It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:07 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Unfortunately, I have... And it became such a pain that I changed my e-mail address on that board to one I NEVER, EVER look at!

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:37 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Well, I will say I'm sorry you have had bad experiences with a thank you button. I'm sure getting a PM from anyone just for saying thanks would bother me also. I guess that would be the choice of the admin what happens when you Say Thanks by just clicking on a button.

Below is an example of what it looks like in any given post that receives a Thank You and the date the Thanks was given.

In This image is the statistcs from the Thanks Given. The Top Thanks indicate how many times a member stops to say thanks.
The Next Group of thanks indicates how many times a member has been thanked and the number of Posts the member was been thanked on. The only other Option I have ever seen was to give a member a message credit for giving a thanks to someone.

It's just a suggestion for what it's worth. I know on this forum I've read a lot of posts that were very informational but I hate to clutter up a thread with a message that just says "Thanks for the Post" but I can if that is the wishes of the Admin.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:17 am 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Hey, I like that, sirdrahcir!

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:56 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Thanks for saying so JohnBick, it's what I was talking about when I brought up the idea. I would expect there is a hack around to make it useful here but I've never dealt with PHPBB Forums, so I don't know for sure. I can get the hack from VBulletin and maybe the admin can get it to work here. Let me know and I'll look into it if there is an interest here.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:09 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

sirdrahcir wrote:
Thanks for saying so JohnBick, it's what I was talking about when I brought up the idea. I would expect there is a hack around to make it useful here but I've never dealt with PHPBB Forums, so I don't know for sure. I can get the hack from VBulletin and maybe the admin can get it to work here. Let me know and I'll look into it if there is an interest here.

To tell you the truth, when you brought up the idea, I thought it was a real "dumb" idea :) that we actually needed an admin to put in functionality to say "Thank You". Then, I saw John support it and I thought it was even dumber. :D

EDIT: I'm just joking of course in case the humour doesn't come through.

I now understand better what you were trying to convey and the screenshots helped A LOT!!! Thanks for providing them. I understand a lot better now and it's a wonderful suggestion.

However, I guess it's now in the hands of the great forum god (Alex) to see if it's worth the time and effort. I wouldn't know what's involved in putting functionality like that in. Perhaps it takes 5 minutes with a mod or maybe it takes a lot of coding.

Don't know but it's a great suggestion regardless of whether it gets put in or not.

My gadget blog: http://www.gadgetinsane.com

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:40 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Since there is a small interest in this hack, I found that PHPBB does have some information about it but I'm not a member there.

I did find more information about the hack and VBulletin.org

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthre ... did=165673

[AJAX] Post Thank You Hack is a plugin so installation is fairly easy.

Quote:
Post Thank You Hack 7.7

About this hack:
One of the biggest problems on forums as you may know is 'posts boosting'. There are users who LOVE to say 'thanks' when ever they can. How can it hurt? Their post count goes up, they have nothing to loose.

There are also users who really like to express their thanks to post but don't like posting a post that looks like they're post boosting.

Then comes the moderators who have to delete people's thanks yous so a thread can look readable with out the thanks yous thrown around.

Finally comes the posters of these useful posts. They have no idea how many people really likes their posts if only some people say 'thanks'.

What this hack does is fix ALL these problems - except those users who like post boosting. This places a button called 'thanks.' When a user clicks on it, it places his username in a box right under the post saying that so-and-so says 'thanks' for the post. Every-one who clicks is placed in one box.

By giving your users the extra feature, you forum will look allot nice and organized. It is a guaranteed liking by ALL the members of your forum.

