It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:36 pm 

I have no idea where the EX487 documentation is, either the docs which came with the unit or current docs online. I'm sure this question could be answered there.

Is the eSATA port on an EX487 hot swappable?

For that matter, are the 3 data disks hot swappable? I assume the OS disk isn't, simply because it has the OS on it.

I use version 3.3.1 of HP's software.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:45 pm 

The drives in your EX487 are hot swappable. You can have WHS remove them from the storage pool and then remove and replace them without issue. If you were to remove a drive in use then a couple things could happen (1) If the drive was being written to you could corrupt it when removing it and (2) WHS will complain the drive is missing and may also complain your client data is corrupt. Of course putting the drive back in would resolve that if you did not corrupt it when you removed it. The same is true for an eSATA connected drive.

Now for unmanaged disks you should be able to install and remove them without issue provided they are not being written to at the time you disconnect them. Again this can lead to corrupting the drive itself.

Now some chose to power their servers down to install or remove drives as a precaution. I am not quite certain if you RDP to your server and use the Safe Removal option to remove a connected device say a USB or eSATA connected drive.

So yes you can do it but you need to understand what can happen if you do it at the wrong time.

As for the documentation from HP on the eSATA port I recall when I first wanted to know about that on my first EX470 I found little to no information in my manual about that but found a wealth of infomation on it from sites like this. Mind you the use of SATA Drives was new for me at the time as everything I used up until that point was IDE and SCSI Drives and a few other type of drives which makes me feel really old just to mention then like the old ST506 Drives.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:27 pm 

Thanks for the detailed info. It sounds like if I take the usual precautions of "ejecting" an eSATA drive, then I can simply disconnect it.

Since you didn't call a hard drive a "Winchester", you can't be that old. ;)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:28 pm 

As far as documentation goes, I'll probably start from scratch with Vail when it's released anyhow, and at that point I'll read the docs (that I hope come with it).

Thanks