It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:53 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:17 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

With WHS being dead Im wondering if anyone has tried setting up an has experianced using mac mini server as a so called WHS. I know We got served wrote and ebook but I would like to know practical use experiance.

Im not sure if Ill go completely apple or look at server 2012 or not its up in the air at this point. I just want to know my options. I liked the ease of use WHS offered.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:02 am 

Hey T-Bone,

I am actually in the same boat you are. However WHS as it stands is not actually dead until you the enduser determines it to be so. As long as the version of WHS your currently using continues to meet your needs then it will remain a viable solution for you.

This does not mean that you should stop seeking alternate solution just that I believe you have plenty of time to figure out your options to figure out whats the best solution for you. The other day I was at a Wells Fargo bank which use to be Wachovia and I noticed that the tellers computer was still running Windows XP. I run a factory and work on all the industrial controls and I have an old 98 Notebook I still use to troubleshoot an older machine because none of the newer notebooks I have can talk to the thing and for all the newer equipement we have I have to use Win XP Pro as the software from Rockwell Automation was never upgraded when Vista came out and I am not sure about Win 7 but there I am with a notebook running Win XP which MS no longer supports unless an update for the newer OS's can be installed on XP.

The point I am trying to make is basically if WHS is still working for you then its not dead until it stops meeting your needs and that you have plenty of time to seek out alternate solutions. I can't really comment on if it will work with Win 8 or not but on my next long weekend I will find out but I have to see if I can have a different Password for Win 8 than my Windows Live Password but lets just say I am not enthusiastic about Win 8 as it does have a slight learning curve to get around it.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:48 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

T-Bone wrote:
With WHS being dead Im wondering if anyone has tried setting up an has experianced using mac mini server as a so called WHS. I know We got served wrote and ebook but I would like to know practical use experiance.

Im not sure if Ill go completely apple or look at server 2012 or not its up in the air at this point. I just want to know my options. I liked the ease of use WHS offered.

If you are running Windows clients, don't do it. Macs make terrible servers for Windows clients. I tried using a Mac Mini with Lion Server. The experience was, well, "painful" is a gross understatement.

Thanks