It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:46 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:15 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

My EX-485 is working well enough for me, though I am stuck at version 2.17.24261 and it hasn't wanted to accept an update since January of last year.

HP's suggestion at the time was to reinstall the entire server, but with 3 Terabytes of data and a number of (to me) critical real-time applications, I was unwilling to go through the necessary restore procedure . . . and, now, with 5 TB online even moreso.

This is in a home environment, though I run a mail server (Mercury), a voice recording application called VRS (with 3 active channels) and a data capture application (a scripted, very old Xtalk application) on the machine and serve files to 4 workstations who have their 'my documents' folders homed to the server (and a few laptops) as well as media files to a PS3 and two media players. And it all works well.

There's a lot of functionality though the configuration is simple enough because evrything is hosted on the pooled drives (though for some reason the 20 gig system partition filled up with just a few add-ins, so I compressed the 'C' drive).

The obvious question is whether the collective thinks I should bother buying and installing the upgrade to version 3.0 - or am I better off just leaving the system as is, because 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:16 am 
Founder
Founder

Is there something you're wanting from the 3.0 upgrade? Given your config with some important applications, I'd probably not mess with it as long as the current system is working well.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
bramfrank
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:39 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

To be honest I'd say no. I upgraded my 485's CPU and everything went great. So, I decided to upgrade to 3.0 to finally (hopefully) get Twonky working correctly streaming directly to my TV. BIG MISTAKE! If everything is working, just accept it and keep everything working. Upgrading to 3.0 worked great for me for a couple days. After that I realized that Twonky was still not working correctly. Later, I had issues where the backup master was erroring out and locking (requiring a hard reset daily) up the server. Also, I have issues with my website online since the new software has issues with my router configuration. The old version had no issues at all. It has taken me months to troubleshoot everything and it still errors out some things at times.

Summation:

IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT! :P

Viral

HP EX485, 8.00TB Storage

Thanks