It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:09 am 
Founder
Founder

Read the announcement here, download the datasheet here, and my full hands-on review here.

Quote:
HP Launches New Home Server With Enhanced Features for PCs and Macs

PALO ALTO, Calif., Sept 15, 2009 — HP today launched the HP MediaSmart EX490 and EX495 Home Servers, new models offering increased capacity, high-performance processors, more control, new user interface and additional Mac support – all at a lower price.

Based on the Microsoft® Windows Home Server platform, the updated HP MediaSmart Servers have a refined user interface and a web-based home page that makes accessing and using the server easier than ever. Additionally, the new models offer a new video converter with custom settings and profiles that will automatically convert video libraries, including unprotected DVDs.(1)

“The explosion of digital content is attracting a new kind of buyer to the home server space,” said Jason Zajac, vice president and general manager, Worldwide Attach Group, HP. “This buyer wants all the power and capacity that past buyers wanted, but also wants it to be easy to use. The new MediaSmart EX490 and EX495 give them both.”

The MediaSmart Server features a new media collector, which allows users to collect media by computer, media type or file location. The server automatically collects and organizes media files across Macs and PCs and streams it across a home network and the Internet.(2)

The HP EX490 and EX495 offer additional features for Mac users, including administration, media collection and a new disc recovery utility providing bare metal recovery on a Mac using Time Machine.(3)

“The new release of HP MediaSmart Server software and hardware continues HP’s leadership in building compelling functionality on top of the Microsoft Windows Home Server Platform,” said Russ Madlener, director, Solutions Marketing, Microsoft. “HP is delivering a true cross-platform product by adding the ability to administer the server from a Mac using Microsoft’s new Remote Desktop Connection Client for Mac 2.”

The new video converter automatically converts videos, including unprotected DVDs, into a format that can be played at the home or remotely.(4). Users are able to control how their videos are converted by selecting the device the video will be played on or choosing specific video settings using the advanced controls features.

In addition, owners of an iPod Touch and iPhone can download a free HP MediaSmart Server iStream application from the Apple App Store, enabling them to stay connected to their digital media stored on the server. Users can easily access their pictures, listen to their music collections and watch their favorite videos – all streamed directly to their mobile device from their HP MediaSmart Server.

MediaSmart Server EX490 and EX495 features include:
• New HP Media Collector
• New HP Video Converter
• Improved user interface with new web-based home page
• Mac administration, media collections and a new Mac disc recovery feature
• HP Media Streamer
• Server for iTunes
• PC Hard Drive Backup
• Server Backup
• Smart Power Management
• Processors:
o EX495: Intel® Pentium® Dual Core
o EX490: Intel Celeron®; Two gigabytes (GB) of DRAM
• Expandability: additional drives can be added for up to 7 terabytes (TB)
internal storage and 17 TB of storage using internal and external drives.(6)

Pricing and availability
Manufacturer’s suggested retail price for the HP MediaSmart Server EX490 with 1 TB of hard disk storage is $549 while the HP MediaSmart Server EX495 with 1.5 TB is $699.(4)

The HP MediaSmart Server can be preordered beginning today. The servers will
be introduced in select European countries beginning next month.

More information is available at www.hp.com/go/mediasmartserver.

About HP
HP, the world’s largest technology company, simplifies the technology experience for consumers and businesses with a portfolio that spans printing, personal computing, software, services and IT infrastructure. More information about HP (NYSE: HPQ) is available at http://www.hp.com/.

(1) Wired or wireless home network required.
(3) Internet access required and sold separately.
(3) Requires Time Machine, a formatted USB Flash Drive and the original Mac OSX install disc.
(4) Estimated U.S. retail prices. Actual prices may vary.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:19 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Anything new on being able to back up the OS partition on the server? Does not appear to be anything on the HP documentation that touches this. Also, does this automate the tasks of backing up the shares and the backup databases, or is that same as we have now?

1 2.0TB Barracuda® XT 7200 rpm drive
2 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda® XT SATA 7200 rpm drives
1 0.5TB stock drive shipped with MSS
Running HP 3.0 updated software

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:40 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Any Details on that "Smart Power Management" part? Is the only thing that sounds interesting to me.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:09 pm 
Founder
Founder

jam3ohio, this is a limitation of Windows Home Server, you won't see this behavior change in the current version of WHS. Myself and others have provided feedback to MS that people want to be able to back up the OS, and they've acknowledged that they've heard the feedback.

Kaibo, the "Smart Power Management" is most likely the Server Sleep schedule that also existed in the EX48x servers, plus the CPU power management in the BIOS.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:25 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Alex, what did they do new and different for the cooling on the ex495?

HP EX485, 4 GIG, Q8200S, WHS 2011, ITUNES Server

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:37 pm 
Founder
Founder

I'll be posting a closer look at the hardware in the next day or so. They did tell me the heatsinks are different between the EX490 and EX495.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:49 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

That's good news for me...especially with a proposed European Launch next month! :sanjuan:

I bet there will be a lot of bitter, frustrated and angry 480/485 users out there though...only recently bought into the new upgraded version of the MSS and along comes a new, upgraded version of the MSS... :x

I for one will probably not bother with the 2.5 upgrade for my EX470 now...

Regards,
-=Glyn=-

PS. Just read the review - great job as always Alex.

And I have to ask...I know it's not even been released yet but...is it easy to add extra RAM to the 490/495 without going through hoops like the 470/475?

I have to ask this as well...will it support Quad Core? :mrgreen:

And is the PSU a standard replacment type or failing that I wonder if HP will be able to supply this as a spare unlike the present series.

Hark at me...talking about replacing failed parts and it isn't even out yet! :crazy:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:15 pm 
Founder
Founder

Those are good questions that I expect to address in my hardware review. :)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:17 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

GlynH wrote:
That's good news for me...especially with a proposed European Launch next month! :sanjuan:

Hi!

Do you have any confirmed info that EX495 are coming to Europe?
I just receive an e-mail from HP here in Sweden saying that HP are not going to sell EX495 in Europe, only the EX490. :(
I need the Dual Core so I'm going to buy a EX495 from eBay. But I rather buy it from Europe if something would happen to it and I need to claim warranty...

So please tell me that you know for sure that the EX495 are coming to some EU country.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:53 pm 
Founder
Founder

ktd, I've been told that the server will be available in Europe in October, and my contact on the MediaSmart Server marketing team did not lead me to believe at all that there would only be one SKU available, though it is possible.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:55 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I really hope that you are right. :)

I got a new mail today from HP in Sweden referring to my question about world wide warranty and what if I buy a EX495 from the US and their replay was that since HP in Europe aren't going to have the EX495 they can't help in case of warranty claim. I have to send it back to USA.
They said that they will have some spare-parts I might buy but they can't help me with warranty issues...

I guess we have to wait and se the really official news about the EX495 coming to Europe or not. I certainly hope so but if it's not I will buy a EX495 from eBuy or some other online site that ship to Sweden. The EX495 will be mine, oh yes! ;)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:30 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Seems like the EX495 are going to be sold as X510 Data Vault in Sweden. Seems like it's exactly the same unit as the EX495. :)

Thanks