It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:32 pm 

Hello I can't seem to get the airport to work with the 485, and I tried following the instructions at http://www.homeserverhacks.com/2007/12/ ... e-for.html

I had the server running fine on my old router the D-link 655, but I want to get it working on the new Airport I have. I am using VMware Fusion intalled on my leopard mac pro so I am using the Airport settings on the mac pro, then trying to login in Fusion into the console but it wont connect
I saw that it said you need to change the port if you are using another computer with the airport...it said to use these..

Under Public TCP ports type: 80, 443, 4125 Under Private TCP ports type: 80, 443, 4125 I

in a later post it said to change port to 3389; so do I change the 4125 to 3389? I tried that and it didnt work.

Any idea how to get the Airport working with the mediasmart?

thanks!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:18 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I am not sure if this matters but how do you have VMWare set to get its IP address? Do you have it set to Nat or Bridged? If I remember right the default is Nat but, in Bridged it will actually get its IP address from the Router so it should be on the same domain. I ha d a lot of issues with Nat and Bridged seems to work better for me. May not help but worth a try.

EX475 - 5.5 TB Total - 3.5TB MSS w Rosewill RSV-S5(2TB Backup Pool)- LE-1640 (AMD X2 BE-2350 unstable) - 2GB Ram
2.5 Unofficial Software Update/Time Machine Backup

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:59 pm 

Yea I have a dlink n router and it works fine. But want to get it working on the airport extreme.

I have the Vmware set to bridge. THe Airport extreme doesnt support UPnP but I heard you can set it manually though. Are you using a Airport? if so what settings do you have to get it it work,

Another problem I noticed when I was using the server on the D-Link N, was that when I tried to copy my 80gigs worth of music from my mac pro into the music share, it never completed, it just quit. I tried 3 times but no go. Any ideas? I wish the server did AFP instead of SMB, which seem hard to keep mounted.

any mac tips to get this thing working ship and shape?

thanks!

Kevin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:45 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Kevin, No sorry, I am not using an Airport Extreme. I am using a D-Link N Gigabit router and it is interesting that you brought up the issue about it timing out because I have been having some serious issues with this as well. I actually created a whole other thread about this. The weird thing is that, at least on mine, it does not have to be a file that large to encounter an issue with timing out or throwing me an error 36. I would be very curious to know if this is indeed a router or network issue because I don't recall having any issues with my old Linksys WRT54G and I initially did not have any issues with my D-Link either.

As for other Mac tips and tricks, download CORD. Make remoting into the WHS much nicer as you can do it from the Mac side and not always have to be running VMWare. I try as hard as I can to not use my Windows side on either of my Macs. That is just me though.

EX475 - 5.5 TB Total - 3.5TB MSS w Rosewill RSV-S5(2TB Backup Pool)- LE-1640 (AMD X2 BE-2350 unstable) - 2GB Ram

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:09 am 

thanks! cord seems pretty interesting...I cant seem to login...what do I put in the domain field? I think it's the same problems with the proper ports not being open, not having the UPnP on the Extreme router

Yea not sure what's going on with it disconnecting when transferring files. Guess I need to call HP tech support but I hate doing that because their routing is terrible...takes like 45 minutes to get to the right department after they transfer to the wrong dept. like 3 times. But once you get there, they seem to have pretty good support.

YOu know how to keep the smb shares to stay and not disconnect? like on startup how do you get them to automatically come up. It's that they disconnect when either your mac goes to sleep or the server goes to sleep.

thanks!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:06 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

In CORD you should not have to use the domain. Mine is blank but, I know it will work if I set it to WORKGROUP. As for keping SMB shares connected, they should unless you shut down, log off, or restart. They should not drop off. Are you talking about during a transfer?

If you want them to connect when you start up drag the share into the login items under System Preferences>Accounts>(Your Account)>Login Items. Just drag the HD Icon, once you are connected to it, into that area and it should automount upon login/startup.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:56 am 

Am using Time Capsule, and could not access the server to set it up.

The only way was to disconnect the Time Capsule from the DSL modem. I waited a couple minutes, then things went ok.

If anybody has any other fixes, I'd be pleased to get your email to discuss.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:29 pm 

It actually disconnects sometimes when it has been sleeping for awhile, after it has woken up, but sometimes it will just disconnect with not sleeping.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:34 pm 

catedon, I have this setting in my port settings for port forwarding, your ip for your hp server would be different however.

http://idisk.me.com/kevans/Public/Pictu ... 183242.jpg

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:39 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

netherscurial wrote:
catedon, I have this setting in my port settings for port forwarding, your ip for your hp server would be different however.

http://idisk.me.com/kevans/Public/Pictu ... 183242.jpg

What are you using port 3389 for?

Attached is my airport extreme setup. I made individual rules so I can stop one without taking them all down. Setup assitant shot looks the same as the other person's screen shot just one port listed.

Attachment:
Picture 5.png
Picture 5.png [ 33.79 KiB | Viewed 12680 times ]

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:33 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

netherscurial wrote:
What are you using port 3389 for?

3389 are for RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol)

APC Smart-UPS 1000 VA

Thanks