It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:25 pm 

Here are my experiences with Mountain Lion and HP MediaSmart Server EX495:

1. After upgrading to Mountain Lion on two different Macs, I found that only some of my Shared Folders were accessible (ie, some folders just didn't show up on Finder). Our Mac that remains on Lion has no difficulty accessing all of the Shared Folders. I think I have been able to solve this problem by installing NFS support on my MSS and sharing d:\shares. Now on the Mac in Finder, when I click on my home server under 'SHARED', I see the same subset of my Shared Folders as before but now there is a new entry for 'shares'. If I delve into 'shares', I see all of my shared folders. I have not done enough testing yet to know if I will get into any trouble accessing these shared folders from the Mac, especially for duplicated shares, but I have confirmed that I can see data files in the folders I could not see without NFS and I can write to those folders. The instructions I followed to add NFS support are here: http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2009/12 ... fs-in-whs/

2. The System Preferences entry for HP Media Smart Server doesn't function. Once installed, it gets into a loop saying "To use the HP MediaSmart Server preferences pane, System Preferences must quit and reopen." Responding OK to this message, just gives the message again. However, the menu bar item for MSS does appear. Open Home Page from the dropdown seems to work (but I don't have remote access set up, so can't really test this), but Launch Home Server Console does not.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to fix these problems. Also, does anyone know if it is safe for me to access my shared folders via NFS in the manner I have described?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:40 pm 

Same problem.

I connected directly, using the "connect to server" command (command + K), typed in smb://servername/folderiwant and was able to directly connect to the folder I was previously unable to access as a separate shared drive.

Not an ideal solution, but one that's working. I also can't access the system pref panel; I tried reinstalling the software from the server and that didn't seem to do the trick.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:00 am 

I should add, I have a 490, not 495. I doubt it matters for these purposes.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:32 pm 

Have not had too much of an issue with the shared drives, as my HP device shows up under shared since I have upgraded to Mountain Lion over this past weekend.

Issue that remains for me is installing the MSS software, getting the same with the Preference panel is in a circular, must restart. When I installed it, it wanted to reboot and after the reboot the Installer is asking to Open something - no clue what it is looking for?

Assuming that this install process is suppose to patches Time Machine in some way to allow it to see the HP server?

Thanks for any ideas.

I am running a HP Data Vault x300.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:45 am 

The 10.8.1 update solved my problem.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:05 pm 

The 10.8.1 updated did solve the problem of not seeing all of my shares when I view our server in Finder. However, I still get the loop when I try to open the HP Server Preferences and 'Launch Home Server Console' still does not work.

Summarizing: 1. in my original post is resolved with the 10.8.1 update, but not item 2.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:49 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

the HP console hasnt worked since Lion. I was hoping for a change also but...

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank T-Bone for this post
margheds
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:51 pm 

Has anyone ever been able to come up with a solution to the System Preference looping issue when trying to install WHS Connector on a Mountain Lion Mac?

I am trying to add the first Mac to my HP Mediasmart Ex495 network (WHS 3003, not 2011) but all I am able to do with the Mac is view and access shared files on the EX495 and other computers. None of the Mac files can be seen by the other computers, and even though the Connector software keeps saying installation is successful, the Mac is not being added as a computer on the Ex495 network and I can't do Mac backups (or other stuff vis-avis the Mac), can't get the console on the Mac, etc. The installation process places the EX495 icon on my System Preferences trays, but when I click it the "Launch Home Server Console" and all of the other options are grayed out except the one that is labeled "System Preferences". And when I click on that one, I get a pop-up screen that says "To use HP Mediasmart Server preference pane, System Preferences must quit and re-open." If I click on OK, the same screen keeps popping up in an endless loop. I clicked on a Help button on that screen and a message popped up discussing how some preference panes use older technologies that require System Preferences to quit and re-open in a mode compatible with the older technologies.

I am getting desperate about not being able to back up the Mac, which we are using for a couple very important projects. Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:53 pm 

Oops, meant to say I'm using WHS 2003, not 2011.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:16 am 

I use Carbon Copy Cloner to backup my Mac to my HP WHS, it seems to work well for me, but I think there are other products. I can't use Time Machine to back up to my WHS anymore.

Firstly, as some one has already pointed out, you can connect to the server by right clicking on the finder icon in the dock and select 'Connect to Server'. Type in the server address which must look something like this 'smb://yourservername' e.g. smb://hpstorage. Hit the connect button and it will ask you to select the volume you want to connect to, you can then select one or more and these will then be available to you in the Finder. These can then be accessed as network volumes by Carbon Copy Cleaner for your backup.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Struddy for this post
Comp1962
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:28 pm 

After mountain lion, I can no longer log in at all. From the connect to server screen the log in page will show up and it just shakes every time. I created a guest user on the server with no password and it still just shakes on all my macs when trying as a guest. All PCs get in fine. Including windblows running in parallels on my macs. But for a number of reasons i want to get in through mac.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:06 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I connect to my WHS2003 box via Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection, free from Microsoft. I don't use the WHS module for Mac, and haven't for years. It's just a web-based dashboard. But I've been a Windows server monkey for a while, so I know my way around a Windows server.

If you want your shared drives on your WHS server to show up when you log into your Mac:
1: Mount your network drives
2: Open System Preferences
3: Then Users and Groups
4: Then the Login Items tab for the account in question
5: Drag your mounted drives to the list of items on the right.
6: Exit preferences.
This will launch your drives at each login.

For backups I use two drives on my Mac Pro: an internal drive running Time Machine which I use mostly for "I shouldn't have deleted that" issues and an external drive using Carbon Copy Cloner Plus for disaster recovery purposes as it creates a bootable copy of my system drive should my system drive die.

You could mount a DMG file on your server and use CCC+ to backup there, but you lose your bootable backup option.

Time machine is nice, but as someone who's had to do a system restore from a time machine backup, I can tell you it's not a very good disaster recovery option.

I backup my WHS server to an external ESATA drive and swap that disk, as well as the CCC+ drive on my Mac with a pair I keep in a bank safe deposit box.

Thanks