It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:14 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

yakuza wrote:
That's a great question, let's gather up a few questions over the next day or so and I'll submit a bunch at once to HP, rather than ping them with several individual questions.

WOW thanks for offering to ask questions, that is awesome!

More and more ISPs are blocking port 80 and I feel even 443 will be targeted more as well. I'd love for HP to allow a resolution to this dilemma so that we can continue to use their current and future features such as the ones listed in the 2.5 update.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:32 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Alex: Please make sure you add as one of you comments back to HP that we 1st gen MSS owners are feeling left out with their software upgrades to the HP 48X machines. This is the second HP product that they have left me high and dry on (a few months ago Santa delivered an HP MediaSmart Connect n280x) and I recently had to send my 14 month old HP laptop back to get the motherboard replaced for lots of $$$.

Real or not, the silent treatment we are getting from HP currently speaks volumes about their lack of customer care & service. This also may not bode well for the many people like me that have been loyal and ardent supporters of their products to recommend them to our friends and family. Going forward we all face the inevitable replacement of our current MSS machines, media extenders, and desktop/laptop PCs and I for one will be remembering the performance provided by HP when purchasing my replacement equipment or when asked for recommendations.

Thanks…..

Bob

PC2: HP Laptop w/ Vista/64 Home Premium SP1
PC3: Dell Desktop w/ Win XP Home SP3
HP Mediasmart Connect n280x
Linksys WRT54G

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:46 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

rhbeall wrote:
Alex: Please make sure you add as one of you comments back to HP that we 1st gen MSS owners are feeling left out with their software upgrades to the HP 48X machines. This is the second HP product that they have left me high and dry on (a few months ago Santa delivered an HP MediaSmart Connect n280x) and I recently had to send my 14 month old HP laptop back to get the motherboard replaced for lots of $$$.

Real or not, the silent treatment we are getting from HP currently speaks volumes about their lack of customer care & service. This also may not bode well for the many people like me that have been loyal and ardent supporters of their products to recommend them to our friends and family. Going forward we all face the inevitable replacement of our current MSS machines, media extenders, and desktop/laptop PCs and I for one will be remembering the performance provided by HP when purchasing my replacement equipment or when asked for recommendations.

Thanks…..

Bob

I can give you the "real" HP answer to your questions.... Buy a 48x !!!

granted, They may not actually say that, but they're thinkin it!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:31 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

burnside wrote:
... it doesn't look like we can specify which port. Since many ISPs block port 80, am I right to assume that this app would not work for those whose port 80 is blocked (even though port 443 works fine)?

If you are using TZO you could get them to redirect the port...

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:39 pm 
Founder
Founder

rhbeall wrote:
Alex: Please make sure you add as one of you comments back to HP that we 1st gen MSS owners are feeling left out with their software upgrades to the HP 48X machines.

Hi Bob, I have already conveyed this to HP, and continue to get the silent treatment myself. :(

Terry Walsh indicates in his coverage of the announcement that HP has told him EX47x owners can expect an update in May, let's hope HP is giving him good info on that.
Terry Walsh wrote:
Unfortunately, none of the above features will be available to EX470 & 475 owners, but HP have confirmed that the previously announced Mac Backup and Amazon S3 online backup features will be available for you guys to download in May.

I've asked HP if they can confirm this but have not heard back.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:04 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

burnside wrote:
yakuza wrote:
That's a great question, let's gather up a few questions over the next day or so and I'll submit a bunch at once to HP, rather than ping them with several individual questions.

WOW thanks for offering to ask questions, that is awesome!

More and more ISPs are blocking port 80 and I feel even 443 will be targeted more as well. I'd love for HP to allow a resolution to this dilemma so that we can continue to use their current and future features such as the ones listed in the 2.5 update.

Can you route incoming data from one port to another port of your MSS. ie You type myserver:567 and your router reroutes that to your server but at port 80 instead. I know I've seen this down before.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:05 pm 
Founder
Founder

themirage wrote:

Can you route incoming data from one port to another port of your MSS. ie You type myserver:567 and your router reroutes that to your server but at port 80 instead. I know I've seen this down before.

Many routers will allow you to configure an external port number that is different than the internal port, accomplishing exactly what you're suggesting above.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:07 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

yakuza wrote:
themirage wrote:

Many routers will allow you to configure an external port number that is different than the internal port, accomplishing exactly what you're suggesting above.

Thats what I though. I think that would address burnside's comment. Take care of the problem with the router and not the server of ISP blocking.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:28 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I'm getting in fine from the outside using port 443, so that's good. Now with your port 567 suggestion, that 567 would have to be appended at the end of the url, correct? If so, would you think accessing the video streams on the iphone app would work if I set the server name as myserver.homeserver.com:567 ?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:33 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I wouldn't know since I don't have the app. Now I do know, using my touch web browser, that you can type in urls using :port numbers and it works perfect.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:46 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Question for them:

For me, the SATA Port (lack of) on the new machines is still an issue they haven't addressed. If it's on the box, will a future release ever fix it?

Russ

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:58 am 

yakuza wrote:

Terry Walsh wrote:
Unfortunately, none of the above features will be available to EX470 & 475 owners, but HP have confirmed that the previously announced Mac Backup and Amazon S3 online backup features will be available for you guys to download in May.

I've asked HP if they can confirm this but have not heard back.

If Terry is correct that all us EX47X owners can expect from HP is Amazon S3 online backup (which is already available via Jungle Disk) and Mac Backup, then that's really short sighted by HP and us EX47X owners are going to feel really burned by HP. [-X

MediaSmartServer.net Wiki, it's loaded with helpful information about WHS and the HP MediaSmart Server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:08 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Just adding my voice to those already on here. I would like to see this upgrade for the 47x as well. I would even pay something for it (although I don't think I should)

CW

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:52 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Quote:
Just adding my voice to those already on here. I would like to see this upgrade for the 47x as well. I would even pay something for it (although I don't think I should)

I totally agree, Do they think by not giving us the upgrade we'll upgrade to the new unit? I'll build my own before that ever happens.

What are the chances some of these new features come through as single add-in's for us?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:45 pm 
Founder
Founder

HP has confirmed that they intend to release the S3 and Mac Backup features for the EX47x in the May timeframe.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next