It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:08 pm 
Founder
Founder

You've probably noticed that there have been some changes to MediaSmartServer.net. Specifically, the forum software has been upgraded to phpBB3, I've added a blog as the entry point to MediaSmartServer.net, and the color scheme is new. I've tried to keep things as familiar as possible yet still benefit from the new features and security enhancement provided by the new software.

Known issues:
None at this time.

If you have problems logging in to the new forums, please send email to webmaster AT mediasmartserver DOT net. I will do my best to respond within 24 hours, and most likely will be able to respond more quickly than that. Tell me your username, email address, and the nature of the problem.

I welcome any feedback, and hope you enjoy the changes.

Thanks,
Alex

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:00 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Looks good Alex, at first I though I had come onto the wrong site.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:04 am 
Founder
Founder

mannyo wrote:
Looks good Alex, at first I though I had come onto the wrong site.

Ouch, that makes it sound like it really didn't look good before! :lol: Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:56 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Excellent job! :beer:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:24 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Whoa!!! I stop trolling the site for a few hours and you've given it a facelift!!! :)

So far it looks good.

EDIT: I really like the different "views" that you now have (e.g. View unanswered or active posts) in addition to the "view new posts" that was already there.

My gadget blog: http://www.gadgetinsane.com

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:56 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Very nice. Board upgrade is great, and the front page is really cool.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:41 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I did notice a "problem". The email notifications to subscribed threads now only include the links to the post and not the contents of the posted message. As a result, it now forces me to link back to the forum to see the new post.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:34 pm 
Founder
Founder

Thanks for the feedback, glad everyone is largely enjoying the upgrades. I've been working on this, testing, styling, etc for a couple weeks off and on, so it's nice to get it out, especially since the upgrade went really smoothly.

All4Fun wrote:
I did notice a "problem". The email notifications to subscribed threads now only include the links to the post and not the contents of the posted message. As a result, it now forces me to link back to the forum to see the new post.

Yeah, phpbb3 now includes a lot of the features I had manually had to "mod" into the old phpbb2. The built-in functionality may not be quite as featured, but I can mod these in if they are important. I'll wait for more feedback to see how important this is to visitors.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:05 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

add my vote to liking email notifications better the old way with the post included int he text and not just a link.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:29 pm 
Bonhomme

very nice,
Ilove the upgrades

Sorry for my english but the french part of me take over some times.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:07 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

yakuza wrote:
Thanks for the feedback, glad everyone is largely enjoying the upgrades. I've been working on this, testing, styling, etc for a couple weeks off and on, so it's nice to get it out, especially since the upgrade went really smoothly.

All4Fun wrote:

Yeah, phpbb3 now includes a lot of the features I had manually had to "mod" into the old phpbb2. The built-in functionality may not be quite as featured, but I can mod these in if they are important. I'll wait for more feedback to see how important this is to visitors.

So, with few replies in this thread, I'm thinking that the 2 posts related to the email notifications should make it important statistically speaking. :)

Yakuza, in all seriousness, I really hope that you consider adding the functionality back in. I travel with my 'berry quite a bit and being able to see the replies right in the mail message does make it convenient when I'm not at my laptop.

Thanks for your consideration.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:18 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

All4Fun wrote:
Yakuza, in all seriousness, I really hope that you consider adding the functionality back in. I travel with my 'berry quite a bit and being able to see the replies right in the mail message does make it convenient when I'm not at my laptop.

Thanks for your consideration.

Count another vote for putting the body of the text & the posters name in the Notification email please. :P

Makes it so much easier when mobile on my iPhone and when I'm feeling lazy at home! 8)

No rush...today would be fine... :wink:

Good job!

Thanks & regards,
-=Glyn=-

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:55 am 
Founder
Founder

Trust me, I hear you all, I'm primarily letting all the changes "settle in" before making more modifications, as I want to be sure there aren't any issues with the new software before I go mucking with it too much. I'll poke around for a mod to improve the verbosity of email notifications. This hasn't been a high priority for me specifically as I use an RSS reader on my PocketPC phone to keep up with the forums when I'm not at my computer, for those of you with mobile data plans this is a great feature.

On that note, you won't believe the amount of bounced emails I get, usually for people who have subscribed for notifications but use a public email provider like Yahoo or Google and have "sender quota restrictions" that only allow so many incoming mails from a single originating host in order to cut back on spam. So if you aren't getting notifications, this is likely why.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:03 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

yakuza wrote:
Trust me, I hear you all, I'm primarily letting all the changes "settle in" before making more modifications, as I want to be sure there aren't any issues with the new software before I go mucking with it too much. I'll poke around for a mod to improve the verbosity of email notifications. This hasn't been a high priority for me specifically as I use an RSS reader on my PocketPC phone to keep up with the forums when I'm not at my computer, for those of you with mobile data plans this is a great feature.

On that note, you won't believe the amount of bounced emails I get, usually for people who have subscribed for notifications but use a public email provider like Yahoo or Google and have "sender quota restrictions" that only allow so many incoming mails from a single originating host in order to cut back on spam. So if you aren't getting notifications, this is likely why.

I wasn't aware of the RSS feature. I may try and use that and see how that works. Thanks.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:59 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

thanks for the RSS idea.

that works for me!

Thanks