All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:47 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

First:
I recommend creating a shared folder on the MSS called "MAC"
****NOTE****
I recommend keeping this share name simple. No spaces, no special characters..etc.

Second:
Create a username and password on the MSS that matches the credentials on the MAC. I also gave this user full permission to everything.
MAC:
Username - Scott
Password - password
MSS:
Username - Scott
Password - password
****NOTE*****
I also recommend keeping the username simple. No spaces, no special charaters...etc.
Again the username and password has to match on both.

Third:
You need to mount the shared folder you created on the MAC. Go to "GO" - "Connect to Server" - "smb://servername" (servername= what you named it when setting up your MSS) - Click "Connect" - It will then prompt you for the username and password.
username - Scott
password - password
It will then ask you to Select the volumes to mount: You want to choose "MAC" (the shared folder you created on the MSS)

Fourth
Start SuperDuper
Copy "Macintosh HD" to "Disk Image" - Make sure this is pointed at the "MAC" shared folder you created on the MSS. It will then ask you to Save As: (again choose a simple name, no spaces, no special characters...etc.) I put in "macbook"
Also make sure Image type is : Read/Write "Sparse" Image

Click - Copy Now
It will then prompt you for the username and password - same one as above
Then choose Copy.

It will begin the process of creating the Disk Image.

I hope the directions are ok and not to drawn out. And if anyone needs additional info or finds anything wrong with the instructions please let me know and i can update them. I hope this helps out anyone that is having issues or are new to MAC and MSS.
Thanks

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank ScottLucky13 for this post
ddfarra, dpc, friendo, jim.davidson, Kiwi, yakuza

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:15 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Nice post. Yakuza should put a copy into the wiki.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:21 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Great job, Scott!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:10 pm 
Founder
Founder

Great tutorial, Scott, thanks! I'd love to get this into the wiki, but could use some help, if you're willing to sign up an account on the Wiki I can make you an editor and you can put it in there. In the mean time, I hope some front-page blog love gets some more attention to this topic.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:53 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

ScottLucky13 wrote:
I hope the directions are ok and not to drawn out. And if anyone needs additional info or finds anything wrong with the instructions please let me know and i can update them. I hope this helps out anyone that is having issues or are new to MAC and MSS.
Thanks

I am kinda new to this SuperDuper and how it can be used to restore over the network in the case I need to rebuild my hard disk. For example, say in the case my Mac has a hard-crashed OS boot disk, and I need to restore from the image SuperDuper created...

Could a "How to restore full drive" portion be added to this HOWTO? :)

Thanks,
David

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:51 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I do something like this already using ChronoSync... but won't all of this be superfluous once HP releases its update for the EX470 allowing Time Machine backups? Hopefully this WILL happen someday, right?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:53 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Yakuza,

Looks as though this thread and this one http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3419&start=0 would serve users best if they were merged.

Cheers,
Kiwi

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:15 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

dpc wrote:
ScottLucky13 wrote:
Thanks

I am kinda new to this SuperDuper and how it can be used to restore over the network in the case I need to rebuild my hard disk. For example, say in the case my Mac has a hard-crashed OS boot disk, and I need to restore from the image SuperDuper created...

From the SuperDuper! manual, available at http://homepage.mac.com/dnanian/SuperDuper/SuperDuper.pdf

Restoring when you can’t boot from your backup
If you have a backup image or volume, but can’t boot from it, you can still restore using your OS X install disc and the "Disk Utility" application. To do so:
• Start up from your OS X Install disc.
• Choose “Disk Utility” from the Application menu.
• Select the drive you want to restore to, and switch to the Restore tab.
Note; If you’re restoring from a sparse image, as in the following screen shot, first open the image by choosing File > Open Image… in Disk Utility. Then, use the volume that appears (e.g. “Backup”, below) as the source.

• Follow the instructions on the Restore tab: the backup created by SuperDuper is fully compatible with Disk Utility’s Restore function.
• Once the backup has been restored, restart your computer with Option held down, and select it as your startup volume.

Recovery accomplished!

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Kiwi for this post
dpc
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:25 pm 
Founder
Founder

Rather than merge the topics (this one is SuperDuper specific, the other one seems more general about Mac backup solutions) I added the word "Tutorial" to the title to more clearly differentiate the two.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:45 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Kiwi wrote:
dpc wrote:

From the SuperDuper! manual, available at http://homepage.mac.com/dnanian/SuperDuper/SuperDuper.pdf

Restoring when you can’t boot from your backup
If you have a backup image or volume, but can’t boot from it, you can still restore using your OS X install disc and the "Disk Utility" application. To do so:
• Start up from your OS X Install disc.
• Choose “Disk Utility” from the Application menu.
• Select the drive you want to restore to, and switch to the Restore tab.
Note; If you’re restoring from a sparse image, as in the following screen shot, first open the image by choosing File > Open Image… in Disk Utility. Then, use the volume that appears (e.g. “Backup”, below) as the source.

