It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:51 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Maybe Apple could do something for the poor whs users?

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank molier for this post
BMCG

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:49 am 
Founder
Founder

I expect Apple purposefully broke this so that you'd be forced to use Apple approved hardware.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:05 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

yakuza wrote:
I expect Apple purposefully broke this so that you'd be forced to use Apple approved hardware.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas- ... hine-nases

The other NAS vendors appear to have updates in the works. Obviously the MSS has been abandoned by HP, so if you want to upgrade your OS, then you need to switch to a NAS for which ongoing support for Time Machine is being offered.

FWIW, I am holding off on a Lion upgrade for now. I don't see it doing much for me that Snow Leopard doesn't already do, except break some stuff.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:14 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I am not even to the point that I can get Time Machine to work. I can't even get the RDC to work since upgrading to Lion. When I click on the HP Media Server app. I can put in my server name and password. It says "authenticated" Then does not let click on the backup or software update tabs. So, it never gets me logged in. If I try to just run the Remote Desktop Connection, I get the error "Certificate or Authentication chain invalid" So, it looks like I am stuck. Even if I could just get the RDC working. It would at least be a step in the right direction

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:29 pm 

rodneyat wrote:
I am not even to the point that I can get Time Machine to work. I can't even get the RDC to work since upgrading to Lion. When I click on the HP Media Server app. I can put in my server name and password. It says "authenticated" Then does not let click on the backup or software update tabs. So, it never gets me logged in. If I try to just run the Remote Desktop Connection, I get the error "Certificate or Authentication chain invalid" So, it looks like I am stuck. Even if I could just get the RDC working. It would at least be a step in the right direction

I have same problem after I upgraded to Lion (tried upgrade and clean install)
(Server Tab works, but when I click on Backup or Software Update the Tabs do not appear)

I have called HP support today and they told me I should use 32 bit mode (boot with 32 keys pressed), but then it also does not work with me :-( [yes, my Mac does boot in 32 bit mode after this]

But I have RDC working!
The HP installer installs an old version of Remote Desktop, 2.0.0
Ii removed it from the application folder and downloaded version 2.1.1 from the Microsoft website:
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads

This one works OK with me, also in 64 bit mode.
With RDC 2.1.1 I can also use the Windows Home Server Console on my Mac.

But still I can not use Time Machine for backup & HP utility to wake server from standby...

Everything works fine on my 10.6.8 Mac.
I would expect HP should fix this, my server is only 1,5 years old...

B.T.W.: I have HP MSS EX490, version 3.3.1.35433 / Mac Client: 3.0.2b120 / Official Mac OS X Lion 10.7 from App store

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:56 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

FWIW: The update for the Mac client from the b80 version to the b120 version broke both my 32-bit and 64-bit connections to the EX495 running the version 3.3 software. Calling HP support could not get resolution.

I recently loaded WHS 2011 and have everything running including time machine (followed the instructions here: http://www.multimedia-pcs.com/version-3 ... me-server/ )

I have not yet switched to Lion and am still running 10.6 on my MacPro and MacBook Pro. I'm waiting to see how it goes as I have no pressing need to upgrade. As you have already made the switch to Lion, you may want to try the method linked above to get time machine running and might want to try WHS 2011 (it's a lot better for the basics from what I have seen so far).

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:39 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Lion disables an older, less secure authentication method. Luckily you can re-enable it: http://www.alexanderwilde.com/2011/04/o ... orkaround/

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:34 pm 

Change is never easy and sometimes not welcomed but we also have to accept the constant evolution of comptuers and with each passing upgrade we can expect to lose something. The concern here is less secure but there is an absense of choice and if the link does provide a solution then one would of thought that Apple would of given the end user a choice. Was this purposefully done by Apple or just an oversite on their part.

