It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:00 pm 

I've been using a HP Media Smart Server for a long time now and have a EX490 but this is my first entry into the world of Macs with the MSS. Have been using Windows for nearly 25 years and now have a MacBook Air as part of my computer arsenal. In any event, I'm very familar with how the MSS behaves when using a Windows based computer on the same network as the MSS but having some trouble with the Mac and it's interaction with the MSS and need some help from you kind folks. I've installed the Mac connector software from the MSS and by all accounts looks like it's working. Can someone point me to a good tutorial I can read about the MSS and Macs, or here are the my questions:

1. It seems that the MSS server does not show up automatically on the Mac and so far, I have to use Finder and hit Connect to Server each time I turn on the MacBook Air. Is there a way for the MacBook to automatically detect the MSS server and connect to it so it's there and connected each time I start up my MacBook on the network? My windows computers seem to do this and show it.

2. And, not as important, but is there a Share icon for the Mac like occurs in Windows so I can click on that to navigate the MSS Shares?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:49 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I recently had the same issue. I was connecting every time Finder opened until I replaced the hard drive in my laptop. I suddenly realized I hadn't setup my MSS with my new router. Once I enabled port forwarding properly on my router for the MSS, my server shows up in Finder without needing to go to the Connect to Server function. Sorry, I don't have a good tutorial for you, and am no expert on WHS or Macs. My first advice would be to make sure your MSS is setup with your router properly.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:11 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

RTFM! :lol:

I too had similar issues. It is addressed in the manual, and you can set the drive up as a share in the Mac networking to start up a connection as soon as you log into the Mac. I am stretching the grey matter here, but IIRC, you set it up in "connect to server" on Mac and then have it connect on startup. The critical part is that your login ID and password on the Mac must be exactly the same as the login ID and PW on the MSS. Then it just works.

Let me know how it goes...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:01 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

This happens to me from time to time also. It does not show right away but after about 5 min it does. I dont think as much of a problem on the server or the connector because the same thing happens with my Windows 7 machine. I think its more of a cross platform problem. I dont even bother with this anymore I guess I got used to it.
I use connnect to when i need files right away and the shares dont show up right away.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:48 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

If I understand what you're asking about, it is the equivalent to a mapped drive in Windows.
To do that with your Mac...

*Go to System Preferences
*Click Accounts and then Login Items
*Hit the + sign
*Navigate to the share on your server and click Add.
You should then see the share name listed where it says "These items listed will open automatically when you log in."
Repeat for multiple shares.

Of course, if I've misunderstood what you're asking, you just read all of this for nothing and I am sorry.

Thanks