Features:

* Uses vBulletin easy Product installer/updater/uninstaller
* Uses AJAX technology so your users don't have to refresh when they thank.
* Places an easy to use button next to the edit button
* Separate looks for postbit and postbit_legacy
* Places all Thanks into one small box
* Uses only ONE query every time you view a showthread page!
* Users can't thank twice
* Option to not allow users to thank their own post
* Guests don't see 'thanks' button
* Counts how many thanks a user gives
* Counts how many thanks a post gets
* Shows how many thanks a user gave in every post of his
* Shows how many thanks a user gave in profile
* Shows how many thanks a user got
* Shows how many posts or a user are thanked
* Shows info in profile
* Search for a users thanked posts
* Search for all thanked posts
* Administrator can remove all Thanks from a single post
* Users can remove their own Thanks
* Turn on and off hack totally
* Turn on and off hack for only some forums
* Option to turn off hack for all but the first post of a thread
* Option to turn off hack for all but the first post of a thread in specific forums
* Option to turn off hack view of date for specific or all forums
* Option to add to post count when someone clicks 'thanks'.
* Option to give a user who receives thanks reputation points.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:01 pm 
Founder
Founder

I've been away for a couple days, working on another project for a friend in need, and I'm glad to see some good discussion on this. I'm familiar with the "Thank You"/Reputation points/Cash concept, and to be honest didn't think it was a useful feature for this forum. I hadn't felt like people were overcrowding threads with "Thank you" posts, so wasn't really considering this. I'll stew on it some more and look around at the various mods to see if there's one that accomplishes what you are proposing yet is reasonably unobtrusive.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:14 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

:offtopic: I do hope, Alex. that you noticed your promotion from "just" an MS MVP to "forum god" as noted in All4fun's post recently...

Do you really walk on water, or do you just know where the stones are?

:beer:

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:39 pm 
Founder
Founder

No walking on water, I just know how to wield the power. :mrgreen: :lol:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:45 pm 
ubermensch

Quote:
Then, I saw John support it and I thought it was even dumber. :D

EDIT: I'm just joking of course in case the humour doesn't come through.

Hey, no harm taken...you can't go wrong betting against me...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:52 pm 
ubermensch

So, about the "Thank you" button controversy, I guess that means the "F&%k you" button is out?

You were all thinking it....admit it.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:13 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

First let me say the site looks very nice.
I am pressed for time so I have not read through this upgrades thread and I apologize if this has already been hashed over.

When I receive a notification email for a thread I'm watching the link that is included used to take me directly to the most recent post in the thread. Now it takes me to a login screen instead and I have to login to be taken to the most recent post in the thread. There is a second link that takes me to the beginning of the thread which does not require a login and I then have to click to go to the last page to see the newest post.

I would rather not be forced to login or go through multiple clicks just to read the latest post in the thread. I liked the old notification messages that provided one click access to the most recent post in a thread.

Is there a reason this was changed to function this way?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:29 pm 
Founder
Founder

If you don't click the "Remember me" checkbox when you log in, you'll have to log in every time you visit the site. If you are having continued login problems, I recommend clearing the cache on your browser. Following emails links works fine for me. If none of that solves your problems, tell me what browser and OS you are using.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:21 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

yakuza wrote:
If you don't click the "Remember me" checkbox when you log in, you'll have to log in every time you visit the site. If you are having continued login problems, I recommend clearing the cache on your browser. Following emails links works fine for me. If none of that solves your problems, tell me what browser and OS you are using.

Sorry If I am not explaining well. I do not have a login problem. I login when I want to post. I don't login if all I'm going to do is read. Personally I don't use those remember me check boxes because I prefer that I am the only one able to post under my login regardless of who happens to be sitting in front of the computer. I you use that check box (Which would make a lot of sense for you) this would explain why you are not asked to login when you click the links yet I am. We did not used to have to login when clicking the link in the email that's all I'm saying. For some reason the link is different since the upgrade and it is unfortunate IMHO. Happens regardless of email client or web browser. IE, Firefox, Outlook and Thunderbird all exhibit the same behavior. Takes you to a mediasmartserver.net login screen when clicking the link. After logging in it redirects to the post.

This is a link for an old notification email prior to the upgrade that takes you there without asking you to login:
viewtopic.php?p=10986#10986
This is a link from the new notification email that takes you to the mediasmartserver login screen if you are not already logged in:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2346&p=20768&e=20768

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:29 am 
Founder
Founder

Thanks for the detailed explanation, I now think I understand the issue you are describing. There may be some difference in the forum software that cached login info in the previous version that does not cache it now. I am not aware of any such differences, but the behavior you describe seems to suggest such a difference. Unfortunately I think it's just a behavior change we'll have to live with, sorry...

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next