I think it would be interesting to know if the link provides a solution to those who desire to continue to use Time Machine with their WHS and OS X Lion so please do share your experiences so that others may bennifit from this.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:00 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

The HP software doesn't work with WHS 2011 (and it didn't work for me with the latest update to the EX495 software) but I find that the directions provided here: http://www.tomontech.com/2011/04/how-to ... rver-2011/ work well with SL and WHS 2011. It should be easy enough to try with Lion.

I'm delaying the upgrade to Lion on my Macs until most the problems with it get sorted out.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:41 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

TurtleDriver wrote:
The HP software doesn't work with WHS 2011 (and it didn't work for me with the latest update to the EX495 software) but I find that the directions provided here: http://www.tomontech.com/2011/04/how-to ... rver-2011/ work well with SL and WHS 2011. It should be easy enough to try with Lion.

I'm delaying the upgrade to Lion on my Macs until most the problems with it get sorted out.

I tried the instructions on Lion and WHS2010. I dont see any errors while enabling the NonSupported backup volumes. I was able to create the Sparsebundle but I cannot see the Backup Volume int the TimeMachine preferences. If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

Client3: Win7 Prof 32bit
Client4: MacBook Pro
Client5: Mac Mini

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:32 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Did you make the modifications the link specifies to ensure that TimeMachine will show the unsupported volume?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:47 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

TurtleDriver wrote:
Did you make the modifications the link specifies to ensure that TimeMachine will show the unsupported volume?

@Tom,
Thank you very much for the follow-up. I assume you mean, running the command "default writes..." then yes. Unfortunately, I still dont see the backup folder under TimeMachine. ](*,)

[Edit] I am running Lion on my macs (not Snow Leopard). I saw some other posts that suggest a protocol was disabled in Lion and hence the trouble.

Client3: Win7 Prof 32bit
Client4: MacBook Pro
Client5: Mac Mini

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:02 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Yes, that's what I meant. The first time I entered the command I got it wrong and it didn't work. Once I entered it correctly all worked fine (in SL of course).

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank TurtleDriver for this post
GGHTPC
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:43 am 

Hi All,

Wanted to share my experience trying to get AFP-based TM working. See the first post of the following thread over as We Got Served.

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/ ... -netatalk/

I have this colinux-netatalk solution working on my EX490 and am finally ready to move up to Lion on my hackintosh. Probably better for EX495 owners, but works for EX490 also. The instructions are pretty detailed, so even though it may look daunting, the install is pretty simple.

Downside, is it taxes the celeron CPU heavily when TM backups are going. Very little CPU use when no doing a backup. Thinking of switching from hourly to daily, middle of night backup until I upgrade my CPU.

Hope this helps those MSS owners still struggling with this.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank skoal74 for this post
EricE, yakuza
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:47 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

yakuza wrote:

You'd be wrong. If you are really interested in what's going on, why don't you look over the features that were added to the newer version of AFP that Lion requires. If you do so, and you keep in mind the kind of file system access Time Machine requires, it will be pretty obvious why Time Machine in Lion was changed to require a new AFP and not support SMB any more at all.

Despite the rhetoric from the haters, Apple is rarely (if ever) capricious or arbitrary. What they are is unwilling to compromise the user experience.

Apple changed Time Machine for the same reasons Microsoft dropped Drive Extender - reliability. Unfortunately neither company did a very good job articulating - then again, most people wouldn't be willing or able to understand the reasons either. Thankfully both companies were able to do the right things for the right reasons.

Still doesn't mean I don't wish I could back my Mac up to my WHS though!

skoal74 wrote:
Wanted to share my experience trying to get AFP-based TM working. See the first post of the following thread over as We Got Served.

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/ ... -netatalk/

I haven't quite got up to this yet - I keep hoping MS will release something for WHS 2011. I ended up just plugging in a hard drive to my Mac Pro to backup my MBP to via a sparse bundle (thanks Drobo for the Time Tamer app - automates the whole process rather nicely) - not ideal, but it works. Thankfully my WHS covers my other machines just fine still.

Thanks