It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:11 pm 
Founder
Founder

Quote:
HP MediaSmart Server 3.0 Software Update Progress

In the latter stages of testing our 3.0 software update, a couple of issues were discovered with the upgrade disks. One was related to compatibility with PowerPack 3 and the other with the media streaming software. Both issues have fixes and we are now going back through our build and testing process. As a result, the 3.0 software update DVD availability will now be in February. While this delay was unexpected, we remain committed to providing this upgrade path for owners of our EX470/475/485/487 products. As previously communicated, these upgrades will be available as a server recovery solution.

The cost of the upgrade DVD has been finalized and will be US$25 or €25.

You can read the full writeup here on the blog.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
Silhouette

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:56 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Thanks Alex for the update. While I would of liked to install and learn the new version patiently during Christmass holidays, I also prefer, as compxxx, to wait for the "perfect" :mrgreen: version, instead of being upset with an installation that doesn't deliver. Let's just hope the next testing cycle will be successful and the last one, so the HP-MSS 3.0 is ready before I buy a 490 :shock:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:27 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Hopefully it will happen sooner than later as I would love the added functionality for my Macs... Only PC that gets used here is the EeePC and that may make its way to the giveaway pile soon with the iPad coming out soon.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:41 am 

From what I recall, when 2.5 came out and HP said Ex47x users wouldn’t get the new features, the user community was very upset and expressed their frustration and displeasure. This was largely before reports of some of the problems you mentioned, so it was really just 47x users wanting the new features. Some people (myself included) said that they would be willing to pay a small amount to get the new features if that was the only way to get HP to decide to relase the 2.5 update for 47x customers.

Of course, while HP was dragging their heels on the update, they released the 49x series with the 3.0 software. That, combined with the unaddressed problems in the 2.5 release affecting 48x customers appears to have resulted in the decision to put out the 3.0 release for both 47x and 48x customers rather than trying to fix the problems in an updated 2.5 release. So while paing $25 (which seems a bit on the high side to me) may have been somethat acceptable for a “new feature release”, it later become much less acceptable because it turned into a “only way to get bug fixes” release that happened to include some new features for 48x customers.

But I really wish that HP had just decided to post the ISO images and only charge a fee for poeple that wanted physical media delivered.

Thanks