• Follow the instructions on the Restore tab: the backup created by SuperDuper is fully compatible with Disk Utility’s Restore function.
• Once the backup has been restored, restart your computer with Option held down, and select it as your startup volume.

Recovery accomplished!

Cool! It was not clear from the SuperDuper! manual that this would work with a network share.

Indeed, this technique is similar to the instructions that HP has for a Time Machine full system (including OS) restore in that you need the OS install disk. However, the SuperDuper method would seem to forego a full OS re-install from scratch, which HP's manual indicates was the only path for restoring OS onto a disk replacement, from a Time Machine backup or otherwise. (I have an HP MediaSmart ex485 which supports the "native" Time machine backup option, so if I ever lost the drive on one of my Mac, SuperDuper approach would avoid an OS re-install.)

Below are the instructions from HP's built-in documentation for doing a full (including OS) restore from a Time Machine backup on the MediaSmart server with Mac support. Clearly, the SuperDuper! method seems to be less of a hassle in this scenario-- as you do not need to re-install the entire OS, as you would with HPs guidelines.

Quote:
How our Mac Restore Works

We have implemented a restore process where you can restore your data that has been backed up. We have not implemented a program where you can recover your Mac Operating System.
Restoring your Mac from a failed hard drive scenario will involve the following steps:
    Install the new hard drive
    Install Mac OS X 10.5 from the ”Mac OS X Install Disc”
    Install Mac OS X operating system updates, to ensure everything is up-to-date
    Install HP MediaSmart Server Mac Client software
    Configure HP MediaSmart Server Mac Client settings including: server name, administrator password, backup location (using the same share that was used for the backup) and enable backup disk
    Choose the disk called ”Backup to the HP MediaSmart Server” disk in the Time Machine System Preferences
    Launch Time Machine and ask to restore to the latest backup
© 2009 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. All rights reserved.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:08 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

dpc wrote:
Cool! It was not clear from the SuperDuper! manual that this would work with a network share.

Indeed, this technique is similar to the instructions that HP has for a Time Machine full system (including OS) restore in that you need the OS install disk. However, the SuperDuper method would seem to forego a full OS re-install from scratch, which HP's manual indicates was the only path for restoring OS onto a disk replacement, from a Time Machine backup or otherwise. (I have an HP MediaSmart ex485 which supports the "native" Time machine backup option, so if I ever lost the drive on one of my Mac, SuperDuper approach would avoid an OS re-install.)

Below are the instructions from HP's built-in documentation for doing a full (including OS) restore from a Time Machine backup on the MediaSmart server with Mac support. Clearly, the SuperDuper! method seems to be less of a hassle in this scenario-- as you do not need to re-install the entire OS, as you would with HPs guidelines.

Are you sure that the network drivers/services needed to mount an SMB share are loaded via Disk Utility with just the OS X install disk? I have not been able to confirm that this will work with an SMB share. If this worked why would HP not use this method? Has anyone confirmed this? I am currently thinking this will require a re-install of the OS first before it will mount the SMB share just like HP does. It only seems to mention mounting via local disk or http. Here is the screenshot from the doc.

Attachments:
Mac Disk Utility.jpg
Mac Disk Utility.jpg [ 96.51 KiB | Viewed 56725 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:37 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

You do not need disk utility for that. You need to turn in windows file sharing in the system preferences. Then you can mount the share by pressing command+k in the finder and entering smb://server as your share. This works 100%.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:46 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

yakuza wrote:
Great tutorial, Scott, thanks! I'd love to get this into the wiki, but could use some help, if you're willing to sign up an account on the Wiki I can make you an editor and you can put it in there. In the mean time, I hope some front-page blog love gets some more attention to this topic.

Wow sorry guys. I have been pretty busy at work lately. Yea I don't mind, i can put it on the wiki if you like. just let me know what i have to do. thanks

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:54 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Thank you very much. Excellent post and great tutorial. I have been patiently waiting for the EX470/EX475 Mac update for the Time Machine back up capabilities but, this is a great solution.

EX475 - 5.5 TB Total - 3.5TB MSS w Rosewill RSV-S5(2TB Backup Pool)- LE-1640 (AMD X2 BE-2350 unstable) - 2GB Ram
2.5 Unofficial Software Update/Time Machine Backup

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:56 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

revengineer wrote:
You do not need disk utility for that. You need to turn in windows file sharing in the system preferences. Then you can mount the share by pressing command+k in the finder and entering smb://server as your share. This works 100%.

Ok now I am confussed. Are you saying this will work when booting from the OS X Install Disk? It seems to me the problem with backing up a Mac is the recovery process if your hard drive toasts. How would I recover a newly installed empty hard drive in my Mac from the SuperDuper image sitting on my MSS share?

Thanks