It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:44 am 

Just got my EX487 yesterday from HPShopping. Everything is set up now (used my work Windows laptop)

My question is what do I need to do to get the ITunes server working? I have enabled the ITunes server in the Console. Do I just need to manually copy my music from my Macbook to the Music folder on the server? The videos to the video folder, etc....

Thanks in advance for the help!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:57 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

It is as easy as that. Just copy all your music to the default Music share and then in iTunes, the music library will show up as a shared library.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:32 pm 

I copied my music to the Music folder on the EX487. But I cannot get the iTunes application to install on the server.

I downloaded the EXE on my PC then copied it to the MSS desktop via the RDC but when I attempt to launch the iTunes.exe I get an error message that says " Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the file."

Same thing happens when I try to install the WhsProgramLauncher.

I am following the instructions in the other forum to get make my files available to my Apple TV. RIght now I have a $649 paperweight - please help!!!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:21 pm 
Founder
Founder

The iTunes server is already available on your MSS, if you've already copied your music then just make sure it is enabled, fire up iTunes on your client PC, and it should appear as a shared library source.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
tmack
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:00 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

For the past few years I have used my PowerMac as my iTunes server until my MSS arrived. Although I'm still trying to decide how best to setup everything, considering I sync iPhones and iPods (The iTunes server plugin only shows up as a shared media library so you can not sync it). So in the mean time I have chosen to use this MAC software ChronoSync. It will compare folders on my MAC and my server and sync any changes, in my case from my PowerMac to MSS. This software also solves the issue of the MSS server not being able to sweep folders on my MAC's for new items. It will sweep Windows Machines right out of the box.

I am looking for a better solution that truly allows iTunes to work maybe as a plugin on my MSS. I have read the thread on this board but I'm not convinced that the best solution. I've been thinking about post a developer challenge where I am willing to pay a fee hopefully along with other iTunes users so a proper plugin is developed maybe in a open source license so it can be improved on. But it will have to be the right developer, more on this later.

Proud owner of a EX485 with 2 x 1.5 TB drives, 750 GB Drive, and 1 TB Drive

Mixed house of Windows XP, Vista and Mac OS X, Apple TV streaming from MediaSmart Server

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:49 am 

yakuza wrote:
The iTunes server is already available on your MSS, if you've already copied your music then just make sure it is enabled, fire up iTunes on your client PC, and it should appear as a shared library source.

I am wanting to use the library on my Apple TV as well. In order to add a Shared Library on the ATV, it says open iTunes and enter a specific 5 digit code. Without iTunes software on the MSS how can I get the ATV to see the MSS?

I have tried the instructions in the General Discussion forum , but get the error in the RDC that I mention in my earlier post.

Any other thoughts on how to get the ATV to see my MSS ???

Thanks again for the help!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:42 am 
Founder
Founder

I'm not familiar with AppleTV, make sure you've reviewed the excellent Apple TV Super FAQ in the wiki. If that is what you are trying to follow (it's also in the General forum), then the error you are encountering can be resolved by right-clicking the .exe file, select Properties, then click "Unblock".

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
tmack
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:15 am 

yakuza wrote:
I'm not familiar with AppleTV, make sure you've reviewed the excellent Apple TV Super FAQ in the wiki. If that is what you are trying to follow (it's also in the General forum), then the error you are encountering can be resolved by right-clicking the .exe file, select Properties, then click "Unblock".

Thanks!! The "Unblock" did the trick

Thanks