It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:50 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:32 pm 
Founder
Founder

At the bottom left of every thread there is a drop-down that lists "Quick-Mod Tools". At the upper right corner of every forum there is a "Moderator Control Panel". Further Moderator activities or limitations should take place in the Moderator forum...

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:43 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Ahhhh... Did not see the bottom and could not find it in the control panel... Thanks.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:07 pm 
Founder
Founder

All4Fun wrote:
yakuza wrote:
Thanks for the feedback, glad everyone is largely enjoying the upgrades. I've been working on this, testing, styling, etc for a couple weeks off and on, so it's nice to get it out, especially since the upgrade went really smoothly.

All4Fun wrote:
I did notice a "problem". The email notifications to subscribed threads now only include the links to the post and not the contents of the posted message. As a result, it now forces me to link back to the forum to see the new post.

Yeah, phpbb3 now includes a lot of the features I had manually had to "mod" into the old phpbb2. The built-in functionality may not be quite as featured, but I can mod these in if they are important. I'll wait for more feedback to see how important this is to visitors.

So, with few replies in this thread, I'm thinking that the 2 posts related to the email notifications should make it important statistically speaking. :)

Yakuza, in all seriousness, I really hope that you consider adding the functionality back in. I travel with my 'berry quite a bit and being able to see the replies right in the mail message does make it convenient when I'm not at my laptop.

Thanks for your consideration.

Ok, I got a few free minutes and found a mod that accomplishes this for both Subscription Notification and PM Notification emails. I've installed the mod, please let me know how it works or if there are any issues. 8)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:27 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

[quote="yakuza]Ok, I got a few free minutes and found a mod that accomplishes this for both Subscription Notification and PM Notification emails. I've installed the mod, please let me know how it works or if there are any issues. 8)[/quote]

Alex, I most definitely will. Thanks for implementing the mod. I definitely knew it worked very early this morning overnight after getting notifications for a lot of the spam posts. :D

I'll keep an eye on it and provide any feedback.

Thanks again. Richard

My gadget blog: http://www.gadgetinsane.com

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:44 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Well Alex, I hate to say it but I haven't received any email notifications since approximately 5 AM ET this morning (Oct. 9/08) for my subscribed posts and I noticed that several of them have been updated during the course of the day.

I am using a "yahoo" email address for notifications. Just in case that domain is being filtered, I will go into my profile and change my email address to a "real" address and see how that goes.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:55 pm 
Founder
Founder

Yup, I get many emails a day bounced from forum members, mostly due to "SENDER QUOTA REJECTION". Basically, Yahoo, Gmail, and others limit the amount of email they will accept from my mail servers, in order to deter spam. There's nothing you or I can do about this except to use a mail provider that does not have sender quotas. To me, this is a further argument to use the RSS feature of the forums to keep up to date. :)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:57 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

yakuza wrote:
Yup, I get many emails a day bounced from forum members, mostly due to "SENDER QUOTA REJECTION". Basically, Yahoo, Gmail, and others limit the amount of email they will accept from my mail servers, in order to deter spam. There's nothing you or I can do about this except to use a mail provider that does not have sender quotas. To me, this is a further argument to use the RSS feature of the forums to keep up to date. :)

Just got the notification immediately following your post apparently. I think changing my email address helped. :)

Good stuff. Thank you.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:13 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

I also got one of the new notification for a PM today and must say that I really do like this. BIG improvement. THANKS!

And speaking of RSS... I probably need to get into the 21st century and start using RSS feeds. Any suggestions on the best way to get started?

A thought for another improvement: Is there any way you could add a link in the "last read" display that will take one to the LAST POST? Would be very helpful... I've started using this on a couple other boards recently and have found it saves me a lot of time...

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:17 pm 
Founder
Founder

Thanks for the feedback, I'll poke around for a mod that does that...

As for RSS, I do it a couple ways. I have the RSS feed set in a gadget on my Google homepage, as a gadget in my Google toolbar at work, and using pRSS on my Windows Mobile phone. This keeps me in touch without having to visit the board constantly, for when I'm at work or away from a computer.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:22 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I've noticed a big improvement in the subscription information sent out. I don't have time to be here is often as I would like, so I really depend on interesting information sent in the thread I do subscribe too.

I would like to see a Thank You button added. I would like to be able to quickly say Thank You for a useful Post with creating a post just to say thanks.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:23 pm 
ubermensch

Code:
I would like to see a Thank You button added. I would like to be able to quickly say Thank You for a useful Post with creating a post just to say thanks.

A very good idea.

Yak, my request would be to limit the multiple quoting to 2x. Some of the threads are getting to be a PITA to read, or should I say re-read. The quoting is nice, but sometimes just good old copy and paste of a germain portion of a post is more succinct. Just my 2cents. My 5cents is limit it to 1x :P

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:26 pm 
Founder
Founder

The default is 3x, I agree that usually 2x at most should be sufficient. And a Thank You button... well, what next, am I going to have to write forum software that posts for you all? :lol:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:39 pm 
ubermensch

yakuza wrote:
The default is 3x, I agree that usually 2x at most should be sufficient. And a Thank You button... well, what next, am I going to have to write forum software that posts for you all? :lol:

OH! YES PLEASE! That's ever so nice of you! :lol: :lol:

By the way, Yak, I don't have my glasses...what does that sign under your post say?? Looks like "Mr. Goodwrench" maybe???? :P :P :P

:arrow: This is me getting kicked outta here....

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:21 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

While I like the idea of a "thank-you", I would hesitate to have it generate a PM given the limits on mail and our normal inclination not to clean house very often! On the other hand I also would not start a flag on the actual threads or posts either as many times they come across as "gospel - one size fits all" to the newer members. I have seen both of these approaches get out of hand other places.

I would suggest the button generate a new post quoting the FIRST LINE ONLY of a post and just contain the words "Thanks for your post -- it has helped me."

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:42 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

The Thank You Button does not generate anything more than a small thank you note at the bottom of any message where the thank you is given. VBulletin forums have been using it for some time and it's more handy for not generating post just to say thanks. You do have the option to have a thank you button with every post, so it can become another way of showing agreement or support for someones post in the middle of a bunch of posts and I've never seen a thank you button comment ever generate a PM to anyone.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next