

any help would be greatly appreciated!

PS. I used to have ext2 support and mac fusion installed and when I removed those 2 I was able to complete the disk creation... but the error above happens regardless...

How many available space do you have on the server? Is it contiguous (there were posts that's important)? What space did you try to reserve for the backup? If you've got 70% ready, it might be worth trying to create small disk at first, say 10-50 GB, and if it will be successful, resize it to larger afterwards.

Thanks