It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:05 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Anybody know of a way to upload photos from my iPad to my EX-485 WHS box? I can log into the server, get to the photos album, and click the Upload button, but have no way to browse to the photos on the iPad. I know that Apple doesn't really let you get to the file system on the iPad, so maybe this is just not doable at all.

I usually take my Windows laptop when we travel and each night I put the pictures that I have taken on the laptop and then upload them back to my EX-485 at home for safe keeping. We've got a trip coming up and I'd like to take the iPad rather than the bulkier Windows laptop, but would still like to be able to get my photos back to my EX-485 at home.

My backup plan is to upload the photos to Dropbox while I'm gone, but would really rather send them to the EX-485 if anybody has any ideas as to how to do so.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:51 am 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

Do you use iCloud? You can point the iCloud upload and download folders at your server so they sync directly to the server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:08 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I use an app call FilesConnect that has an SMB Server built into it. That allows me to point windows explorer at my iPad and see my Documents, Music, and Photos directories. From there you can drag-n-drop all you want. It's not super fast but it gets the job done. I also use FilesConnect to brwose my desktop from the iPad.

Something else you might useful is FingerPrint. It runs on your WHS box (at least that's where I have it running) and it allows you to print to one or more printers from your iPad. Very convenient and cheap at $9.95. My printer is on the network and it shares it just as if it was connected directly to the server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:31 pm 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

Does it do from the ipad to the server or just server to ipad?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:45 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I didn't have any success copying from the server to the iPad via Windows Explorer. I think you can do it from within FilesConnect but it's a bit cumbersome. There may be better Apps available.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:50 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Hadn't thought about iCloud. I assume I would RDP to the WHS box and install the iCloud client on WHS? I always seem to forget that WHS is just a Windows server box so you can install other stuff on it. I'm not an iCloud user, but I do use DropBox, so I would think the same scenario would work for DropBox. I think I'll give that a try.

Haven't heard of FilesConnect. Is this an iPad app (from the Apple app store)? And a component that you install on the WHS box? And then you can see your WHS folders directly on the iPad and copy photos from the iPad directly to the WHS folder? Sounds slick.

I'll also have to look at FingerPrint. You say it runs on your WHS? I assume there is a companion app that runs on the iPad, so that it can see the printer on your network? Very interesting... I have loaded the free HP printing app on the iPad which allows me to print photos and documents to my networked printer, but not anything from Safari without setting up an HP ePrint cloud printing account, which so far I have chosen not to do. This may be a better solution.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:44 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

fisher99 wrote:
Anybody know of a way to upload photos from my iPad to my EX-485 WHS box? I can log into the server, get to the photos album, and click the Upload button, but have no way to browse to the photos on the iPad. I know that Apple doesn't really let you get to the file system on the iPad, so maybe this is just not doable at all.

I usually take my Windows laptop when we travel and each night I put the pictures that I have taken on the laptop and then upload them back to my EX-485 at home for safe keeping.

RDP into your Windows Home Sever and install the iCloud Windows Control panel. Turn on PhotoStream. I recommend you create a new Photostream folder within your pictures folder share - all new pictures taken on your iOS devices will show up in there automatically. More importantly, you'll notice there is a second path provided in the PhotoStream settings in the iCloud Windows Control panel - I created an uploads folder inside my Photostream folder, but you can point it to wherever you like. Photo's placed in there will find there way to your iOS devices via PhotoStream in a matter of minutes depending on the photo size and the quality of your data connection on your iOS device (wifi will happen much faster than cellular connectivity, for example).

Test that out and see if it's close enough! Otherwise you can try a webDAV navigator like this one or just accessing the remote logon page of your Windows Home Server from Safari in your iPad. I'm prett sure you can view photos' within Safari that are on your WHS via the web page. Indeed, you had me curious so I re-enabled remote access and logged into my WHS 2011 box on my iPad, navigated to the photo's folder and was able to see the photo's in there. I had to open sub-folders using the tree on the left - tapping on folders in the window on the right didn't do anything, but once I figured that out it was trivial to browse all the photo's on my WHS.

If you are still using WHS v1 that HP provided, they had a cool iOS app that, among other things, had a photo browser built into it that would show your photo's in your photo's folder.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:38 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

EricE:

Yes, I know that I can view the photos on my WHS box (HP EX-485 running v1 WHS) from my iPad. But what I want to do is upload photos from the iPad to the WHS. When I try to upload files from the iPad to the WHS, Safari on the iPad can't browse to the photo location on the iPad to perform the upload.

I am currently using Dropbox on the iPad and on the WHS, so at least I am now able to get the photos uploaded. I understand that I could do a similar thing with Apple's iCloud. But I'm not really a fan of this method. I really would like to have the control that the manual upload process (with good old IE or FireFox on a Windows machine) can give me. I really wish I had that ability with Safari on the iPad.

Of course the other problem, as I discovered on my recent trip, is that the iPad (running IOS 5) doesn't allow DropBox to multitask in the background. Start an upload of, say 100 photos, switch to another app, and the upload stops. Or let the iPad go to sleep and the upload stops. Very frustrating.

Guess I'll be looking very closely at the new Microsoft Surfact tablets when they hit the market...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:50 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Thought I'd close this thread by posting that I now have a solution that meets my needs. WebDav Navigator on the iPad talking to my WHS v1 box thanks to a slick WHS add-in called WebFolders4WHS. Works very well.

Thanks to all for for some good pointers and suggestions that got me looking in the right direction.

Thanks