It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:42 am 

My EX487 is too loud for my tastes. I'd like to replace the power supply and fans with quieter ones. Can anyone recommend a specific power supply to buy? Also, what size are the cooling fans on the back?

Any advice?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:52 pm 

The cooling fan should be 40mm its probably caked up with dust. Its not the easiest thing to get out but not exactly difficult. I recall someone posting a message in the forums but do not exactly recall where about how they were able to disassemble, clean and lubricate the fan assy to quiet it down. The real key here is to get a good fan with the same or higher CFM rating.

If you want to change out the PSU the only known and confirmed supplier of direct replacement PSU is Overtek LTD in the UK. I have one of their newer PSU's here which are actually reconfigured for use in the MediaSmart Servers because their pin outs are different. You can purchase PSU's compatable for use but you would have to rewire them and terminate a bunch of wires that are not needed.

Here is a link to the sites WIKI which has information on changing out a PSU:
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/wiki/in ... wer_Supply

Here is a review I wrote about the direct replacement PSU's currently offered by OverTek LTD:
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/07 ... rt-server/

I found the post I mentioned about about cleaning and lubricating the PSU Fan but it was for an EX47x Server PSU but here it is for your review:
viewtopic.php?p=66581#p66581

If you do happen to take your PSU out and extract the fan can you kindly take a picture of it with the label side. This label will provide information on the fan and if we were to look it up we could possibly obtain the full specs of the fan and then find a suitable replacement. Just extremely careful as PSU's do contain stored voltages. So if your not comfortable with this then any electric repair house or any experienced technician you may know might be the best way to approach working on your PSU.

Good Luck and please write back with what you chose to do....

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks