It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:29 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:20 am 

Hello,
Has anyone enabled File Services for Macintosh on a Windows Home Server? SMB file sharing is fine for the most part, but I hate how it handles files with resource forks. I just received my EX485 and spent most of the night setting it up and copying files over. Pretty happy so far. Thank you.

jugu

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:56 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I've been sending and streaming files to/from my EX485 with my Mac Mini using SMB. I installed the client on the Mac, but it still connects to the MMS using SMB. Is there another way?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:40 pm 

By default on a Windows 2003 server, which WHS is based, Services for Macintosh is not installed. If you log into the server via a Remote Desktop Connection and then open the Add/Remove Programs control panel, you can install these components. So says this Microsoft document:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 80031.aspx

I was hoping to find someone who had done this installation before with a Windows Home Server installation. But I couldn't find anything about anyone have these services installed on MSS. Guess I'll take one for the team and try and get the File Services running on my lil' guy.

jugu

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:48 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

For those of us who are unfamiliar if we did this what would it do for us?

Proud owner of a EX485 with 2 x 1.5 TB drives, 750 GB Drive, and 1 TB Drive

Mixed house of Windows XP, Vista and Mac OS X, Apple TV streaming from MediaSmart Server

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:45 pm 

File Services for Macintosh uses the Apple File Protocol to deliver the files to Mac OS X clients, instead of using SMB. The main advantage of using AFP is when copying files from the Mac which contain a resource fork. SMB breaks up the file into two pieces, data fork and resource fork. What happens is not just the pollution of your server with resource fork files, but sometimes these files are left orphaned on the server. If Mac A copies file to via SMB to server, and then Mac B copies down the same file locally, the resource fork may not come along for the ride. I've seen this quite a bit on SAMBA servers in the Linux world, and since Mac OS X is using SAMBA for SMB support I'm afraid I might run into this. Also from the Linux side of things, Mac clients using AFP tend to have better file copy performance versus using SMB. But I've read a few things regarding Windows 2003 server which say the opposite is true. Also, until the release of the updated MSS software, Time Machine would not back up to an SMB share. I haven't dug into it at all yet to see what HP did to support this, but I doubt they enabled AFP support for this single purpose. Does this mean SMB is bad? No and it works quite well. For most people this is a non-issue. Control freaks and old school Mac heads seem mildly interested.

jugu

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:40 pm 
Founder
Founder

Is the resource fork still relevant in OS X?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:22 pm 

How do we connect with remote desktop? Do we just use the remote desktop in accessories, and connect from there? I tried it from my windows machine, but it says I have to enable it. Remote Desktop is already enabled, is there somewhere else? How do I see all the features and the control panel outside the Windows Home Server Console?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:07 pm 
Founder
Founder

You have to perform the initial setup with a Windows machine, are you experiencing issues with accessing via Remote Desktop after performing the initial setup?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:55 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Does anyone have anymore info on Mac Services? I logged onto my MSS through RDP (remote desktop) and i found the service to install. What happens if i do install this? Will it affect other file services? Will it mess up anything else? In another thread i installed super duper and was trying to back it up to my MSS and i am thinking i need to have this installed to get it to work? I am definitely not scared to try this as i have all my data that i need backed up on a external drive.

My theory is, if it does mess with something else i can just uninstall the Mac services and hopefully everything will be back to normal?

Thanks for any input.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:26 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

The version of AFP on the MMS is rather old, and not very useful, iirc it is mostly good for legacy printer & scanner setups. By default OS X 10.5.6 uses SMB, and APF is not active. I have tried it and noticed little to no difference on my network.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:44 am 

AFP is indeed enabled in Mac OS X. AppleTalk is disabled however. One is a file sharing protocol another a communication layer.

So I enabled the Services for Macintosh, created a Mac share, and am unable to mount the Mac share I created. The Finder gives me the error, "... Finder cannot complete the operation... data could not be read or written. (Error Code -36)".

Strange thing is, enabling Services for Macintosh, seems to have affected the file copy performance when mounting SMB shares. Even mounting the SMB shares seems to take longer as well. Giving up for now. I have other issues to investigate, such as why my iTunes sharing stops working requiring a server reboot to get it going again...

Thanks