It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:03 pm 
Founder
Founder

Today HP is announcing the upcoming release of a Software Update to the Windows Home Server powered EX485 and EX487 MediaSmart Server. The primary new features delivered in the 2.5 release are a Remote Video Streaming capability, a video conversion utility, and the HP iStream iPhone Application for remote media access. The update will also include several software enhancements and bug fixes. The 2.5 Software Update will be a free update to EX485/EX487 customers and will be available in late April.

Read my full coverage here in the blog.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:15 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Any relationship between this and what I posted earlier: http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3986 ?

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:22 pm 
Founder
Founder

This isn't supposed to be available until late April plus it's only for the EX48x servers, so no, I do not believe so.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:41 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I guess owners of the first generation are just not worthy enough.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:53 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Hate to say it but I said this would happen to the original owners.....
The original MSS' are obsolete in hp's mind.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:42 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

While I do feel badly for the early adopters having to wait for updates (I know how this feels particularly from the perspective of one who makes a significant purchase on a state of the art camera, only to see it eclipsed in an ever shortening time frame... :crazy: ), I am nonetheless excited about this announcement!

In addition to the new features mentioned in Alex' blog, I can't help but wonder if one of the bug fixes mentioned will finally release us from clearing erroneous missing/out of date/not running antivirus and firewall messages every time we boot up one of the clients on our home network? Now that would be a welcome update!

I'm particularly interested in the new video streaming/transcoding piece - it may revamp my current workflow, which works, but is quite time consuming...

Looking forward to it! :mss:

Anita and Bob's Website - http://anitabob.com

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:59 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I would happily pay a small amount for an update, EX470 software to EX485 software.
If just HP could offer something like that...

APC Smart-UPS 1000 VA

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:18 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

BullHead wrote:
I would happily pay a small amount for an update, EX470 software to EX485 software.
If just HP could offer something like that...

I agree, even though I'm not a 47x user. I am use to being a 1st gen user to later find yourself being a beta tester who doesn't get any of corrections.

BobV55, I as well am a photographer and know how quickly camera models change from year to year. [Canons Rule \:D/ ]

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:23 am 

This looks like some great improvements to the EX48x software and I'm glad to see that HP is still investing time and effort in the MSS to improve it. However, I'm very disappointed that it seemingly appears that no effort is being put into updating the EX47x series software to make it on par with the EX48x. HP won't even give a timetable or details on an update, which speaks volumes in my opinion. It seems that HP is forgetting that without all the EX47x users out there buying, using and talking up the MSS, the EX48x would likely never have come to fruition. HP, please do not turn your head on the folks that have supported you for so long.

MediaSmartServer.net Wiki, it's loaded with helpful information about WHS and the HP MediaSmart Server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:54 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

themirage wrote:
BobV55, I as well am a photographer and know how quickly camera models change from year to year. [Canons Rule \:D/ ]

I'm actually a Nikon guy, but I don't get into the Canon vs Nikon thing...instead, I accept that they're both excellent cameras, and it's simply a matter of preference...does "I'm a PC" ring a bell? But watching the parade of new and improved, and seeing yesterday's technology phased out with little or no fanfare (in spite of how recently THEY were the new and improved) makes me sympathetic to the early adopters who are patiently waiting for updates to their 47X models.

I hope HP does come out with some improvements for these folks...that would be nice to see!

Anita and Bob's Website - http://anitabob.com

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:46 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Its a double wammy if you are in The UK like me

I had a home build Server and a repeating 180 day trial
Supply of the EX 47* dried up middle of last year. I waited and waited for news on the update which turned out to be the EX48*
It got released in the US and waited for the UK release. Which still has not happend. By all accounts may not ever happen. I really wanted the extra functions of the EX48*
I ran out of serial numbers and got fed up with doing a server reinstall and went out an got a second hand Ex470

I am happy with the Ex470 but do feel disapointed in not having the updates or being able to pay for the upgraded software

ern

Macbook Air, Mac Mini
Viewbook Win8.1 Laptop
Acer Revo W7 PC for recording TV

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:31 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I am furious. I purchased an EX 47X, upgraded the RAM and Processor and have been shut out on 48X series upgrades because my machine "can't handle them".

I was thinking of adding an additional MediaSmart 48X series; but what's the point of supporting a company that turns its back on early adopters, and forces a hardware refresh on you for what should amount to a simple software upgrade?

F-you HP. Your grab for cash has failed on me.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:31 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

glide wrote:
I am furious. I purchased an EX 47X, upgraded the RAM and Processor and have been shut out on 48X series upgrades because my machine "can't handle them".

I was thinking of adding an additional MediaSmart 48X series; but what's the point of supporting a company that turns its back on early adopters, and forces a hardware refresh on you for what should amount to a simple software upgrade?

F-you HP. Your grab for cash has failed on me.

Sounds like someone is going to just buy the OEM version of WHS and make his own box.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:11 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I have a question about the iphone streaming. It looks like we will be able to enter our remote server url into the app as so:

But it doesn't look like we can specify which port. Since many ISPs block port 80, am I right to assume that this app would not work for those whose port 80 is blocked (even though port 443 works fine)?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:10 pm 
Founder
Founder

That's a great question, let's gather up a few questions over the next day or so and I'll submit a bunch at once to HP, rather than ping them with several individual questions.

Thanks